Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

ACC Season Thread

I figure we might as well get one of these going.

Watching UNC play Miss St. tonight in Hawaii - one of those games where EVERYTHING is going UNC's way (including a 3/4 court shot to end the first half). I think Miss St. has a young new Coach and they're just not 'together' yet.

Heels have a lot of 'utes' -- but they can play. I figure we'll lose at least 10-12 games, maybe more. Hopefully we make it to the Dance.

I haven't seen everybody yet, but it seems Duke, NCSU and Maryland are the Top 3 in the league this year - not sure about others.

GO HEELS!!
    Gang Way!

I think the Terps are in for a good season. I expect (and hope) that they'll improve steadily as the year progresses, as they are very young. 5 freshmen, 5 sophs, and only 4 jr/sr's total. They appear to be deep, regularly playing 10 guys. They are BIG. Alex Len has matured physically and his game has matched his growth. Mitchell and Cleare are true widebody's. Even the 2 guard Wells is thick. They are relentless on the boards.

The problem that I can see occurring is that, while there are a ton of scorers on this team... I have yet to find anyone who is a good shooter. FT's may again be a problem this season. But- I don't think too many teams will be able to throw a zone defense against them though, because of the rebounding. They had something like 18 offensive rebounds against Kentucky! Stopping them from crashing the board while running a zone D might be difficult at best.

In any case, I think they will do very well this season. Outside shot at the ACC title. I believe they'll finish the season in the top 10-15 nationally.
    Cherish your children for who they are, not who you'd like them to be.

Yeah, APK. Not sure about top 10-15, but the Terps should be dancing this season and shouldn't have to hold their breath on Selection Sunday. Turgeon has brought in a great class this season and having Wells eligible is huge. We might have a few 1 or 2 and dones, but we also should be talked about as National Championship contenders as early as next season. I'm pumped.
    As cliche as it may sound, I'd like to raise another round, and if your bottle's empty help yourself to mine, thank you for your time and here's to life.

i'm (obviously) pretty happy about Duke's start to the season. Beating both Kentucky and Louisville is huge, and we have another huge test on Wednesday against Ohio State.

Still, even if we lose against the buckeyes, if you had told me preseason we'd finish that season start with just one loss, i'd have been very happy with that. Now that's the worst we can do, and we have the opportunity to do even better.

we've proven we can play with and win against the best teams in the nation (again). that's all you can ask for in a pre-conference slate.
    I don't have a signature. You're imagining reading this right now. You should really see a mental health professional about this.

Yup, you gotta be impressed with Duke right now. Even more so if they beat OSU. No shame if they lose though, they still deserve to be in the top 3.
    "Governing doesn’t disappear when government shrinks; instead corporations come to govern your life — like HMO’s, oil companies, drug companies, agribusiness, and so on, with accountability only to maximizing profit, not to public needs." - George Lakoff

Dukes win over LV was good. The KY win, not so impressed. No particular reflection on Duke, but rather KY. I think KY is the most overrated team in the country right now, led by the most overrated player, Noel.

Undefeated is undefeated though!

Half of FSU's players getting PT are freshmen or that first year JUCO All-American. We got 3 guys at 7' +, two are from overseas. We'll be fun to watch.

Miami just beat Michigan St.

I'm starting to think MSU simply isn't that good.

They've never had great talent. But usually they're just able to out-tough, out-hustle and out-rebound everyone.

We'll see if Izzo can turn this around.
    Mac9, to the true warrior. the ultimate competitor and the most worth adversary any athlete has ever faced off against. He was an inspiration for both his on the field play, off the field contributions and his leadership. The world is now a worse place without him.

"Have the courage to have your wisdom regarded as stupidity" - Justice Antonin Scalia

"Just because you're the lone voice in the wilderness, it doesn't mean you're wrong."
    - Ghandi

here's a pretty interesting stat...

over the past two seasons, the teams that Duke has beaten over the last half-month have a combined 5 final four appearances.
    I don't have a signature. You're imagining reading this right now. You should really see a mental health professional about this.

Who was that giant white dude, and what did he do with the real Mason Plumlee?
    Mac9, to the true warrior. the ultimate competitor and the most worth adversary any athlete has ever faced off against. He was an inspiration for both his on the field play, off the field contributions and his leadership. The world is now a worse place without him.

"Have the courage to have your wisdom regarded as stupidity" - Justice Antonin Scalia

"Just because you're the lone voice in the wilderness, it doesn't mean you're wrong."
    - Ghandi

Quote Originally Posted by SkinsDevil View Post
    here's a pretty interesting stat...

over the past two seasons, the teams that Duke has beaten over the last half-month have a combined 5 final four appearances.
    Another interesting stat is they were shot down in the first round of the Dance last year.
    Gang Way!

Another interesting stat is that only 7 schools have won national championships in both football and basketball. None of them was Duke.

Yeah, we've gotta get a little Duke Hating goin' on here - it just wouldn't be right not to.

And something tells me USC isn't on that list, either.
    Gang Way!

Quote Originally Posted by AlexPKeaton View Post
    Another interesting stat is that only 7 schools have won national championships in both football and basketball. None of them was Duke.
    Only 1 of those held them both at the same time.
    The stand your ground law is like bleach. It works miracles for whites but it'll ruin your colors.

And only one is from the ACC- at least for a little while longer.
    Fear the Turtle!

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast