Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: RE: Nick Foles

RE: Nick Foles

So, feeling a little off about the foles pick i went back and looked at all the footage i could find.

3 things

1. He could have had the worst supporting cast of any qb drafted.
    He threw some great balls, he hit guys in small windows on out patterns (the second toughest throw in football in my opinion) he threw some great spot passes and he moved very well, they ran alot of PA boot plays and he hardly ever got tracked by the end. He threw on the run and most impressive he threw the deep middle ball in traffic (the toughest throw imo).

2. That offensive line was worse than some juco or prep school lines. How in the hell foles did that well in that mess is amazing
    I watch the usc game tape and that dline didnt even have to use moves, they were in files face on three step drops using nuthing but a bullrush. It was awful to watch.

3. The possition coaches at arizona must be the worst in the pac ten
    Foles was left out to dry buy guys short arming balls, not fighting through defenders, giving up in routes less than 4 steps into one, and drops out the wazzoo. Even the running back gave up on routes IN THE FLAT. I mean its the easiest catch in football and his backs woyldnt reach up and grab them.

All in all, he looks like a little quicker drew bledsoe to me. He wont be a starter anytime in the next 5 years bcuz he is gonna need to change his throwing motion, and learn to recognize a blitz. But he could be a 10-15 middle of the pack decent starter. Hes a helluva lot better prospect than kafka. Im gonna make a prediction.

Foles will be our 3rd qb, kafka will be gone next year. And if edwards beats out kafka, he might be gone this year. Still dont like the pick, but i like the player.
    "Girl was bout as nutty as squirel $h!t"- Uncle ruckas.

I think he will #3 this year, and they will draft a stud QB next year, so both Kafka and Edwards will be gone.

For the reasons you mentioned and from what I have seen of him I think the guy is a decent prospect. He is not in the RGII, Luck or Tannehill category but what do you expect in the third round. Lets face it if Reid turns this guy into a quality backup who can come in and win a few games a year when Vick gets hurt then its a win for this pick. If he is anymore more than a quality backup its a home run.

i admit, this is kinda silly generalization, but when you look at the SB QB's the last lotta years it doesn't make sense to even bother with a QB that wasn't drafted in the 1st round.

Non-1st round QBs in SBs are few and far between, though they do exist.
    "Stop doing the wrong things. Stop promoting competition and choice as answers to the very inequality that was created by competition and choice."
    ~ Diane Ravitch, Reign of Error

i admit, this is kinda silly generalization, but when you look at the SB QB's the last lotta years it doesn't make sense to even bother with a QB that wasn't drafted in the 1st round as a future starter/prospect.

Non-1st round QBs in SBs are few and far between, though they do exist.
    "Stop doing the wrong things. Stop promoting competition and choice as answers to the very inequality that was created by competition and choice."

Tom Brady, Kurt Warner, Drew Brees, Brad Johnson, Rich Gannon, Jake Delhomme, Matt Hassleback, all were not first round picks.

Quote Originally Posted by M2M View Post
    Tom Brady, Kurt Warner, Drew Brees, Brad Johnson, Rich Gannon, Jake Delhomme, Matt Hassleback, all were not first round picks.
    i didn't say they didn't exist.

Higher drafted QB's are more successful because they are given every chance to succeed over anyone else. It's the GM, Coach and scouting department enforcing this for obvious reasons. That there is a good bit of later than 1st round SB QB's shows it really doesn't matter what round you were drafted as much as that you get a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by old duke View Post
    I think he will #3 this year, and they will draft a stud QB next year, so both Kafka and Edwards will be gone.
    And how exactly would the Eagles put themselves in a position to draft a stud QB?
    Pull a Redskins move a trade your future?

Quote Originally Posted by WIZ View Post
    Higher drafted QB's are more successful because they are given every chance to succeed over anyone else. It's the GM, Coach and scouting department enforcing this for obvious reasons. That there is a good bit of later than 1st round SB QB's shows it really doesn't matter what round you were drafted as much as that you get a chance.
    Well put. Teams will generally invest more in players that cost higher value assets, whether it be FA deals or high draft picks. Nobody wants to bite the bullet until its absolutely necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by ForWhoForWhat? View Post
    i didn't say they didn't exist.
    You said they were few and far in between over the "last lotta years". That is factually inaccurate.
    All those QB's have been to the Super Bowl in the past eleven
    years. Some have been there multiple times. In fact over the past eleven super bowls, there have been 12 starting quartbacks not drafted in the first round vs. ten who have been drafted in the first round.

In this day and age of football you need a big time QB, the guys with the most talent go in the 1st round obviously. Of course you have those hidden gems like Brees and Brady, but they are the exception, not the rule.

I am coming around to the Nick Foles pick, I don't think the kid will ever be a star but it's always nice to have a solid backup QB who can start and win you some games, maybe shine in some of those games and get shipped for more picks like Kevin Kolb.

Quote Originally Posted by WIZ View Post
    Colt McCoy says hi.

And I gotta challenge the "good bit of later round SB QBs" If you look at it, especially in the last 5 years or so when the NFL has obviously turned pass happy, nearly all of them were high picks.

Sure you CAN find a franchise QB after the high picks but if the odds of finding that guy in the first are long finding that guy in the 3rd are pretty much off the charts.. And I highly doubt it is this kid. But Andy has proven that he can get production out of middle of the road QBs so he'll probably get production out of Foley. But winning the Super Bowl with Nick Foley just isn't very realistic IMO.
    Last edited by Darrell Green Fan; 05-02-2012 at 11:54 AM.

Yes, unless the Eagles trade for a Colt McCoy, or another vet, I think they will pull a "Redskins" deal to move uop to get their future starter in next year's draft. Hey, who knows, but that's what I think is on the horizon next year.

Couch, McNabb, Culpepper, Akili and Cade Unknown wish to show you their rings.
    I promise I won't do it again

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast