Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I'm not saying that it "will be" what I suggested earlier but to say it is just short of impossible is just as much of a stretch as me coming in and stating that my scenario is certain. Jackson really doesn't have that presense in the pocket. From what we were hearing he had some believers in our locker room so he may be a decent teammate, it doesn't scream leader the way Wilson's performance upon his transfer to Wisconsin does.

I gained plenty of respect for Jackson over the course of last season, but I still believe he's a terrible quarterback.
    "Personal foul, 69, offense. He was giving him the business."

Far be it from me, a Jackson detractor, to promote Jackson. He is nevertheless an experienced NFL QB with a strong arm and experience starting under C. As result he has some value in a league where possible starting QBs are rare commodities. We can disagree as to whether he has any trade value but I think he does,even just as a backup.

If he loses out in a camp competition to Flynn, as we expect (and most hope) may occur, his value to the team is as a backup. Then there would need to be some careful assessment in terms of his value over the winner of Wilson and Portis and whether the opportunity cost $4+ mil/season is worth absorbing for his experience. As the team is in a good cap position there would be no need to offload his deal which isn't unfriendly for a QB, even a backup. The situation would then involve what other personnel problems are needing resolution. If those aren't significant he sticks around, but would be shopped. If he causes a distraction he's cut, but if he contributes going forward he's kept. I don't think a having him on the roster as a backup is a necessarily a bad thing, but time will tell.

At the least having the additions of Flynn and Wilson to the equation at QB makes the situation very competitive and interesting.
    Last edited by jammer; 05-01-2012 at 08:11 PM.
    Seattle Seahawks, winners of SuperBowl XLVIII, what an amazing season!

What this tells me is that pre-season is actually going to be fun to watch.

I think it boils down to whether or not Pete thinks we are poised to make a playoff run. If we are, having a seasoned backup like TJ makes some sense. If not, he's a waste of a roster spot.
    "I believe it is the duty of each of us to act as if the fate of the world depended on him. Admittedly, one man by himself cannot do the job. However, one man can make a difference."

1. Flynn
    2. Jackson
    3. Wilson

Portis to the PS if nobody else picks him up.

HFFL that scenario makes the most sense but as McGruff has said above if Flynn beats out Jackson then in terms of the 'compete for your spot' thinking it makes less sense to keep Jackson if Wilson or Portis are close enough to being ready to contribute. Jackson faced with that situation then becomes expendable.
    Seattle Seahawks, winners of SuperBowl XLVIII, what an amazing season!

Quote Originally Posted by jammer View Post
    HFFL that scenario makes the most sense but as McGruff has said above if Flynn beats out Jackson then in terms of the 'compete for your spot' thinking it makes less sense to keep Jackson if Wilson or Portis are close enough to being ready to contribute. Jackson faced with that situation then becomes expendable.
    I think the big assumption is that either Wilson or Portis would be ready to take Jackson's spot.
    The trouble with the world today is the intelligent people are full of doubt and the dumb people are full of confidence - Charles Bukowski

I'm going with:

Flynn as starter.
    T-Jack as backup
    Wilson as 3rd string/scout team

Portis will, baring an absolute shocking improvement, go to the practice squad. He did look good, but against 3rd string/soon to be cut players. Not much of a barometer.

Now, with that said, I think the person on the biggest bubble is easily Tarvaris Jackson. He's been in the offense with Bevell far too long to be borderline or worse with either Flynn or Wilson. If he shows little improvement from his lack of recognition and continues with his inconsistent accuracy issues, I could see Schneider and Carroll just moving forward with Flynn, Wilson, and Portis unless he takes a paycut off of the borderline starter $4 million he would make. Schneider and Carroll have been unconventional, so I don't see them being any different at this position even if it means going with a lot of inexperience. I'm still rooting for T-Jack though. If he could clean up his mental game, he could be scary good. Unfortunately, Viking and now Seahawk fans have been saying that every year. Gonna be an awesome camp battle to watch.
    Last edited by Freezer Weasel; 05-01-2012 at 11:04 PM. Reason: Because I can't read my own writing obviously....
    Common sense is not so common. ~ Voltaire

JMR is offline defender of the high life
    Quote Originally Posted by McGruffHawk View Post
    What if Wilson outplays Jackson? Why would they keep Jackson at #2 over Wilson?
    I just don't think the backup job necessarily goes to the 2nd best or 2nd most talented QB. The backup usually comes in the game due to a reaction to an injury, no time to warm up, and not a lot of work during the practice week with the first team. That's a scenario where experience is going to factor more than usual. I think Jackson would have a better chance to keep the team in the game in that situation. Now if Flynn goes down for the season or an extended period of time, I think you go Wilson over a long stretch of games.
    U MAD BRO??

Quote Originally Posted by McGruffHawk View Post
    I don't think this staff is too concerned about things like "continuity" and "scheme knowledge" . . . especially not with a full offseason to teach the scheme and learn the playbook. I also think we should know by now that they aren't afraid of young talent.

Starter - Competition? Even if it is truly an open competition, the amount of money given to Flynn is an indication of who the staff expects to win. Flynn is in

Back-up IF he's even close to Jackson in terms of the ability to run the offense, and IF he's demonstrates the innate ability to learn and adapt quickly, and IF he shows the leadership ability to win the locker room, this is Wilson's job. All signs from NC and Wisconsin show that Wilson has all those traits. Wilson will be the backup.

3rd string - If Jackson falls to #3, there's no way he stays on the roster at his salary. He's cut and we keep Portis as the emergency.
    Completely agree on all accounts.

Starter Flynn

Back Up Jackson

3rd Stringer Wilson

Bye bye Portis
    You can't be the best unless you can beat the best

Quote Originally Posted by JMR View Post
    I just don't think the backup job necessarily goes to the 2nd best or 2nd most talented QB. The backup usually comes in the game due to a reaction to an injury, no time to warm up, and not a lot of work during the practice week with the first team. That's a scenario where experience is going to factor more than usual. I think Jackson would have a better chance to keep the team in the game in that situation. Now if Flynn goes down for the season or an extended period of time, I think you go Wilson over a long stretch of games.
    The backup QB is supposed to be the guy who can come in and win games if your starter goes down. If Flynn wins the starting job and gets hurt for 4-5 games I'm not confident that we could get 2 wins from Jackson at all. I got an entirely different feeling watching Wilson's highlights. He's just more decisive than Jackson and if he is better than Jackson in TC just think how much better he'll be by the end of the season after practicing with the 2's than running the scout team.

This is all theory but I'm just not confident or comfortable with Jackson at all. He could surprise me and go nuts in TC and preseason and this will all be water under the bridge but until he demonstrates it I'm not going to count on him.

That's another part of the equation as well. Pete, John and Darrell are not only going to want to evaluate Wilson, they are going to want to develop him. That doesn't happen as a #3 running the scout team and getting 5-10% of the practice reps at best.

Quote Originally Posted by HawksFanNorth View Post
    If Flynn wins the starting job and gets hurt for 4-5 games I'm not confident that we could get 2 wins from Jackson at all. I got an entirely different feeling watching Wilson's highlights.
    I do not understand, a injured TJac playing with a torn Pec, an inexperienced line and new WRs won 7 out of 15 games last year and you are not comfortable with him to win 2 out of 5 games now that he is healthy and playing with more experienced team. I just don't get this reasoning.
    You can't be the best unless you can beat the best

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast