Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearmagic View Post
    No guarantees that San Diego could have taken Dre Kirkpatric...nor trade out of the pick and some other team could have grabbed him.
    SD was honing in on a pass rusher, just like we were.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolhandluke View Post
    SD was honing in on a pass rusher, just like we were.
    I understand...was just responding about the potential for trading up. It just wasn't going to happen without mortgaging a significant part of our future.

They will LIGHTS OUT better than Conway and Graham ...mark my words !
    No doubt about it. Marshall is better than Conway ever was. Jeffery will probably be better than both Conway and Graham as well. And they both have a much better QB throwing the ball to them and he loves throwing to tall jumper receivers.

They will LIGHTS OUT better than Conway and Graham ...mark my words !
    Quote Originally Posted by aparoche View Post
    No doubt about it. Marshall is better than Conway ever was. Jeffery will probably be better than both Conway and Graham as well. And they both have a much better QB throwing the ball to them and he loves throwing to tall jumper receivers.
    Conway and Graham were a pretty good tandem there, especially that '95 (I think it was '95) season. I always thought Curtis was a bit of an underachiever tho, while Graham often made the most of his skills.

BM, I'm riding your coattails on this and trusting your opinion. You were far and away the one fan on this board who jumped on the Jeffery bandwagon early and often. You are more aware of his play and how it will fit in the Bears scheme than any of us. I can't wait to see how this plays out. The thought of the Bears possibly and finally having an actual dynamic set of receivers (let's not forget the sure handed Bennett as well) gives me goosebumps.

There is also the option that in Emerys' mind there wasn't a big enough talent gap between Ingram and McClellin and felt it wasn't worth giving up picks to move up and grab Ingram.

Brockers is the one who I think they really wanted more than any of the guys outside of Cox that went around that area and I must admit that I was shocked when the Rams took him.
    Next thing you know they will take my thoughts away

Quote Originally Posted by Lake Shore Drive View Post

BM, I'm riding your coattails on this and trusting your opinion. You were far and away the one fan on this board who jumped on the Jeffery bandwagon early and often. You are more aware of his play and how it will fit in the Bears scheme than any of us.
    While I"m humbled by your vote of confidence, its still early to see how things will pan out on Jeffery. I am excited about the potential on what he can bring to the table. The good Lord has given pretty good discernment on players (even in my fantasy football selections).

Was forced into dissecting and evaluating things when I did my thesis evaluating the Arizona Diamondbacks Fan Loyalty Program back in 1999 (i.e. Diamondback Fan Loyalty Program - I believe the program still exists). Anyway, through that experience, I was sensitive to the subtle things and how this would translate to the designed fan behaviors the team wanted (e.g spend more money at the games through concession, parking, ticket, & merchandise).

P.S. In researching, it looks like as of 2010 the program still exists (see article below)

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/3...yalty-programs
    Last edited by Bearmagic; 05-01-2012 at 01:10 AM.

There were about 5 end/rush backers in this draft that I think would all carry a similar grade for different reasons. I liked Ingram, but his build is extremely odd for an NFL end. His arms are very short, and yet he is more of a power guy than speed. It’s a clear red flag, even though I love everything else about the guy. McClellin a better fame and slightly better speed. Both are very good, versatile football players. Given the chance to pick either of them, I would probably have drafted Ingram. I knew more about him going in though, and have not studied film on either guy extensively. In the end, when you look at the first round ends it’s probably 6 or one and half dozen of the other. One thing that I like though is that McClellin’s biggest flaw seems to be strength. That is probably the easiest athletic trait to improve. Ingram isn’t going to grow another two inches or pick up another inch and a half of reach, and most guys don’t get a lot faster after they enter the league. Guys do get bigger and stronger though when they have access to pro strength and conditioning coaching, and are basically getting paid to work out.

I don’t really know who Emery had in what slots on his board. I don’t think that there is any reason that McClellin can’t be a better pro than Ingram though. Not to say that he will, but from where I sit any of the pass rushers taken in the first round could end up being the best in the class. I guess that what I am saying, is lets watch and see what happens before we start stacking Emery’s board for him. The pick wasn’t a reach, and the player has a lot of potential. It’s Emery’s job to know what guys separate themselves enough to warrant a trade up, and which guys are fairly close. We need to see his picks in action before we can really start to grade his ability to do this.

One thing I like about Emery though is listening to him break down the prospects. You can tell that he has studied them, and he just sounds like a dyed-in-the-wool football guy. I never really though that Angelo was horrible, more of an average GM that was allowed to stick around too long. He always sounded like a snake oil sales me though when he did any kind of press conference. I like listening to Emery much more.

Quote Originally Posted by anhur View Post
    There were about 5 end/rush backers in this draft that I think would all carry a similar grade for different reasons. I liked Ingram, but his build is extremely odd for an NFL end. His arms are very short, and yet he is more of a power guy than speed. It’s a clear red flag, even though I love everything else about the guy. McClellin a better fame and slightly better speed. Both are very good, versatile football players. Given the chance to pick either of them, I would probably have drafted Ingram. I knew more about him going in though, and have not studied film on either guy extensively. In the end, when you look at the first round ends it’s probably 6 or one and half dozen of the other. One thing that I like though is that McClellin’s biggest flaw seems to be strength. That is probably the easiest athletic trait to improve. Ingram isn’t going to grow another two inches or pick up another inch and a half of reach, and most guys don’t get a lot faster after they enter the league. Guys do get bigger and stronger though when they have access to pro strength and conditioning coaching, and are basically getting paid to work out.

I don’t really know who Emery had in what slots on his board. I don’t think that there is any reason that McClellin can’t be a better pro than Ingram though. Not to say that he will, but from where I sit any of the pass rushers taken in the first round could end up being the best in the class. I guess that what I am saying, is lets watch and see what happens before we start stacking Emery’s board for him. The pick wasn’t a reach, and the player has a lot of potential. It’s Emery’s job to know what guys separate themselves enough to warrant a trade up, and which guys are fairly close. We need to see his picks in action before we can really start to grade his ability to do this.

One thing I like about Emery though is listening to him break down the prospects. You can tell that he has studied them, and he just sounds like a dyed-in-the-wool football guy. I never really though that Angelo was horrible, more of an average GM that was allowed to stick around too long. He always sounded like a snake oil sales me though when he did any kind of press conference. I like listening to Emery much more.
    Yeah, I got that vibe from Emery as well. He gives much more detail in his analysis of the player and it clearly shows that he's been doing his homework. You can tell he's a scout through and through and when he's breaking down a prospect it shows. This level of detail is what most likely impressed Ted Phillips and the McCaskey's to hire him. JA in his press conferences seemed kind of sleazy. He'd throw out cliche's left and right and he just didn't have the charisma to really captivate the audience. Emery comes off as a really good guy and a good person and he's giving honest responses to the questions with a lot of detail and analysis to back his claims. Hopefully he's right on most of his picks because we're going to need it!
    "Nationalism is power hunger tempered by self-deception." - George Orwell

I don't really see the fit with Ingram at DE for us. If people are worrying about McClellin playing DE, they should Ingram a lot more.
    BEAR DOWN..................... AND WHILE YOU'RE DOWN THERE.....

Quote Originally Posted by mouse View Post
    I don't really see the fit with Ingram at DE for us. If people are worrying about McClellin playing DE, they should Ingram a lot more.
    Exactly how I feel. I don't think we missed out on anything at all. Whereas in 2008, most of us really felt like we missed out on Ryan Clady and sure enough....we did.
    "Nationalism is power hunger tempered by self-deception." - George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by mouse View Post
    McCllellin is definitely faster (believe it or not) than Ingram. SM had a 4.63 40 compared to 4.79 for Ingram. Shea also has longer arms than Ingram by having 32 3/4" arms versus 31 1/2" for Ingram. Add the 2 inches in extra height also. They both have similar stats in terms of sacks as well.

However, Ingram faced better competition and is a lot stronger with 28 reps of the benching press compared to 19 for Shea. Also, I noticed Ingram has a quicker burst and get off (believe it or not) than Shea even though Shea has a better 40 time. The 3 cone drill and the 20 yard shuttle show this. Another positive with Ingram is he seems to very comfortable with people with Coples saying....he is the biggest clown at the Senior Bowl.

And did notice his crazy handshake with the Commissioner (Roger Goodell) before going up to the podium. Bottom line he is very comfortable with people and I can tell he would be a good teammate. Not saying Shea is not....but I don't have much background in terms of Shea as a teammate. Regardless, this was worth mentioning as it is important for our first round defensive player to adapt to our seasoned vets including Urlacher, Briggs, Peppers and Tillman.

So when I evaluate everything....I still would hold tight and take McClellin @ #19 without mortgaging our future. To me...there is NOT ENOUGH SIGNIFICANT DIFFERENCE to warrant a trade up. I like Ingram...and it pains me to say this....but not enough to mortgage our future.

http://nflcombineresults.com/playerp...=Ingram&i=8703
    http://nflcombineresults.com/playerp...Clellin&i=9976
    Last edited by Bearmagic; 05-01-2012 at 06:07 AM.

If I had my druthers, we should have taken Decastro, Jeffrey, and traded up for Vinny Curry. No OL AGAIN scares me, esp. w/ reports surfacing that Gabe isn't yet ready.
    Darkness can only be lit, not fought.

If there is one thing we learned about Emery, it is that he's fearless. He's not afraid to make a move up for a guy he really likes (Jefferey) and he's not afraid of taking a guy he really likes a round early if it ensures he gets him (Hardin, ERod).

And, there was every reason to believe SD was taking Ingram if he made it that far Thursday night.

Given this, I'm CERTAIN that Emery's board had McClellin with the same rbetter grade than Ingram. We can disagree about who should have been rated higher. But no one has hired any of us to GM a NFL team, so that doesn't matter.

It seems that outside of Coples most of the early DE's were guys you weren't sure if they would be better 4-3 DE or 3-4 OLB. They were on the shorter/lighter side.

I liked Coples a lot but I expect he would have been closer to Izzy and Wooten than Peppers. I think McClellan will give us more rush on passing downs.

I have a gut feeling that they would have taken Irvin if he was available at 19 and he was at the top of their draft board.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast