Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Got a question for everyone.....

I like Cousins. But realistically, we don't need him and us trying to do the Eagles/Packers thing of grooming him so he can bring a high pick later is a luxury that we can't afford. So with that in mind,

If a team came a calling right now for Cousins, would you move him for the right trade? Packers, Texans, Bears and a couple of other teams had these kid in their sites before we scooped him up (hehehe) and he's a great future prospect for them.

With us still having a need at linebacker and cornerback, this was just a thought but I'd like the general perspective on this.
    Daniel Snyder is a curse.

Nobody will try to trade for him now. Maybe next year ot the year after that but first he will have to show he belongs to the NFL.
    "If it ain't broke don't fix it" @ Daniel Snyder

Yeah, the right trade would have to be a 2nd or 3rd and no one is doing that right now.

I disagree that having a good cheap backup is a luxury we can't afford. What we can't afford is Rex Grossman being color blind out there, and Beck has been cut. I think the Cousins move serves two purposes - One he's going to be a solid inexpensive backup for up to 4 or 5 years, and every team needs a quality backup QB. Two if he gets some playing time, we will need him to perform, but if he does then we have a first round draft pick asset that we can move to get back into the draft in the next two years.

Matt Shaub only started two games and he fetched two 2nd rounders and a swap up of 1st round picks. The Seahags traded for Hass and he never started a game. If RGIII gets hurt at all in the next 3 years, and safe money says that's a good possibility, then you will love having Cousins on this team (hopefully).

Shanny is two years late in addressing the QB situation in the draft. He has lost time to make up for, so I have no problem taking a chance on another young guy. Plus, I hope to god Grossman is only here for one more season. This gives Cousins a year to learn the system and become the backup next year or even this year if we're lucky. I don't buy the notion that Cousins isn't needed, IMO. Depth at the most important position isn't something you so easily throw away, especially with our history of QB's over the past 20 years..
    I Still Blame JC for Gibbs Leaving..

Well, our history at this position has always turned into a QB controversy from this exact same scenerio also. From the Jurgenson to Kilmer saga, to the Ferrotte and Schuler saga.
    I get the depth idea at the QB position. And I don't want beard neck Grossman around here either. He's an embarrasment to say the least.

I know it probably wouldnt' happen but I just wanted anther perspective.

I'm excited about the prospect of having two young talented QBs to push eachother. Like everyone else, I'm tired of the carousel. As far as QB goes, I don't think we could be in a better position, considering where we are and where we want to be in the near and long term. Both of these guys are smart leaders, so there may not be a need for a vet like Rex after this year. I don't think the purpose of drafting cousins was to recoup lost picks over the next 1-2 years, but it would be a nice option to have.

Quote Originally Posted by riggoranger View Post
    I'm excited about the prospect of having two young talented QBs to push eachother. Like everyone else, I'm tired of the carousel. As far as QB goes, I don't think we could be in a better position, considering where we are and where we want to be in the near and long term. Both of these guys are smart leaders, so there may not be a need for a vet like Rex after this year. I don't think the purpose of drafting cousins was to recoup lost picks over the next 1-2 years, but it would be a nice option to have.
    My feelings too on the last part. AND, if RG3 is uncomfy with a little competition, than I need to question his confidence with being the man here in the first place..

Seems to me the notion of getting Rex out of here is fueling so much support for this Cousins.

I am not confident that RGIII is a sure thing. I like having a backup with great potential too because Rex sucks. I don't know why we did not draft another QB and drop Rex too.
    I am clay.

Quote Originally Posted by Redskin Nation View Post
    My feelings too on the last part. AND, if RG3 is uncomfy with a little competition, than I need to question his confidence with being the man here in the first place..
    Don't. He indicated he is fine with the "competition", especially since it will be for who gets to hold the clipboard behind him.

Quote Originally Posted by duck View Post
    Don't. He indicated he is fine with the "competition", especially since it will be for who gets to hold the clipboard behind him.

Yeah, yeah, yeah.

Heath and Gus say Hello!

Not a big fan of the draft overall. I'm not an expert so I could be completely wrong. Hopefully we have our franchise QB but I don't see any of these lineman being difference makers. Hopefully Shanny can find a quality starter out of those guys. He knows a heck of a lot more than I do.

With a third and two fourth rounders you need guys who will become quality starters and I just don't see it with those 3 picks.

Quote Originally Posted by Redskin Nation View Post
    Yeah, yeah, yeah.

Heath and Gus say Hello!
    I am on record (heh) as stating drafting two QBs in the same draft is just bad joo-joo. But this is a bit different; there were many questions about Shuler going into that draft, mostly that he *just* wasn't smart enough for the NFL and that his skillset was more suited for the college game. Years later, I think those have proven to be true. RGIII doesn't come with those flags, and he has said repeatedly he lives for competition.

My little voice also says that the best year Brad Johnson had here was when his best friend (Casey Weldon?) was a backup here too. They knew each other from their college days, if I recall correctly. Maybe RGIII and this kid hit it off, can deal with the NFL together, grow together, push each other, etc.

Or is that too much to hope?

Imo, there's almost zero chance this turns out anything like Shuler/Gus, because Shanny has made it abundantly crystal clear that RG3 is the man and because of the football maturity of the 2 players involved. These 2 guys are off the charts for rookies in their intangibles. In Shuler and Gus, they had 2 quys who really had troubles just commanding a huddle - if you believe Brian Mitchell.

So, with that not being a concern - look at the backup QB position. We have Grossman - period - and he's on a 1 year contract - probably paying him good money. They're going to be able to sign Cousins for chump change for 4 years. In year 2, he does FILL A NEED, as he'll be the backup QB, so this pick isn't a lux pick - it fills a need - just a year in advance. And it saves money, because you generally have to pay for a 2nd string QB.

Also, these guys are going to help each other. They're both extraordinarily studious and smart, and they're going to bounce ideas and questions around with each other - and Grossman - and the Shannys. It's gonna be a mutually benefial situation.

And a running QB is going to be more vulnerable to injuries, so you need depth there. I know they can talk about him being a pocket passer, but RG3 is going to run a fair amount - maybe not as much as Vick, but he's going to be vulnerable.

And my 6th of 5 points, young backup QB's who do well in a couple of games are deemed to be worth their weight in gold. If Cousins does well subbing for RG3, all of a sudden, the market will say he's worth a first round pick - and they can trade him at some point and pick the next Cousins - KC2.

It's almost scary that we might be drafting with a long(er)-term perspective nowadays.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast