Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Fed student loans... about to double

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/04/25...student-loans/
    WASHINGTON In an escalating election-year clash, the House will vote Friday on a $5.9 billion Republican bill preventing interest rates on federal student loans from doubling this summer, paid for by cutting money from President Barack Obama's health care overhaul law.

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Educati...py-type-events

Student loan activists in New York and some 20 other cities are gathering Wednesday, when student debt is expected to cross the trillion-dollar threshold. Among their student loan proposals: The federal government should cover all higher-education costs.

==============================

In TODAY'S economy (not 20 years ago, 20 years from now)... isn't the low interest rate provided students akin to the 'easy money' afforded to home buyers which turned into poop for the country?

Education is of course very important - and can be garnished in many ways... but do you think the government should keep these student loan interest rates so low? What's the true payback with such unemployment among grads?
    I promise I won't do it again

Quote Originally Posted by Raid View Post
    Education is of course very important - and can be garnished in many ways...
    This is how I garnish it:

My name is Mongo. I like to dance.....

Takes way too much time to garnish it like that. Go to a restaurant and pay someone to do it for you ya cheap bahstad.
    I promise I won't do it again

Cutting health care to pay for education...........brilliant.

Its just another way to raise taxes on most people while not raising taxes on their rich backers by the right.

But I am all for this happening because it will make it that much easier to energize the youth vote this coming election and swing it even stronger to the Dems.

"If the Republican win the election, they will charge you $50 more per month (on average) over the course of the next 10 years." And it won't be an exaggeration.

Its actually hilarious how much the House Republican's are absolutely screwing the party. In the end we all know this bill gets passed and then gets laughed out of the Senate where it won't make it to the floor. Then at the last minute the House will finally listen to common sense and just keep interest on student debt where its at. But for now until mid-summer there will be absolutely no shortage of college students and their parents being told how Republican's are putting them at serious risk of having college costs thousands and thousands of dollars more than they thought. It really is good stuff.
    Last edited by ducky; 04-26-2012 at 02:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raid View Post

In TODAY'S economy (not 20 years ago, 20 years from now)... isn't the low interest rate provided students akin to the 'easy money' afforded to home buyers which turned into poop for the country?
    In some ways, that's very true.

I've read comparisons of the 'education bubble' to the housing bubble.

More and more people think education is an economic guarantee, so more and more people get degrees - which means that more people with degrees will get shut out of good jobs and be in even worse shape and more competition for degreed work keeps salaries from rising.
    The word "hero" is frequently abused badly. This is a real hero.

Quote Originally Posted by ducky View Post
    But I am all for this happening because it will make it that much easier to energize the youth vote this coming election and swing it even stronger to the Dems.
    I'm assuming you're not talking presidential, as Romney opposes the increase.

Aren't easy loans the reason costs have gotten out of hand. Cut the loans, raise the interest rates and schools will either lower tuition or close.
    I am clay.

Quote Originally Posted by seahawksfan837 View Post
    Virtually every Republican oppposes the increase. That's what makes this such a laughably terrible ploy.

I bet you the Senate Republican's are fuming right now if the House crazies think that they are going to stop a straight up and down vote from reaching the floor of the Senate on extending the interest rates with no strings attached.

Virtually every Republican oppposes the increase. That's what makes this such a laughably terrible ploy.

I bet you the Senate Republican's are fuming right now if the House crazies think that they are going to stop a straight up and down vote from reaching the floor of the Senate on extending the interest rates with no strings attached.
    I must be reading this wrong.

You're telling me that the republicans wanting to NOT double student loan debt is going to swing more youths to the dems?
    Mac9, to the true warrior. the ultimate competitor and the most worth adversary any athlete has ever faced off against. He was an inspiration for both his on the field play, off the field contributions and his leadership. The world is now a worse place without him.

"Have the courage to have your wisdom regarded as stupidity" - Justice Antonin Scalia

"Just because you're the lone voice in the wilderness, it doesn't mean you're wrong."
    - Ghandi

Right. I guess then I fail to see how this is going to be a big political point for the Dems.

Quote Originally Posted by The Q View Post
    You're telling me that the republicans wanting to NOT double student loan debt is going to swing more youths to the dems?
    Because when the deadline starts approaching its not Dem's that are going to take the blame for tying the interest rate to a completely seperate political issue.

They just created this same scenerio with the debt limit where they threaten virtually the entire country with terrible consequences by tying a common sense issue with a heated political issue. And who won that politically??? The Dem's trounced them then when you figure in the momentum the Republican party had at that point and how it has been static and floundered since then. The same thing is going to happen here.

Because when the deadline starts approaching its not Dem's that are going to take the blame for tying the interest rate to a completely seperate political issue.

They just created this same scenerio with the debt limit where they threaten virtually the entire country with terrible consequences by tying a common sense issue with a heated political issue. And who won that politically??? The Dem's trounced them then when you figure in the momentum the Republican party had at that point and how it has been static and floundered since then. The same thing is going to happen here.
    You're really just trying to make me lose all faith in people that people would slide to the dems over both of your examples, aren't you?
    Mac9, to the true warrior. the ultimate competitor and the most worth adversary any athlete has ever faced off against. He was an inspiration for both his on the field play, off the field contributions and his leadership. The world is now a worse place without him.

"Have the courage to have your wisdom regarded as stupidity" - Justice Antonin Scalia

"Just because you're the lone voice in the wilderness, it doesn't mean you're wrong."
    - Ghandi

Quote Originally Posted by The Q View Post
    You're really just trying to make me lose all faith in people that people would slide to the dems over both of your examples, aren't you?
    I don't think it really matters anyways. Young people will always vote overly Democrat, even if most of them have little clue as to why.

Quote Originally Posted by seahawksfan837 View Post
    That was a month ago, he favors it now.

Sorry, he favored letting it increase a month ago, now he agrees with Obama.
    I've got binders full of women
    and a one point plan.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast