Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 schedule

2012 schedule

No posts on the Viking's 2012 schedule yet?

http://www.vikings.com/schedule/season-schedule.html

Notes:
    Week 11 bye week.
    first 7 games alternate home/away.
    Before the bye week only 2 division games (both against Detroit)
    After bye week, 4 away games and 2 home games
    4 of the last 6 games are against the Bears and Packers.
    No Monday Night Football or Sunday Night Football, but 1 Thursday Night games (home vs Tampa)

Week Day Date Opponent Time (CT)
    1 Sunday Sept. 9 Jacksonville Jaguars Noon CBS
    2 Sunday Sept. 16 at Indianapolis Colts Noon FOX
    3 Sunday Sept. 23 San Francisco 49ers Noon FOX
    4 Sunday Sept. 30 at Detroit Lions Noon FOX
    5 Sunday Oct. 7 Tennessee Titans Noon CBS
    6 Sunday Oct. 14 at Washington Redskins 3:15 p.m.
    7 Sunday Oct. 21 Arizona Cardinals Noon FOX
    8 Thursday Oct. 25 Tampa Bay Buccaneers 7:20 p.m. NFLN
    9 Sunday Nov. 4 at Seattle Seahawks 3:15 p.m. FOX
    10 Sunday Nov. 11 Detroit Lions Noon* FOX
    11 Sunday Nov. 18 BYE WEEK
    12 Sunday Nov. 25 at Chicago Bears Noon* FOX
    13 Sunday Dec. 2 at Green Bay Packers Noon* FOX
    14 Sunday Dec. 9 Chicago Bears Noon* FOX
    15 Sunday Dec. 16 at St. Louis Rams Noon* FOX
    16 Sunday Dec. 23 at Houston Texans Noon* FOX
    17 Sunday Dec. 30 Green Bay Packers Noon* FOX

Schedule is very indicative of what the league expects from us, especially considering the state of our franchise, which no one really wants to talk about... Very disappointing day for me!

I also believe that we are sort of screwed with Ponder; drafting Kalil doesn't help us much IMO! Hope the owners don't **** things down the drain because Minnesotans are to blind to see the value/moneys the team brings in...

Debbie downer in me see's us taking Kalil, no trade options and taking a safe pick because there scared! Then reaching in the following rounds? Right! Isn't there a curse or something! ****!

It actually is a pretty easy schedule.

NFL schedule makers did a GREAT job in doing their best to avoid blackouts. Couple fellow creampuffs early to see if the team can't create some false hope. Then the only two home games after week 10 are teams that can draw fans.

Like the fact that we get to see both Luck and RGIII early as well.

We have a shot at 8-8 with the sked. :-)
    The poster formerly known as
    TEDBROWN23

I think we end up with 5 wins, maybe 6. Which is a pretty good jump from 3, where one of our wins was due to a shanked chip-shot field goal. But it is both an easy schedule and well positioned. Sure wish we had a better team. Go find some gold in the draft!

Go11

Quote Originally Posted by TeddyB View Post
    We have a shot at 8-8 with the sked. :-)
    really? I see half of that...
    Bleeding Purple since 1977

I can't see any negative with drafting Kalil. Irregardless of who is playing QB, the team needs someone to protect him. Outside of Richardson there are no other elite offensive players and I would argue that there are no elite defensive players. Blackmon is good, but he wouldn't be the best WR on this shoddy team. Claiborne is good but not anywhere close to Revis or Bailey.
    Outside of playing in a very good division, I think the schedule is favorable.

Quote Originally Posted by Platz View Post
    I can't see any negative with drafting Kalil. Irregardless of who is playing QB, the team needs someone to protect him. Outside of Richardson there are no other elite offensive players and I would argue that there are no elite defensive players. Blackmon is good, but he wouldn't be the best WR on this shoddy team. Claiborne is good but not anywhere close to Revis or Bailey.
    Outside of playing in a very good division, I think the schedule is favorable.
    Revis wasn't Revis coming out or he would have been a much higher pick.

The big issue with Kalil is that he probably adds a net 0 wins because the WRs and DBs still suck. I'm fine with the pick I just don't think he adds any instant impact at all.

NFLN had an ex-Giants scout (30+ year experience) on last night and he said that he liked Kalil's potential but doesn't think he is as good as Tyron Smith when coming out......Smith went 9th IIRC. Said he isn't as good as Thomas or Long. As I've been saying the entire time, he is overrated. Still a solid player but overrated. The scout said he has a ways to go in pass protection, which I suppose makes him a perfect fit for our team.

One other thing, if Ponder doesn't improve dramatically we'll be talking about what they need to do to get Barkley. We'll either be talking about what this team can do to help Ponderat which point some will be eating crow or we'll be talking a out Barkley at which point ithers will be eating crow. The latter will likely result in a new regime. Either way there will be plenty to talk about.

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoViking View Post
    Revis wasn't Revis coming out or he would have been a much higher pick.

The big issue with Kalil is that he probably adds a net 0 wins because the WRs and DBs still suck. I'm fine with the pick I just don't think he adds any instant impact at all.

NFLN had an ex-Giants scout (30+ year experience) on last night and he said that he liked Kalil's potential but doesn't think he is as good as Tyron Smith when coming out......Smith went 9th IIRC. Said he isn't as good as Thomas or Long. As I've been saying the entire time, he is overrated. Still a solid player but overrated. The scout said he has a ways to go in pass protection, which I suppose makes him a perfect fit for our team.
    Unless you're adding a really talented QB, WR, RB or ST player, when does a rookie enhance you chances of adding wins? I thought this was a team game.
    With regard to Revis I disagree. He was always that good. The problem was in the evaluation process. When you're a CB on a shoddy team, it's very easy to stay away from the one talented guy on the field.
    I've heard just as many reviews to the contrary with regard to Kalil. Like every year there are some guys that like a player and others that don't. How stupid would Carolina look right now if the listened to opinions on Newton last year and took Gabbert or Locker instead.
    Last edited by Platz; 04-18-2012 at 01:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tommyboy View Post
    really? I see half of that...
    I don't know....we play a lot of the worst teams in the league this year. If we only get 4 wins (completely possible) it means a lot of players (specifically Ponder) took a step backwards and not forwards.

Jags @ home --- A team VERY similar to us in they have a young crappy 2nd year QB which holds back the offense and a medicore defense. Very winnable.

Indy away --- Worst team in the league last year and, unless Luck is really, really good right away, this is a team that got SIGNIFICANTLY worse this offseason. Hard to get worse when you are the worst team in the league but they might have pulled it off. IMO unless you are a big believer in Luck being an impact player immediatly this is the team that should be the odds on favorite for the #1 overall pick next year again.

The games against teams like Seattle, St. Louis, Washington, Arizona and Tampa we could come out with some wins from.

...and you know we likely aren't going 0-6 in the division two years in a row (what are we the Lions???).

Add it all up and I have us as a 4-7 win team IMO.
    Last edited by ducky; 04-18-2012 at 01:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoViking View Post
    ...yeah but if we add a WR or CB instead of Kalil, our OL still sucks. In fact if we head into the season without adding a stud like Kalil at LT IMO our OL will be worse than what it was last season.

IMO this draft (pretty much like every draft) it is much safer and much easier to answer a LT problem with your 1st round pick and find WR and DB help later in the draft.
    Last edited by ducky; 04-18-2012 at 02:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ducky View Post
    I don't know....we play a lot of the worst teams in the league this year. If we only get 4 wins (completely possible) it means a lot of players (specifically Ponder) took a step backwards and not forwards.

Jags @ home --- A team VERY similar to us in they have a young crappy 2nd year QB which holds back the offense and a medicore defense. Very winnable.

Indy away --- Worst team in the league last year and, unless Luck is really, really good right away, this is a team that got SIGNIFICANTLY worse this offseason. Hard to get worse when you are the worst team in the league but they might have pulled it off. IMO unless you are a big believer in Luck being an impact player immediatly this is the team that should be the odds on favorite for the #1 overall pick next year again.

The games against teams like Seattle, St. Louis, Washington, Arizona and Tampa we could come out with some wins from.

...and you know we likely aren't going 0-6 in the division two years in a row (what are we the Lions???).

Add it all up and I have us as a 4-7 win team IMO.
    I looked at what I call 7 winnable games....and have us winning 4 of them...the other 9 are the 6 divisional games, we could win one of those, and the remaining 3 are against the niners, texans, and titans, and I don't see a win there. I see anywhere between 4-6 wins. not sure the draft is going to give us the immediate help that some may think....of course 95% of everything will hinge on the progression of Ponder. If we get last years version, then 4 wins would be an accomplishment.
    Bleeding Purple since 1977

I think the team can win 7-8 games if things break well, but the success sure looks like it will be frontloaded. The sked after the bye is division-loaded and tough, and even the Rams game is on the road.

The scout who thought T.Smith is better than Kalil? That's just odd, and seemingly contrary to what the USC coaching staff believed. I don't think he's in Jake Long's class. He's smaller for one thing, and does not engulf defenders the way Long often did/does.

But so what? At that spot in the draft, you need a sure thing. There are a lot of factors that affect a player's success, but I'll say it again - there are no red flags with Kalil. Performance, athleticism, size, football IQ, pedigree, character - all good to excellent. Prospects are not much cleaner than this. And he plays a position of need. Let's not out-think this.

Did it say where the home games are being played?
    If the majority distributes among itself the things of a minority, it is evident that it will destroy the city. --Aristotle
    If we did all the things we are capable of, we would literally astound ourselves. - Thomas Edison

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast