Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

So, my company got hammered by an F3 tornado this past weekend

They told us not to come back to work until notified. The whole section of town (Wichita) has been sealed off to deal with the devastation but the available pictures are showing lots of damage. No power, gas, or phones. Nobody killed but all aircraft (737, 747, 787, etc.)production has been suspended.

Last edited by lechrus2; 04-18-2012 at 12:08 AM.
    "I like my women the way I like my scotch, 20 years old and mix up in coke."

It's like God lets the Devil just randomly take a walk through the world when I see pictures like this.

Be thankful everyone was safe. By the looks of those buildings, "shelter" would have been tenuous at best.

are you getting paid?

No idea about getting paid. Probably not. They probably have an act of God clause.

The tornado passed two miles from my home. I was really sweating. Had been watching the weather radar all day long.

Trailer park got labled really bad. Probably what saved my house. Tornados are easily distracted by trailer parks.

Quote Originally Posted by lechrus2 View Post
    No idea about getting paid. Probably not. They probably have an act of God clause.

The tornado passed two miles from my home. I was really sweating. Had been watching the weather radar all day long.

Trailer park got labled really bad. Probably what saved my house.
    Tornados are easily distracted by trailer parks.
    For as tempting as it may be, I'll leave that one alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Cory J. Bonini View Post
    For as tempting as it may be, I'll leave that one alone.
    I know that you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant.

Probably right... bummer

I'm glad we don;t have a buncha natural disaster stuff to worry about up here in WA.

Your home have a basement or root cellar or something to go to?

Trailer park got labled really bad. Probably what saved my house. Tornados are easily distracted by trailer parks.
    Kinda seems that way doesn't it... don't think that'd be my preferred housing arrangement in a tornado prone area for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by byron2112 View Post
    Probably right... bummer

I'm glad we don't have a buncha natural disaster stuff to worry about up here in WA.

Your home have a basement or root cellar or something to go to?

Kinda seems that way doesn't it... don't think that'd be my preferred housing arrangement in a tornado prone area for sure.
    Well, I'm not living paycheck to paycheck fortunately. I imagine I'll be given the choice of no-pay or using my vacation time although might be forced to use my vacation time first. If I knew when they were calling me back, might head to Dallas for some recreation. Currently I'm "hunting coyotes" on a freind's ranch south of Wichita. This entails driving around in a mule with various firearms and significant amounts of intoxicants, at night. Something must have tipped off the coyotes because we didn't see any. Shot at a weasel but it must of been wearing a bullet proof vest.

Yes, I have an unfurnished half basement with a coal shoot in case of an F5. House was built in 1924 but I just know in my heart that it's time is soon up. I thought of thinking that thought while in the basement. Also realized that I should move my emergency supplies down there and probably need a survival kit for the car.

They told us not to come back to work until notified. The whole section of town (Wichita) has been sealed off to deal with the devastation but the available pictures are showing lots of damage. No power, gas, or phones. Nobody killed but all aircraft (737, 747, 787, etc.)production has been suspended.

As a fellow employee, I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

First of all, good to hear you and presumably your family are okay.

Second: I keep wondering why within these areas people continue to build housing that is so easily shredded/splinters when you breathe at it, rather than build either stone housing or concrete core housing, which would provide them some measure of safety in most cases, and still leave them with somewhat of a roof over their head.
    Al Michaels: "That's the loudest manure chant I have ever heared!"

Sleeping barely above the sea... and walking under water

Quote Originally Posted by DutchBird View Post

Second: I keep wondering why within these areas people continue to build housing that is so easily shredded/splinters when you breathe at it, rather than build either stone housing or concrete core housing, which would provide them some measure of safety in most cases, and still leave them with somewhat of a roof over their head.
    Never been in or near a tornado, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by DutchBird View Post

My family (who lives in the Chicago area) was very worried (probably because I alerted my Mom that a tornado was approaching). My Mom, sister, and brother were texting constantly asking for updates, until the local cell towers went down. Wind, hail, brief power outage. I wasn't that worried because I felt safe and knew I was covered by insurance but still I dreaded the potential aftermath and possible loss of all my worldly possessions.

Haven't been in touch with most of my colleagues yet, so I am unaware if any of them are personally suffering from injury or loss of their homes. I'm sure that some were affected, however I'd estimate that 70% of the tornado path and 90% of the intensity was on industrial and military property. By the time the tornado reached residential neighborhoods, the intensity had dropped down to an EF1/EF0, which while damaging generally won't raze a sturdier home. The tornado started basically about a mile before the plant and was at its widest and most powerful when it swept through the plant. Our facility is pretty big, like 45 buildings on a half square mile. The footprint of the entire grounds were within the tornado path.

Trailer parks/homes are generally the lowest cost housing option available for people who want to own rather than rent. If they could afford a better, sturdier home, I'm pretty sure they would. The denizens of trailer parks are typically very low income/Government assisted. Most every trailor park, apartment complex, etc. in Kanas is equipped with a storm shelter (picture below) is the entrance to the Pinaire Trailer Park.

Additonally, there are tornado sirens densely spread throughout Kansas. These are tested on Tuesday at noon. When I heard the local one tested this afternoon, the hairs on my neck raised because I'm currently in a shelterless location. Additionally, we are equipped with some of the best Doppler radar networks in the country, if not the world. When storms are approaching, we have instant saturation coverage on TV and radio. Many homes are equiipped with automatic weather radios and many cell phone companies send out text messages.

This storm was unique in that we had basicaly 24-hour advanced notice that it was going to be dangerous. Heard that this storm system produced more tornadoes in an 8-hour period than normally occur in a year in Kansas.

Sorry to hear you were in the path of that. No damage? thank goodness for that. Hope your company gets back on track soon, brief scan of news reports seem to indicate that possibility for some.

When I lived in Austin, I used to think it would be cool to see a tornado. Then we had one rip off the roof to a supermarket a few miles away and destroy a small town a little further. Now i never ever want to see one. scariest damn natural disaster going, totally unpredictable, and that black sky is positively hellish.
    I've got binders full of women
    and a one point plan.

Holy cow. Holy flying cow.

Sorry to hear that, lech, but glad you're OK. Any website for local area donations?

Sorry to hear that, lech. Enjoy the coyotes.
    Occupying the handicap bathroom stall

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast