Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Cheeseheads Should Thank Gov Walker

I wish my property taxes went down 10% this year...

According to Wisconsin's Department of Revenue, property taxes on homes in the state of Wisconsin have decreased for the first time in more than a decade.

Governor Scott Walker's pledge to balance the budget without raising taxes was a key plank of his 2010 campaign, and his fulfillment of that pledge will be a major campaign theme leading up to the June 5 recall election. “Our reforms have reversed a decade of property tax increases from previous administrations,” Walker said in a statement on Monday. “For the first time in over ten years, the average property taxpayer will have more money in his or her pocket than the year before.” Walker's office noted that property taxes had risen by 43 percent since 1998, and "the average homeowner would have paid an additional $700 over the biennium" without the 2011 budget reforms.

The property tax decrease is largely attributable to a reduction in state spending on local school districts, according to Todd Berry of the non-partisan Wisconsin Taxpayers' Alliance.
    http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/...rs_637099.html
    If the majority distributes among itself the things of a minority, it is evident that it will destroy the city. --Aristotle
    If we did all the things we are capable of, we would literally astound ourselves. - Thomas Edison

LOL, you are crazy. Property taxes are still significantly higher in Wisconsin than Minnesota. So we should thank him for keeping them the same when they haven't really gone up in years? They've basically been the same where I live since the recession started, which was before he took office.

Why is there always an imaginary line that goes straight up, completely out of proportion with the rest of the graph?
    I've got binders full of women
    and a one point plan.

I don't know about property taxes but I do know that home assessments are often rolled back in value in a downturn like this. It's pretty easy to petiton for a new value based on current conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by RayClay View Post
    Why is there always an imaginary line that goes straight up, completely out of proportion with the rest of the graph?
    This is the always popular "assuming nothing changes" coeficicent.

You've got to have a boogieman to claim that your ideology saves everyone from it

I'd rather my property taxes go higher than my kids' education suffer.
    Occupying the handicap bathroom stall

Quote Originally Posted by Marley View Post
    I'd rather my property taxes go higher than my kids' education suffer.
    It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Quote Originally Posted by nywis View Post
    Guess you're not here to see how Walker's cuts have directly impacted class size, class availability and teachers' ability to teach.
    Occupying the handicap bathroom stall

Why don't you ask the government agency that predicted it? Was it imaginary back in '00-'01 as well?

Again, nice try at distracting from a bad topic for the Left.
    If the majority distributes among itself the things of a minority, it is evident that it will destroy the city. --Aristotle
    If we did all the things we are capable of, we would literally astound ourselves. - Thomas Edison

Amazing how in Wisconsin Republican's want to thank the govenor for lower property taxes but in the state right next door in MN they refuse to acknowledge that the ex-Governor (also GOP) decision to slash funding for cities didn't dramatically increase property taxes in this state.

Quote Originally Posted by Marley View Post
    Guess you're not here to see how Walker's cuts have directly impacted class size, class availability and teachers' ability to teach.
    still don't want to blame the unions for anything huh? What school districts are having these issues.
    It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Quote Originally Posted by Vin Lombardi View Post
    Why don't you ask the government agency that predicted it? Was it imaginary back in '00-'01 as well?

Again, nice try at distracting from a bad topic for the Left.
    What, exactly, is the bad topic for the left you're positing here?
    Tell me where the bomb is or I will kill your son.

"Responsibility without conviction is weak, but it is sane. Conviction without responsibility, in the current incarnation of the Republican Party, is raving mad."

Quote Originally Posted by ducky View Post
    Amazing how in Wisconsin Republican's want to thank the govenor for lower property taxes but in the state right next door in MN they refuse to acknowledge that the ex-Governor (also GOP) decision to slash funding for cities didn't dramatically increase property taxes in this state.
    We've had a Democratic Governor now for two property tax cycles, and my taxes have gone up significantly each year.

Quote Originally Posted by PatsFan2003 View Post
    I don't know about property taxes but I do know that home assessments are often rolled back in value in a downturn like this. It's pretty easy to petiton for a new value based on current conditions.
    Yeah. the OP's graph is pretty useless without knowing how much housing prices have been affected during the same period.

Except as bait.
    As smart as the internet

We're all Bozo's on this bus.~FST

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast