Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Catasauqua, PA
    Posts
    11,915

    WSOP - Upping the Ante

    The WSOP will be hosting a NL Holdem Tournament with a whooping $1 million dollar entry fee. So far they have 30 commitments with only 11 of those being Pro players. Meaning the other 18 are rich business who $1 million is much too and they just want a shot at glory. With 30 players top prize will be $12.3 million. They are capping the tournament at 48 players and my guess is they'll hit the 48. If they do then top prize will be $18.3 million. The casino isn't taking a cut as they normally would, but instead 11% will be donated to some worthy charity. The tournament will be televised on ESPN. So far Daniel Negreanu, Tom Dwan, Erik Seidel, Gus Hansen, Patrick Antonius, Jonathon Duhame, l& Johnny Chan are entered. I surprised not to see a few of the other top Pros like Phil Ivey and I'm sure a few other Pros will pool money to get a stake in the big game. The question will Doyle Bronson enter? I think it's exciting to finally see something like this.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    657
    11% vig.

    freaking CRAZY.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Catasauqua, PA
    Posts
    11,915
    Quote Originally Posted by rrizgod View Post
    11% vig.

    freaking CRAZY.
    I'm pretty sure it was a stipulation by the Pro players that no money be taken by the Casino and that instead take a portion and donate it to charity. The Pro players feel that the publicity the casino is going to get is enough. In fact if the casino didn't agree the pro players spearheading this tournament weren't going to play in it. I love it though. With that much money invested I'm wondering if certain loose players might play tighter.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    657
    I guarantee you most of those pro players have agreed to split their winnings with each other. Huge variance in putting up a million like that. Honestly, im not even sure how some of them do it. Considering poker is in a bad state right now.

    Still, 11% vig is dumb. The Vig on a tournament with that big of a buy in should be like 5% tops. It doesn't require 1.5 million to run a 30 person tournament.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    10,885
    Quote Originally Posted by rrizgod View Post
    I guarantee you most of those pro players have agreed to split their winnings with each other. Huge variance in putting up a million like that. Honestly, im not even sure how some of them do it. Considering poker is in a bad state right now.

    Still, 11% vig is dumb. The Vig on a tournament with that big of a buy in should be like 5% tops. It doesn't require 1.5 million to run a 30 person tournament.
    It's not a vig you rube, it's a charitable donation of 11%. They're doing this for a charity. That is why the wealthy business types are entering this (I'm not positive, but I believe Guy Laliberte is the one spear-heading it and playing in it as well).

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Catasauqua, PA
    Posts
    11,915
    Quote Originally Posted by griz View Post
    It's not a vig you rube, it's a charitable donation of 11%. They're doing this for a charity. That is why the wealthy business types are entering this (I'm not positive, but I believe Guy Laliberte is the one spear-heading it and playing in it as well).
    Exactly the Casino isn't making a penny other then the publicity they are getting from it and in reality how much more can they get considering all they are getting from the complete WSOP being played at there Casino. I think this is a big win for everyone and is great for the Charities the money is going to help.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    657
    Quote Originally Posted by griz View Post
    It's not a vig you rube, it's a charitable donation of 11%. They're doing this for a charity. That is why the wealthy business types are entering this (I'm not positive, but I believe Guy Laliberte is the one spear-heading it and playing in it as well).
    of course its a vig you rube. doesnt' matter where the money is going. Its still a vig.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Oak Cliff
    Posts
    21,931
    Quote Originally Posted by rrizgod View Post
    of course its a vig you rube. doesnt' matter where the money is going. Its still a vig.
    But your concerns only make sense if profit was a value for this tournament. It's not.
    "And if there is nothing that can so hide the face of our fellow-man as morality can, religion can hide from us as nothing else can the face of God." -- Martin Buber

    "You do not like religion; we started from that assumption. But in conducting an honest battle against it, which is not completely without effort, you do not want to have fought against a shadow like the one with which we have struggled." -- Friedrich Schleiermacher

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  






Part of USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties.