Thread: Asante Samuels

Asante Samuels

John Clayton answered a question about the Eagles ability to trade Asante Samuels and what they could expect to get for him and his answer was the Eagles could only get a 4th or 5th round pick for him. Just wanted to get your thoughts on this?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/78...ent-richardson
    ***It's the final question in the article in case you want to skip the rest of the questions.

4th or 5th is the reason why he is still an Eagle, might as well keep him rather than take that. I am sure once the draft hits and somebody doesn't get a corner they want the value will go up. Worst case is they keep him, I can think of worse things than having a Pro Bowl corner on the other side of a Pro Bowl corner

I'd rather keep him too BUT recognize that having cap room is what allowed us to sign a respectable replacement at LOT when Peters went down. Asante would free up $9.5 mil. The Eagles like to have that ability to make a big move when necessary.
    Chip is the man!

At this point, he doesnt fit. Hes not a cover corner and hes not really a danger outside of passes under 10 yards. He jumps out,hook and in routes, hes a major liability to the deep ball. If you could get a 4th rounder to dump his cap figure, you take it and run. DRC is a much better cover guy and hes younger with a better cap number. Dump asante and draft a nickle cb and a safety who can help in coverage and it improves this team by defualt. Right now hes like a bruised apple in an apple market.
    "Girl was bout as nutty as squirel $h!t"- Uncle ruckas.

If he will restructure his contract, which he says he will, and if all they can get is a 4th rounder, then keep him. He is the best cover guy they have. I never was enamored with DRC, just because he is taller and faster. This isn't a track meet.

Nothing worse than watching a guy lose a step. Get rid of him now or watch him tail off....as the other team scores.

He's the best corner we've got.

If we trade him, it'll be for a 2013 3rd rounder.

Which wouldn't be enough compensation, but they might want to see the DRC failure plan through to the end.

The Eagles have no problem with the Cap they are still have almost 11 mill available, Free agency is pretty much over so there is really no cap issues. The Eagles have signed most of the guys they are going to sign for the future (McCoy aside).

I'd much rather trade DRC but the Eagles won't. They like pussies in their secondary.

Quote Originally Posted by swat View Post
    I'd much rather trade DRC but the Eagles won't. They like pussies in their secondary.
    Is they why we won't draft a SS this year?
    Chip is the man!

Fourth rounder is about what I expected, and I would do the deal to get him and his salary out of the way, if there were takers. Unfortunately I think there either are none or the Eagles think he is worth more than he is.

Or maybe he's been saying and doing the right things and the birds wouldn't mind keeping him.
    Chip is the man!

He'll probably get traded on draft day, late 3rd round value.

I doubt it would actually be on draft day because teams will have wanted to negotiate a contract restructuring that reduces his 2012 cap hit. Apparently that is what's holding up a deal. What teams are offeriing in a restructuring hasn't satisfied Samuel.