DOL restricting access to employment data

DOL forcing media to use government computers

The Department of Labor allows journalists access to employment data before it's released so that they can prepare their stories ahead of time.

Some new changes are afoot:

1) Everybody will need to re-credentialed.
    2) Only 20-30 people from "journalistic enterprises” will be allowed access. (The DOL promises not to consider one's politics in making credentialing decisions.)
    4) Only Government-supplied computers will be allowed to be used.

The concern of news organizations is that their ability to prepare publishable charts and consult previous stories/information for context and analyses will be compromised. They're also concerned that the new process will slow down delivery of the news. Sounds like that's the plan.
    "I like my women the way I like my scotch, 20 years old and mix up in coke."

Most transparent administration ever.
    "There were many ways of not burdening one's conscience, of shunning responsibility, looking away, keeping mum. When the unspeakable truth of the holocaust then became known at the end of the war, all too many of us claimed that they had not known anything about it or even suspected anything."

- Richard Von Weizsaecker

Government data is a major source of insider trading risk. Haven't you seen Trading Places?

Seriously, as long as they provide open access to the information very promptly after the moment of release, I'm not sure I'm seeing a big-deal problem here.

And by the way -- does anybody doubt that the Wall Street Journal and Fox News will be among the credentialed?
    APF doesn't come in screaming at others about how stupid they are. APF doesn't spam NST with the same tired topic 30 times a month. APF doesn't link to some kook in his mom's basement telling you how to, "Be afraid. Be very afraid" of the world falling down around you. And, when APF is proven wrong, he acknowledges he made a mistake and moves on, rather than harping about "sheeple."

-- Cory Bonini

Welchie summarized

Quote Originally Posted by AndromedaPatFan View Post
    And by the way -- does anybody doubt that the Wall Street Journal and Fox News will be among the credentialed?
    They are the same entity anyway.

Like you said, everyone still gets the data, just restricting pre release.
    The consistent factor of all of your dissatisfying relationships and failures is you.

R.W. 09.21.10 I love you.

Quote Originally Posted by Superbelt View Post
    They are the same entity anyway.

Like you said, everyone still gets the data, just restricting pre release.
    I bet Murdoch will get 2-3 of the seats available.
    APF doesn't come in screaming at others about how stupid they are. APF doesn't spam NST with the same tired topic 30 times a month. APF doesn't link to some kook in his mom's basement telling you how to, "Be afraid. Be very afraid" of the world falling down around you. And, when APF is proven wrong, he acknowledges he made a mistake and moves on, rather than harping about "sheeple."

-- Cory Bonini

Welchie summarized

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by lechrus2 View Post
    DOL forcing media to use government computers

The Department of Labor allows journalists access to employment data before it's released so that they can prepare their stories ahead of time.

Some new changes are afoot:

1) Everybody will need to re-credentialed.
    2) Only 20-30 people from "journalistic enterprises” will be allowed access. (The DOL promises not to consider one's politics in making credentialing decisions.)
    4) Only Government-supplied computers will be allowed to be used.

The concern of news organizations is that their ability to prepare publishable charts and consult previous stories/information for context and analyses will be compromised. They're also concerned that the new process will slow down delivery of the news. Sounds like that's the plan.
    What does this paragraph mean?

Since the stock market can rise or fall by hundreds of points as a result of such a data release, making sure nobody gets an advance peek at the data is critical to insuring the integrity of the process.
    I've got binders full of women
    and a one point plan.

What this all means is that the DOL and wallstreet regulators are probably concerned (i.e. they've seen multiple cases of it occurring but haven't prosecuted) that too many journalists have access to the data and have become a source of leaks that are then being used by insiders.

As APF pointed out, there was a fantastic documentary made in the early 80's about the attempts of two brothers, Randolph and Mortimer Dukes, to trade on insider info and illegally profit off the orange juice commodity market.
    The cake is a lie. I'm pretty sure the numbers in the pie chart are made up too.