Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Cabin in the Woods...

Not a "great" movie... but pleasantly original, humorous and entertaining.

This is a horror movie that really isn't all that scary... nor does it particularly try to be. Rather, this movie uses a typical "horror" scenario and cast of characters as a loose foundation... and the writers riff like jazz musicians from there.

Without giving anything away: there is a nifty infusion of philosophical ideas into the plot. Ultimately however, this infusion is superficial and not seriously delved into. I left the theater thinking that if the writers went in a slightly different direction and put more "uumph" into the intellectual side of the movie... The Cabin in the Woods could have been a revelation.

As it stands, though: Cabin is a fun ride that ventures into unexpected/unexplored territory. Take it for what it is... and that's not too shabby.

Brought to you by Joss Weedon and Drew Goddard of Buffy the Vampire Slayer fame. If you are at all familiar with this TV show... you will recognize some similarities in style between it and Cabin (both are a little campy and off-beat). That being said: I was never a big fan of Buffy... yet I enjoyed this flick.

I recommend for a good (not great) night at the movies. Here's the trailer:

Last edited by Gmaniac; 04-14-2012 at 01:38 PM.
    Although it is said that our faith concerns matters which are obscure, the reasons for embracing the faith are not obscure but on the contrary are clearer than any natural light.
    -Descartes

Was this a re-do of sorts of Evil Dead?
    A Drinking Team with a Cycling Problem

If we are going to start threads about good but not great things then be prepared to hear about my most recent meatloaf, round of golf, and the sale items I purchased at Kohls.

Just saw it tonight, I thought most of the movie was damn good for a horror movie BUT SPOILERS..
    I really didn't like when all of the monsters were released, I thought most of them were stupid and it was lame.
    "You don't understand, there was shrinkage."

I haven't seen it and I don't know the plot, but from the hints I'm getting it sounds like there are themes Joss has explored before. He's big on evil cleancut guys experimenting with ... well, with evil.
    APF doesn't come in screaming at others about how stupid they are. APF doesn't spam NST with the same tired topic 30 times a month. APF doesn't link to some kook in his mom's basement telling you how to, "Be afraid. Be very afraid" of the world falling down around you. And, when APF is proven wrong, he acknowledges he made a mistake and moves on, rather than harping about "sheeple."

-- Cory Bonini

Welchie summarized

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by AndromedaPatFan View Post
    I haven't seen it and I don't know the plot, but from the hints I'm getting it sounds like there are themes Joss has explored before. He's big on evil cleancut guys experimenting with ... well, with evil.
    Yes, this is true. Like I said above, if you've seen Buffy the Vampire Slayer or Angel you will definitely notice similarities.

But, without giving anything away, this movie is better conceived and more entertaining than either of those TV series. (IMO, of course)
    Although it is said that our faith concerns matters which are obscure, the reasons for embracing the faith are not obscure but on the contrary are clearer than any natural light.
    -Descartes

Quote Originally Posted by Gmaniac View Post
    Yes, this is true. Like I said above, if you've seen Buffy the Vampire Slayer or Angel you will definitely notice similarities.

But, without giving anything away, this movie is better conceived and more entertaining than either of those TV series. (IMO, of course)
    Given the brilliant layering of metaphor in Buffy, I find it very unlikely I'd agree with that assessment. :)

I don't think it's possible for anybody, even an overlapping creative team, to do a two-hour-or-so movie as well-conceived as, say, the Buffy/Angelus plot in Buffy Season 2. And from what I've heard, I'd guess the movie also doesn't match Buffy's warmth and wit.
    APF doesn't come in screaming at others about how stupid they are. APF doesn't spam NST with the same tired topic 30 times a month. APF doesn't link to some kook in his mom's basement telling you how to, "Be afraid. Be very afraid" of the world falling down around you. And, when APF is proven wrong, he acknowledges he made a mistake and moves on, rather than harping about "sheeple."

-- Cory Bonini

Welchie summarized

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by AndromedaPatFan View Post
    Given the brilliant layering of metaphor in Buffy, I find it very unlikely I'd agree with that assessment. :)

I don't think it's possible for anybody, even an overlapping creative team, to do a two-hour-or-so movie as well-conceived as, say, the Buffy/Angelus plot in Buffy Season 2. And from what I've heard, I'd guess the movie also doesn't match Buffy's warmth and wit.
    I can see you are somewhat of a fan (), so I'll defer to your judgement in this matter.
    -Descartes

Seen on a New York City subway ad:

"You think you know the story."

"And I don't really give a sh!t if I'm wrong."
    “Since Jesus preached that a ‘spiritual kingdom’ focuses on the world beyond……a true Christian makes a bad citizen. Christians do not care about improving temporal society because they are interested only in a future one.”—Hector Avalos, Fighting Words: The Origins of Religious Violence

Goddard was also involved in writing for Lost, so I think this movie will have a broad appeal once hit hits DVD.

Not a "great" movie... but pleasantly original, humorous and entertaining.

This is a horror movie that really isn't all that scary... nor does it particularly try to be. Rather, this movie uses a typical "horror" scenario and cast of characters as a loose foundation... and the writers riff like jazz musicians from there.

Without giving anything away: there is a nifty infusion of philosophical ideas into the plot. Ultimately however, this infusion is superficial and not seriously delved into. I left the theater thinking that if the writers went in a slightly different direction and put more "uumph" into the intellectual side of the movie... The Cabin in the Woods could have been a revelation.

As it stands, though: Cabin is a fun ride that ventures into unexpected/unexplored territory. Take it for what it is... and that's not too shabby.

Brought to you by Joss Weedon and Drew Goddard of Buffy the Vampire Slayer fame. If you are at all familiar with this TV show... you will recognize some similarities in style between it and Cabin (both are a little campy and off-beat). That being said: I was never a big fan of Buffy... yet I enjoyed this flick.

I recommend for a good (not great) night at the movies. Here's the trailer:

Well, to a degree, it seems like you are missing the point. It was intended to be serious or even a horror movie, as Whedon and Goddard are huge horror fans. It's a satirical look at horror cliches through humor and a very slight bit of philosophical infusion. It was never meant to be taken seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Cory J. Bonini View Post
    Well, to a degree, it seems like you are missing the point. It was intended to be serious or even a horror movie, as Whedon and Goddard are huge horror fans. It's a satirical look at horror cliches through humor and a very slight bit of philosophical infusion. It was never meant to be taken seriously.
    Well, in my defense, I never said or suggested that the writers "meant to be taken seriously" with this movie.

As you might guess from my opening post, I am familiar with Whedon/Goddard and have a good idea what they are about.

The point I was trying to get across was that if the writers went in a slightly different direction and tried to put a little muscle into their "very slight bit of philosophical infusion"... I really think that could have paid huge dividends.

Other than that, I think we both agree that the movie was humorous and entertaining.
    -Descartes

Well, in my defense, I never said or suggested that the writers "meant to be taken seriously" with this movie.

As you might guess from my opening post, I am familiar with Whedon/Goddard and have a good idea what they are about.

The point I was trying to get across was that if the writers went in a slightly different direction and tried to put a little muscle into their "very slight bit of philosophical infusion"... I really think that could have paid huge dividends.

Other than that, I think we both agree that the movie was humorous and entertaining.
    Ah, gotcha. Yeah, misunderstood that part. I think it fine the way it was. It seems like if they went in a more philosophical direction it would have skewed the intent of an homage. Goddard said they may do another adaptation of it, which really could work if they put some thought into it. I guess he and Whedon wrote the entire movie in a hotel suite in Santa Monica in three days.

Quote Originally Posted by Cory J. Bonini View Post
    I guess he and Whedon wrote the entire movie in a hotel suite in Santa Monica in three days.
    That's pretty cool... and they did a remarkably good job for such quick work.

But it also explains why the story wasn't as "tight" as it could have been, IMO. A little more polishing, and this 'solid B+' movie could have been an 'A'.

JMO.
    -Descartes

Saw the movie the other day. I liked it, it was different. I knew nothing about it, didn't even watch the trailer and that helped. Could have been better and I agree with the spoiler above, but I liked the ending and I liked the overall point the movie went for. Was worth the watch. I was expecting more jumpy type scenes along the lines of something like Drag Me to Helll though(am I the only one who friggin' loves that movie?)
    "Governing doesn’t disappear when government shrinks; instead corporations come to govern your life — like HMO’s, oil companies, drug companies, agribusiness, and so on, with accountability only to maximizing profit, not to public needs." - George Lakoff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast