Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

ESPN Chicago Blog: Bears show special interest in Mercilus

not terribly surprising, but thought i'd pass it along anyway.

link.
    Your Chicago Bears: still learning about this newfangled thing called the "forward pass."

@ 19, yuck.
    @ 25, not horrible.
    Odd Facts:

The human brain is incapable of producing a face. Any face you see when you dream is one that you have physically viewed at some point in your life.

The Australian aborigine language has over 30 words for “dust.”

Nearly three percent of the ice in Antarctic glaciers is penguin urine.

When you see little white or clear dots floating in your vision, they are actually your own white blood cells.

Does he play BPA?

I think the fact that the Bears have shown public interest in Mercilus doesn't really bode well for him being drafted by the Bears. When was the last time we had a player drafted in the 1st round that the Bears showed public interest in?

I've already stated my opinion on Mercilus. I don't think he's worth gambling on with a 1st round pick, but maybe that's just me.
    "Nationalism is power hunger tempered by self-deception." - George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by DaSuperfan View Post
    I think the fact that the Bears have shown public interest in Mercilus doesn't really bode well for him being drafted by the Bears. When was the last time we had a player drafted in the 1st round that the Bears showed public interest in?

I've already stated my opinion on Mercilus. I don't think he's worth gambling on with a 1st round pick, but maybe that's just me.
    Good point, but that was another GM. I go back and forth on Mercilus. Not my ideal pick, but wouldn't hate the pick either.
    Basic, yes, but it was something we rarely saw under former Bears coordinator Ron Turner. Turner's idea of in-game adjustments involved his boxer shorts. -Rick Morrissey.

It's hard to speculate what Emery's MO will be.

Sure, he worked under a few other guys, and will likely follow their styles to a point, but he's still his own man trying to set his own standard.

I'd say that we'll have to wait until his fifth draft or so before we can accurately predict trends based on anything other than a hunch.

it's not just you.

but here's the thing -- i count fifteen, maybe sixteen players who consistently have a first-round grade; of those, a dozen seem to be in practically everyone's top 30. even if all sixteen are consensus first-rounders, you still have the same number of picks to go in the first round. by definition, then, half of Day 1 is gonna be reach picks anyway.
    Your Chicago Bears: still learning about this newfangled thing called the "forward pass."

Quote Originally Posted by thunderspirit View Post
    it's not just you.

but here's the thing -- i count fifteen, maybe sixteen players who consistently have a first-round grade; of those, a dozen seem to be in practically everyone's top 30. even if all sixteen are consensus first-rounders, you still have the same number of picks to go in the first round. by definition, then, half of Day 1 is gonna be reach picks anyway.
    Well, let's make sure we're not one of those teams that reach then. :)

Quote Originally Posted by BearsFanInMN View Post
    Good point, but that was another GM. I go back and forth on Mercilus. Not my ideal pick, but wouldn't hate the pick either.
    True, it was another GM. I'm just hoping Lovie isn't really the one running the show here. We've certainly heard rumblings that this may be the case, but who really knows? I really hope Emery has the sense to take into consideration the type of players that Lovie and his coaches want, but at the same time, he has the intestinal fortitude to draft the players he deems as the best fit for the organization.

I'd love him as I've said many times already.
    BEAR DOWN..................... AND WHILE YOU'RE DOWN THERE.....

I'm with ya. I don't think any of the DEs including Mecilus provide value whatsoever but we'll end up with one because Lovie and Marinelli "need" one.

Quote Originally Posted by PC Load Letter View Post
    I'm with ya. I don't think any of the DEs including Mecilus provide value whatsoever but we'll end up with one because Lovie and Marinelli "need" one.
    Are you saying you don't think they "need" one?

Quote Originally Posted by janos_51 View Post
    @ 19, yuck.
    @ 25, not horrible.
    If he's the guy they want, who cares about that? 6 picks difference...is that so you can pay him less or just feel better that you waited 6 spots to grab him?

I'm saying he's not worth taking where we're picking. If we trade down, then I can live with the value.
    Odd Facts:

The human brain is incapable of producing a face. Any face you see when you dream is one that you have physically viewed at some point in your life.

The Australian aborigine language has over 30 words for “dust.”

Nearly three percent of the ice in Antarctic glaciers is penguin urine.

When you see little white or clear dots floating in your vision, they are actually your own white blood cells.

Quote Originally Posted by TBATB54 View Post
    Are you saying you don't think they "need" one?
    No I think we need to improve our pass rush...I just don't see a scenario where Mercilus is clearly the BPA. I don't think he is head and shoulders above some of the DEs that can be had in the 2nd/3rd. If Coples somehow fell I'd rather gamble on him if we're going DE.

I still believe one of the "top 4" CBs will be available and are better players vs. Mercilus so I'd take one before I take him. Then there's also the outside chance of Floyd as well.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast