Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky Roma View Post
    I'm a writer, a poet.
    A genius? I know it.
    I don't buy cheeba, I grow it.
    I mix business and pleasure way too much.
    Wine, women, song and such.
    I'm your mama, I'm your daddy
    I'm that nigga in the alley
    I'm your doctor when in need
    Want some coke, have some weed
    You know me, I'm your friend
    Your main boy, thick and thin

I'm your pusherman
    I'm your pusherman

Ain't I clean, bad machine
    Super cool, super mean
    Dealin' good for the Man,
    Superfly, here I stand
    Secret stash, heavy bread
    Baddest bitches in the bed

I'm your pusherman
    I'm your pusherman
    I'm your pusherman

The RRHOF is an absolute joke. They just disgrace themselves year after year after year. Hugely successful and/or influential bands like Rush, Kiss, and Deep Purple have been waiting well over a decade, but lesser artists like GNR, RHCP, and Beastie Boys just get thrown right in as soon as they become eligible. It's absurd. With the insane oversights they keep making, I don't understand how anyone can actually take them seriously anymore.

Paul's Boutique is a truly great album.

Quote Originally Posted by flyerhawk View Post
    GNR, RHCP, Beaties, and Crickets. IMO.

Comets could make an argument.
    This ^

Quote Originally Posted by brh View Post
    The RRHOF is an absolute joke. They just disgrace themselves year after year after year. Hugely successful and/or influential bands like Rush, Kiss, and Deep Purple have been waiting well over a decade, but lesser artists like GNR, RHCP, and Beastie Boys just get thrown right in as soon as they become eligible. It's absurd. With the insane oversights they keep making, I don't understand how anyone can actually take them seriously anymore.
    I just assumed Rush, KISS and Deep Purple were all in. Must be politics.
    "There were many ways of not burdening one's conscience, of shunning responsibility, looking away, keeping mum. When the unspeakable truth of the holocaust then became known at the end of the war, all too many of us claimed that they had not known anything about it or even suspected anything."

- Richard Von Weizsaecker

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky Roma View Post
    Paul's Boutique is a truly great album.
    Droppin science like Galileo dropped an orange.

I'm your pusherman
    I'm your pusherman

Super cool, super mean
    Superfly, here I stand

I'm your pusherman
    I'm your pusherman
    I'm your pusherman

Why did it take so long for the Crickets to get in?
    Occupying the handicap bathroom stall

Quote Originally Posted by Breed View Post
    I'd like to hear RayClay opine in this thread for his take on some of the older acts going in.
    Donovan was kind of a folkie, but a massive underrated influence on rock's golden era. check out his catalogue, you'll be amazed at how big a singer songwriter he was.

His storytelling on John Lennon meeting and goofing on the Maharishi is induction worthy alone, I would love to find it somewhere (I have no idea).

Faces deserve it if only for "stay with me" the most raunchy, misogynist, nasty, insulting song of all time. In other words, the essence of rock and roll and i love it.

Small faces were pretty influential, (itchycoo park) with ronnie Lane and Steve marriott (later humble pie leader) also included future stones sideman Ian McGlagan. Big in England, they morphed into the faces when Rod Stewart and Ronnie Wood joined. Bunch of rowdy drunken bastards, they were.

Not sure about this backup band without the leader thing. i don't know who was in the miracles. Famous Flames? they weren't without James. Seems kind of contrived, are the Pips already in?

Love doowop, but it's before my time. The Comets without Bill Haley? Didn't even like the whole group, but they are historical figures.

Happy to contribute your POTMness.

Kirshner was one of the worst hosts in TV history, but, besides the rock concert show his, contribution was the Brill building for songwiters like Neal Diamond, Carol King and Lieber and Stoller and producer Phil sector. A massive chunk of the early songs of Rock and roll and the Monkees (Neal Diamond).

Nice article about the Brill building and Kirshner.

http://www.rockphiles.com/rp_artist.php?act_id=19
    I've got binders full of women
    and a one point plan.

That the world is explicable is miraculous, and so explanations need not be the undoing of miracles.

We never learn anything, never in the world, and in spite of all the history books written. Thereís a regular warehouse of fine suggestions, and if weíre not better it isnít because there arenít plenty of marvelous and true ideas to draw on, but because our vanity weighs more than all of them put together.

Guns N' Roses is definantly a sure fire HoF band, they were an exeptional R&R band. Off hand, other than TOOL, I don't think there has been a better band since GnR.

Also, Use Your Illusion is 2 albums, you buy them seperately and each album is about 60 minutes; it's not like Physical Graffiti.
    "You don't understand, there was shrinkage."

Quote Originally Posted by RayClay View Post
    Donovan was kind of a folkie, but a massive underrated influence on rock's golden era. check out his catalogue, you'll be amazed at how big a singer songwriter he was.

His storytelling on John Lennon meeting and goofing on the Maharishi is induction worthy alone, I would love to find it somewhere (I have no idea).

Faces deserve it if only for "stay with me" the most raunchy, misogynist, nasty, insulting song of all time. In other words, the essence of rock and roll and i love it.

Small faces were pretty influential, (itchycoo park) with ronnie Lane and Steve marriott (later humble pie leader) also included future stones sideman Ian McGlagan. Big in England, they morphed into the faces when Rod Stewart and Ronnie Wood joined. Bunch of rowdy drunken bastards, they were.

Not sure about this backup band without the leader thing. i don't know who was in the miracles. Famous Flames? they weren't without James. Seems kind of contrived, are the Pips already in?

Love doowop, but it's before my time. The Comets without Bill Haley? Didn't even like the whole group, but they are historical figures.

Happy to contribute your POTMness.

Kirshner was one of the worst hosts in TV history, but, besides the rock concert show his, contribution was the Brill building for songwiters like Neal Diamond, Carol King and Lieber and Stoller and producer Phil sector. A massive chunk of the early songs of Rock and roll and the Monkees (Neal Diamond).

Nice article about the Brill building and Kirshner.

http://www.rockphiles.com/rp_artist.php?act_id=19
    Heh. Thanks, Ray. I appreciate it. I always dig hearing your take on music.

Yeah, Donovan got a lotta love for his up-coming induction on all the local news channels here. Not sure, but I guess he lives in the LA area.

Agree about the back up band/singers w/o the lead singer being weird. And yeah, the Pips are in, and they went in long after Gladys Knight did. Back ups going in gives credence to Roma's and brhs' post about the hall being a sham.

Kirshener may've been a terrible host (I can't say one way or the other) but he had a damn cool show. I remember watching a tribute show to him once and I guess quite a few acts played songs. Years before they would become hits or before those acts actually put out the songs. The Steve Miller Band's "Fly Like An Eagle" was one they mentioned that I remember seeing when it aired.

I'm your pusherman
    I'm your pusherman

Super cool, super mean
    Superfly, here I stand

I'm your pusherman
    I'm your pusherman
    I'm your pusherman

Quote Originally Posted by Breed View Post
    Heh. Thanks, Ray. I appreciate it. I always dig hearing your take on music.

Yeah, Donovan got a lotta love for his up-coming induction on all the local news channels here. Not sure, but I guess he lives in the LA area.

Agree about the back up band/singers w/o the lead singer being weird. And yeah, the Pips are in, and they went in long after Gladys Knight did. Back ups going in gives credence to Roma's and brhs' post about the hall being a sham.

Kirshener may've been a terrible host (I can't say one way or the other) but he had a damn cool show. I remember watching a tribute show to him once and I guess quite a few acts played songs. Years before they would become hits or before those acts actually put out the songs. The Steve Miller Band's "Fly Like An Eagle" was one they mentioned that I remember seeing when it aired.
    He was a behind the scenes guy. Sorry, i used to love making fun of his monotone. Google some of those songwriters names and see how many well known rock songs came out of his songwriting factory. Of course he had a tie to all those acts which is why that show was great. He was a huge force in music before the show, he knew acts and songwriters.
    I've got binders full of women
    and a one point plan.

Until they put RUSH in the Rock & Roll HOF is dead to me. Nobody on that list is nearly as worthy as they.

Honestly, even if they put RUSH in the R&RHOF is still pretty much a joke letting in people like Neil Diamond, ABBA, and Madonna. None of those people are rockers and the didn't influence rock either. They have no business in the discussion and the cheapen the accolaid by having recieved it.
    A Drinking Team with a Cycling Problem

no Deep Purple?
    no Rush?

I like Freddie King finally getting in.
    The Leafies are Scumbags.

IMO people take the name "Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame" too literally. It is basically the MUSIC Hall of Fame. I mean, people like Aretha Franklin and the Supremes are in there, not because they were Rock nor do they have that big of an influence on rock music I would say, but because of their talent/career/legacy/influence otherwise in their genre and in popular music overall. It is more about a mass appeal and general influence across the board, not just limited to rock music.

That is why I support Madonna being in. She may not be a huge Rock influence but she was ground breaking for a female artist and is a huge influence on females in pop music. And she's still making music today and young female artists still look up to her as a pioneer.

As for ABBA and Neil Diamond, well I'm with ya there, while they had some hits, I don't know if people regularly cite them as major influences in their music. I guess for them it's the sheer # of hits they had (they had a lot).

And all of this is not to say that the HOF doesn't make huge mistakes in leaving people out that they shouldn't. I think bands like Rush will have their day eventually, even if it is far later than most would like.
    "I am not superstitious. I'm a little stitious."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast