Pats sign OC Koppen

@AlbertBreer
    Koppen's 2-year deal is worth about $6 million, so it looks like NE expects him to start. May have to adjust that Konz pick in my mock.
    I didn't see this as a necessity and was looking forward to drafting a guy at C in the draft. That is not happening now. Could it be that Waters is retiring and Connolly needs to help at G? I hope not but it's a possibility. 3 mill per year is starter money. Helps depth but wish we had moved on.
    REx's prediction in 2011

1. Jets will win division FAIL
    2. Jets beat the Patriots FAIL
    3. Jets will beat Giants FAIL
    4. Jets will win AFC FAIL
    5. Jets will win the SB FAIL
    6. Ravens will beat Pats FAIL

I don't think this changes anything as far as the draft goes. Just gives them more flexibility. Won't stop them from drafting a center but they won't reach either.

They signed Light to a 2yr 12M deal last year and drafted Solder 17 overall. And we don't know how Koppen's deal is structured.

I also didn't see it as a major necessity since we had Connolly, but depth is always good. Maybe Waters/Light plan to show up for camp...and after 2 weeks decide to hang em' up like Bruschi did a few years ago.

Speaking of veteran players..Faulk said he wanted to come back for another year...I love Faulk, but I don't know about that.
    "I would not join any club that would have someone like me for a member." - Groucho Marx

Some details per rotoworld (and Mac's football blog)
    4/13/2012: Signed a two-year, $3.05 million contract. The deal included a $350,000 signing bonus. Another $2.7 million is available through incentives based on playing time. 2012: $850,000 (+ $150,000 workout bonus + $200,000 in per-game roster bonuses), 2013: $1.1 million (+ $200,000 workout bonus + $200,000 in per-game roster bonuses), 2014: Free Agent
    According to this, much of the money is in incentives.

Looks like Koppen is rolling the dice on winning the starting job. If he doesn't win it..I think the Pats will keep him on as a back up for a year before cutting him because his base salary is 1.1 in 2013.
    "I would not join any club that would have someone like me for a member." - Groucho Marx

It may also mean they're not certain that Mankins will be 100% by the start of the season. IMO the more depth they can build on the OL, the better. We got lucky by signing a Pro Bowler like Waters at the last second last year. Can't hurt to have more bodies around, and it looks like Koppen's deal is almost 100% incentive-laden.
    "I don't Twitter, I don't MyFace, I don't do any of those things, so I'd probably be the last to know."

- Bill Belichick on the social media exploits of Chad Ochocinco