Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by westpoint View Post
    I just find it funny that the only 2nd hand colleges we pick from are in Texas.
    And Louisiana, for whatever reason.

Here is my rundown of Angelo's "non traditional power school" picks:

LaFavor (Central Michigan)
    Webb (West Texas State)
    Gilbert (San Jose State)
    D.J. Moore (Vanderbilt)
    Knox (Albien Christian)
    Louis (San Diego State)
    Williams (Vanderbilt)
    Forte (Tulane)
    Bennett (Vanderbilt)
    Seltz (Louisiana State)
    Bazuin (Central Michigan)
    Wolf (Northern Illinois)
    Payne (Louisiana Monroe)
    Graham (New Hampshire)
    McBride (Mississippi)
    Manning (Albien Christian)
    Harris (Louisiana Monroe)
    Tillman (Louisiana Lafayette)

Williams (Tuskegee)
    Metcalf (Mississippi)
    Gray (Louisiana Tech)
    Peterson (Georgia Southern)
    Elliot (Delaware)

Probably fewer Texas choices than you think, really.

Also, two quick thoughts
    1.) that is WAY too many small school picks.
    2.) that is a pretty pathetic success rate on small school picks
    Tall, Dorky, and Ham-handed

LSU isn't a power school? :P

I don't think you can call Vandy a non-trad. Sure they've got a terrible program, but they're still in the SEC.

Likewise, drafting a player from Northwestern isn't the same as drafting one from Central Michigan. Even if the player was deciding between those two schools back in high school.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigwill View Post
    I don't think you can call Vandy a non-trad. Sure they've got a terrible program, but they're still in the SEC.

Likewise, drafting a player from Northwestern isn't the same as drafting one from Central Michigan. Even if the player was deciding between those two schools back in high school.
    JMSO, i think Ole Miss would fall into this category, too.
    Your Chicago Bears: still learning about this newfangled thing called the "forward pass."

Quote Originally Posted by chewtoy View Post
    The players being replaced at DT and DE are of the Caliber of Adams and Okoye. We can find players of that caliber on the free agent market or in the draft without spending a top pick.
    Agreed. I don't mind spending a draft pick on a DT - just not a first. Even a 2nd or a 3rd is probably too high, IMO, unless the DT is head-and-shoulders BPA at that point. In the first & second, I'm looking more toward immediate upgrades at starting spots.
    None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you... you're locked in here with me. ........
    .......................Best Green Bay quote ever: "We'll never forget you, Brent." .......

And Louisiana, for whatever reason.

Here is my rundown of Angelo's "non traditional power school" picks:

LaFavor (Central Michigan)
    Webb (West Texas State)
    Gilbert (San Jose State)
    D.J. Moore (Vanderbilt)
    Knox (Albien Christian)
    Louis (San Diego State)
    Williams (Vanderbilt)
    Forte (Tulane)
    Bennett (Vanderbilt)
    Seltz (Louisiana State)
    Bazuin (Central Michigan)
    Wolf (Northern Illinois)
    Payne (Louisiana Monroe)
    Graham (New Hampshire)
    McBride (Mississippi)
    Manning (Albien Christian)
    Harris (Louisiana Monroe)
    Tillman (Louisiana Lafayette)

Williams (Tuskegee)
    Metcalf (Mississippi)
    Gray (Louisiana Tech)
    Peterson (Georgia Southern)
    Elliot (Delaware)

Probably fewer Texas choices than you think, really.
    Wasn't LaFavor the DT from FL???

Unless you mean LaFlouer the QB from MI...

And didn't Wolfe go to Illni, not North IL???
    The two-wheeled scourge of the streets

Peppers has several good years left in him. 3-4 min. You draft his replacement in 2-3 years, not now. Having starters who are "Old but productive" is a reason for drafting BACKUPS and PROJECTS, both of which you draft late in the draft, not early. "Immediate starters" and top end draft picks should be spent where they can maximize their potential and the potential of our team.
    Drafting a DE in the 1st is not drafting for Peppers' replacement though, it would be replacing Idonije and ultimately should make even Peppers better as well having another pass rushing threat for teams to have to pay attention to.
    BEAR DOWN..................... AND WHILE YOU'RE DOWN THERE.....

Quote Originally Posted by The Kaiser View Post
    In theory going DE in the first makes sense but do you really see anyone that special there? Are the DE prospects available in the first really worth it? Or are we better off waiting to a Vinny Curry or Cam Johnson type or take shot at Bruce Irvin later?

Mercilus has the combine numbers and measurables and he's got one year of solid production to make him interesting. But there is still some risk there. Branch? Chandler Jones? Perry? Are they really going to make a difference? Or, to put it another way, are they really going to be that different from the Rd2,3 DE prospects.

And, quite frankly, I think you can probably say the same about the OL prospects- Adams? Martin? Glenn? Heck, even Reiff (not that impressive as a LT to be honest.)

If we're going to stay at 19 and we don't have a gift fall into our lap, and we really do want a "difference maker" (aka, playmaker) then you have to look at a Kirckpatrick or a Barron or for that matter a Wright or, God forbid, a Hill.
    Couldn't agree more. Emery says he is about watching film so I hope he sticks to that. JA/LS were so much into the measurables it killed us aka Hill.. I could easily see a Kirkpatrick/Wright/Barron if Emery sticks to his guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigwill View Post

Vandy has SEC caliber athletes and sends lots of guys to the pros. They just don't have the depth due to the academic standards. This is why they are notorious for hanging tight with vastly superior competition for 2-3 quarters. Depth.
    "I despise money" -NoSlowBuffalo-

Quote Originally Posted by jamus34 View Post
    Wasn't LaFavor the DT from FL???

Unless you mean LaFlouer the QB from MI...

And didn't Wolfe go to Illni, not North IL???
    Yes he meant Dan LeFevour of Central Michigan; the list begins with the most recent selections.

Garrett Wolfe played at Northern Illinois not Illinois; I was in the first row watching him torch Northwestern.

Quote Originally Posted by chariots View Post
    Yes he meant Dan LeFevour of Central Michigan; the list begins with the most recent selections.

Garrett Wolfe played at Northern Illinois not Illinois; I was in the first row watching him torch Northwestern.
    Gotcha...thanks.
    The two-wheeled scourge of the streets

We will go DE in R1 owing to the fact that Wooten is trash and Peppers is our only consistent pass rush.
    I'm tired of taking Safeties who can't play.
    Darkness can only be lit, not fought.

Speaking of riddles . . .
    1) I am Irish, usually in the backyard, and come as a set . . .

2) I am so fragile I am broken once you say my name . . .
    Darkness can only be lit, not fought.

Thread is largely OBE, but a few quick responses:

1.) yes, the Qb from Central Michigan
    2.) yes, wolf went to N. Illinois. (All info from www.drafthistory.com Great website)
    3.) I specifically said "non-traditional powers" instead of "mid majors" or "small conference schools" specifically so I could include guys from Northwestern and Vandy, etc. Yes they are big conference schools. No, they are not ever any good.
    4.) and yeah, I'm an idiot about LSU. Didn't recognize the school name as simply "Louisiana State". Clearly they are traditionally a very competitive school.
    Tall, Dorky, and Ham-handed

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12