Is there a WR question in 2012?

Rethinking this issue:
    Miles and Dez are insane physical athletes and when both are healthy and used right, they should rip through defenses. Witten is essentially the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd WR in every game so the need to find a 3rd WR is not as urgent. So there is a luxury that Dallas can allow some of the talent to develop and not have to dump off the raw players (like they do at CB) in favor of experienced players.

So that leads to Andre Holmes. 6' 4" 200 and runs a 4.42. Looking at his Division II stats and taking them with a grain of salt, it seems that he is capable of being a reliable target. The number of yards (1300+) is okay but his 104 receptions in a season shows that he can be a workhorse. It is logical to think that he was the number 1 passing option on the team and the opposing defenses probably schemed to stop him.

All that to say that with Ogletree (if he makes the team), and then the development of Harris and Holmes, the WRs really do not need much attention. Aside from maybe a PR/KR type player, which would have to be better than Harris, the Cowboys can essentially just wait for UDFAs or be patient with the waiver wire.
    Mad Howling Mad

Yeah, I'd like to have get a new #2 TE before a new #3 WR. If the team believes it has truly upgraded the OL through FA acquisitions or that another OL pick somewhere in the draft will complete it, then Romo should have one of the best spread of targets in the league and the time necessary to exploit it. It's imperative that Austin and Bryant stay healthier this year, and it should be a huge benefit for Bryant to complete his first-ever full training camp. I would take a wideout only if he presents undeniable value at the slot.

If we spend another second round pick on an other tight end I'll be disappointed. We keep drafting role players with our high picks instead of starters and it has caught up to us (Fasano, Felix, Martellus, and recently Carter). Yet we continue to neglect the safety position and the interior of the offensive line. I say let John Phillips be your #2 and draft Oklahoma's Ryan Broyles in the 4th round. The third receiver is more valuable in the offense than the 2nd TE as history has shown that Crayton and Robinson were productive in their roles.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach Potatoe View Post
    If we spend another second round pick on an other tight end I'll be disappointed. We keep drafting role players with our high picks instead of starters and it has caught up to us (Fasano, Felix, Martellus, and recently Carter). Yet we continue to neglect the safety position and the interior of the offensive line.
    I've been preaching about this team has neglected the OL for years now. Can't that "role position" comment be applied to almost any position though? The team has had a lot of missed at DB too, but that doesn't mean we don't still need one, or that DB is a "role player". Just because Bennett was a bust for where he was drafted, doesn't mean there isn't a need for a TE/H-back hybrid who can run routes and catch the ball. The most neglected units over the past several years have been OL and DL. You're right -- we don't need to be targeting a TE in the 2nd round (or a WR).