Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LB/DE Shea McClellin

A little over 6'3" weighs around 257 and runs a 4.62. Extremely productive at either End or LB. Been watching a lot of his tape and the kid is very impressive. Extremely agile for his size ... may be a guy to consider either at SAM or End if we trade down a bit. Stock seems to be on the rise ... any thoughts on this kid in a trade down?

They seem to want a more athletic guy to be the SAM LB. Would have worked in the Carlos Emmons/Chris Gocong days but they've moved away from that. Part of the reason is with the way they call the rules now so that when the SLB tries to get physical with the TE they get flagged. And TEs are too athletic for a DE/LB tweener type to match up in coverage. Let McClellin go to a 3-4 team.

I'd much rather have Vinny Curry or Malik Jackson.

Quote Originally Posted by iggles nut View Post
    They seem to want a more athletic guy to be the SAM LB. Would have worked in the Carlos Emmons/Chris Gocong days but they've moved away from that. Part of the reason is with the way they call the rules now so that when the SLB tries to get physical with the TE they get flagged. And TEs are too athletic for a DE/LB tweener type to match up in coverage. Let McClellin go to a 3-4 team.
    Looking at this guy's Combine #'s he compares very favorably to the top OLB'ers in this draft ... despite being 20+ lbs heavier than most. Looked great in drills too changing directions. Trim him down 7-10 lbs and I think he could handle SAM easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Wings View Post
    I'd much rather have Vinny Curry or Malik Jackson.
    I am all over Currey as a DE. I think McClellin is more of a Hybrid, probably fits best as a 3-4 outside linebacker

Quote Originally Posted by Rey View Post
    Looking at this guy's Combine #'s he compares very favorably to the top OLB'ers in this draft ... despite being 20+ lbs heavier than most. Looked great in drills too changing directions. Trim him down 7-10 lbs and I think he could handle SAM easily.
    Honestly Rey, CHris Gocong looked much better in college and his attempt at OLB was a failure here....I'm over the Gocong experiment...so for me it's a no thanks.

GoCong was a 4.81 guy with DE type agility in the drills whom they forced at LB. McClellin is a 4.63 guy with LB agility in the drills. Check out the Shuttle and 3 cone on McClellin as compared to the other LB'ers at the Combine.

Big fan of Shea McClellin but I don't see him as a great fit here and we would have to spend a first round pick to get him. His stock has risen up to the late first. Having solid speed doesn't always translate to being a good cover guy, he's used to being an attack type of guy who goes after the QB, not exactly covering big fast TEs. He should go to a 3-4 team as a OLB and he will excel greatly.

I agree that speed alone doesn't translate to coverage ability, but he has great "agility" as well for his size. His backpedal and side to side movement was as good or better than most of the LBers I saw.

DELETED DUE TO DISRESPECT!

We do not speak that way on this board....Thank you.
    Last edited by Wings; 04-13-2012 at 02:47 AM.

Agree on McClellin as a SAM. Very good player. Not comnparing him to Gocong at all. If he's there at the 2nd pick in Rd 2, I'm down with that.

He will probably go late Round 1. Too high to be looking at DEs imo. No way I draft him to be the Sam backer in Round 1.

McClellin is expected right now to go late 1, early 2nd.

If the Eagles trade down and they want another DE... I could see them picking this guy late round 1. Fits the wide 9 at DE. High motor, fast and extremely agile. No way I put him at SLB though. Too valuable as a pass rusher.

I personally wouldnt go after a DE that high but I could see them absolutely loving his potential at DE in our D.

There is a new rumor out there that we are trying to get the Browns pick at 22 using both of our 2nd rounders as ammo.... If true, maybe this is who we are targeting. The Pack are supposed to be in love with this dude. Im sure the Pats are liking him too.
    Last edited by swat; 04-16-2012 at 08:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Augustus View Post
    DELETED DUE TO DISRESPECT!

We do not speak that way on this board....Thank you.
    You must be new here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast