Fat Camp: Understanding the Manning offense - Part 5

Ted Bartlett Apr 11, 2012 2:30 PM
    http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/bron...offense-part-5

The five-step passing game is the key element of any offense, because with a five-step drop, and its concomitant protection schemes, the QB can create the correct timing to threaten all levels of the defense. When a WR is asked to run a Dig route at 18 yards, thats an activity that takes around three seconds to execute.

When the QBs drop is five steps, or five and a hitch, the offensive line drops to deeper sets, and there will usually be a bonus protection player. The whole thing is coordinated together to provide the necessary timing.

Were going to cover five basic five-step concepts that well all get very used to seeing this season. IAOFM readers will know what theyre looking at, and you can feel really good about that. When youre done gloating about how much smarter you are than the average reader of Broncos Site X (or Y or Z, for that matter), tell an uninitiated friend or ten to check us out.

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/bron...offense-part-5
    It is the neglect of timely repair that makes rebuilding necessary.
    -Richard Whately

Ok - this is the most detailed explanation of professional offense (Manning style) I have ever seen - and the 5 step drop one made my head hurt like a wonderlic test.

Quote Originally Posted by Mingo View Post
    Ok - this is the most detailed explanation of professional offense (Manning style) I have ever seen - and the 5 step drop one made my head hurt like a wonderlic test.
    I've been getting into it, can't wait til the season starts.
    It is the neglect of timely repair that makes rebuilding necessary.
    -Richard Whately