Steelers resign Cotchery to a 2 year deal

That is good news as it gives us a solid veteran with Ward now retired. I believe we'll have Wallace back as well so our WR core should be very good again with Wallace, Brown, Sanders and Cotchery. I do expect us to add a WR at some point in the draft too. Bringing back Cotchery and adding Pope definitely sets us up better for the draft.
    "Once I start, they'll be no stopping me."

Didn't expect it to happend. Great news!

Perfect length, excellent signing.

I'd wager they'll still likely draft another WR, due to both Brown and Sanders coming up on RFA and the whole Wallace thing, but now they absolutely can wait until round 4 or later if they wish.
    "I'm like a hungry piranha with a capybara on it's period in the water..."

- westcoast

Agree with all the sentiments here. Love the signing. Didn't think we'd get him back. And I still see us going WR in the draft because of everything Thinny said along with Sanders' injury history. He's very solid when healthy, but he can't stay off the injury list.

Tremendous signing. As mentioned this gives us flexability going into the draft having locked up the #4 WR spot and Pope basically has the #2 spot (until Saunders comes back).

We're going to have Wallace for AT LEAST 2 more years regardless of him signing a long term deal. He'll play under the 1st round tender and then be franchised next year, if needed of course.

I personally think Sanders will be the odd man out long term UNLESS he plays in all 16 games and really blows up (ala Brown). He's flashed the potential but simply hasn't been healthy enough to warrant any serious long term commitment yet.
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Joseph Palmi: Let me ask you something... we Italians, we got our families, and we got the church; the Irish, they have the homeland, Jews their tradition; even the niggers, they got their music. What about you people, Mr. Wilson, what do you have?

Edward Wilson: The United States of America. The rest of you are just visiting.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    -George Orwell

I personally think Sanders will be the odd man out long term UNLESS he plays in all 16 games and really blows up (ala Brown). He's flashed the potential but simply hasn't been healthy enough to warrant any serious long term commitment yet.
    Unlikely the team can afford both Brown and Mike if both perform as they did last season. Sanders could wind up being pretty important, and cheaper to retain than whichever of the other two can't be afforded, come 2013.

Flat out...right now if Wallace were to never play a down for the Steelers again, the guy currently on the roster who is most able to replace what he brings to the offense is Sanders. People forget that he can totally fly when he's healthy.

He needs to focus on staying on the field and the rest of it will probably take care of itself. Running as the third WR this year, for a whole year, should do wonders for is development.
    Last edited by ThinMan; 04-11-2012 at 11:44 PM.

- westcoast

Quote Originally Posted by ThinMan View Post
    Unlikely the team can afford both Brown and Mike if both perform as they did last season. Sanders could wind up being pretty important, and cheaper to retain than whichever of the other two can't be afforded, come 2013.

Flat out...right now if Wallace were to never play a down for the Steelers again, the guy currently on the roster who is most able to replace what he brings to the offense is Sanders. People forget that he can totally fly when he's healthy.

He needs to focus on staying on the field and the rest of it will probably take care of itself. Running as the third WR this year, for a whole year, should do wonders for is development.
    I'm thinking that if Mike Wallace won't come off his high horse, he'll be forced to play on 1 year deals the next 2 seasons. Whether he likes it or not the Steelers control his destiny the next 2 years and i plan on him being here at least for those 2. Pittsburgh has NEVER paid huge money to a WR and won't start now. If we were talking Megatron or Fitz, i'd be singing a different tune.

However the key long term is Brown. I think he is the most complete WR on the roster. He's got elite speed, hands, already runs very good routes. If he were 2 or 3 inches taller he'd be the clear cut #1 by a country mile.

Sanders will be the cheapest to retain long term, even with an improved campaign. I think we can sign him to a 3 mil/per type deal over 4-5 seasons heading into 2013. Why? He's at best the #3 going into the season. He'll likely not see enough time to make a huge impact that will really drive up his price heading into RFA status. Thus, we sign Brown to a bigger deal, because he's the youngest of the trio and i think he will come at a far cheaper rate than what Wallace will command/wants.

I'd like to see Brown locked up with something like a 5 year 25-30 mil year contract. Wallace will play out his tender at a bargain rate. Next season he's either extended (Sanders would be the odd man out then) or he plays at a franchise level (9-10 mil). We still hold the cards. He's not going anywhere unless some team is dumb enough to cough up 2 first rounders (ain't happening).

Either way, we're going to have 2 of the 3, long term. We have to know at this point that keeping all 3 simply isn't feasable in a salary cap world.
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Joseph Palmi: Let me ask you something... we Italians, we got our families, and we got the church; the Irish, they have the homeland, Jews their tradition; even the niggers, they got their music. What about you people, Mr. Wilson, what do you have?

Edward Wilson: The United States of America. The rest of you are just visiting.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    -George Orwell

Actually, the Steelers have Wallace on the field for one year guaranteed. He has to play this year to become a UFA, so like I already mentioned, he will eventually sign that tender if they can't work something out. He isn't going to give up becoming a UFA.

Next year, however, if tagged he can elect to hold out the entire season if he so chose. Wouldn't effect him accruing UFA at that point. They'd still control him, of course, but he wouldn't have to play a single game if he wanted to sulk/be a dick while getting paid for it. Would he go that far? No idea, but there are no guarantees he wouldn't....so banking on him for 2013 for certain would be pretty poor planning. I'd wager the Steelers aren't banking on it.

And actually, if they can't come to a long term agreement before 2013 we've seen this song before: There's a decent chance that they won't franchise tag him and they'd just let him walk.

Either way, we're going to have 2 of the 3, long term. We have to know at this point that keeping all 3 simply isn't feasable in a salary cap world.
    No, it certainly isn't feasible to keep all three in today's NFL...and that is why it is very likely that Sanders is going to be one of the two kept, because he'll be the cheapest of the three. There is almost no way I can see them retaining Wallace AND Brown. One would have to take the mother of all "hometown discounts" and we already know Mike isn't going to do it, so that eliminates one of 'em.

As you mentioned, the Steelers have paid exactly one WR big money: Ward. They aren't going to give two guys big money two offseasons in a row(or in the same offseason, if Wallace winds up playing out '12 under the RFA tender). Probably almost guarantees that Sanders is going to be here a while, if he's healthy/continues to evolve. Signing Cotchery for a couple years lets them cushion the blow, regardless of who is ultimately lost, while also starting to groom the next crop of additions.

The longer the Wallace situation drags on without an extension the less likely he's here past 2012, IMO. Steelers don't typically franchise guys unless they REALLY think they are worth the tag money....and I'm not sure they feel that way about Mike(actually, I think they feel he probably isn't, but have no way of being sure about it).

Hell, franchising him next year will cost them around 10 million, IRRC. They may not even be able to afford to do it, as far as that goes. Cap situation for them isn't going to be a whole lot better next year either.
    Last edited by ThinMan; 04-12-2012 at 02:13 AM.

- westcoast

If the Steelers plan to eventually part ways with Wallace either this year or next, I would love to see them get something GOOD in return for him whether that means signing him to a long term deal and then trading him or franchising him next year and trading him. I know it's a pipe dream and will never happen, but I get sick of seeing the Steelers losing good players and then see the League screw them with a 7th round compensatory pick because they pick up some scrub that is supposed to be a wash. It sure would be nice to get at least a 1st day pick in return for losing a top tier player once in awhile.