LB Keith Rivers to Giants...

... for a 5th Round pick.

Breaking news. No link yet.
    Although it is said that our faith concerns matters which are obscure, the reasons for embracing the faith are not obscure but on the contrary are clearer than any natural light.
    -Descartes

Nice gamble for the Giants. Not sure what Cincy's motive is to give him away. salary maybe? Its not like Howard and Lawson are pro bowlers.
    "Governing doesn’t disappear when government shrinks; instead corporations come to govern your life — like HMO’s, oil companies, drug companies, agribusiness, and so on, with accountability only to maximizing profit, not to public needs." - George Lakoff

Lightbulb

Although it is said that our faith concerns matters which are obscure, the reasons for embracing the faith are not obscure but on the contrary are clearer than any natural light.
    -Descartes

Quote Originally Posted by Nastradamus View Post
    Nice gamble for the Giants. Not sure what Cincy's motive is to give him away. salary maybe? Its not like Howard and Lawson are pro bowlers.
    Missed all of last season (with a non-football injury no less), is a bit of "soft" player, only has a single year left on his contract @ $2.16 million.

Might as well get something for him while you can especially if he wasn't penciled in as a starter.

The part of this move that I don't understand is why the Giants want to shift Boley out of position to the middle.
    Last edited by ducky; 04-11-2012 at 06:25 PM.

I guess, but I can't imagine you get something better with the last pick of the 5th. I'd rather take a chance and see what a former first rounder can do for me. Not like they are fighting for cap space.
    "Governing doesn’t disappear when government shrinks; instead corporations come to govern your life — like HMO’s, oil companies, drug companies, agribusiness, and so on, with accountability only to maximizing profit, not to public needs." - George Lakoff

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by ducky View Post
    The part of this move that I don't understand is why the Giants want to shift Boley out of position to the middle.
    That part is speculation.

We don't know how the things are going to shake out yet. They move use Rivers as they used Jacquian Williams last season.

The Giants LB core definitely looks better suited to playing the pass, though... which makes some sense in that the NFL is increasingly becoming a passing league.
    -Descartes

Maybe, but Rivers is better v. the run than pass

Rivers for a 5th seems like a really reasonable price. I know he's just signed for one year, but that's almost better for the Giants given he's coming off an injury. If he doesn't pan out, no big deal - many/most 5th round picks don't last more than a year with the team they are drafted by. If he does pan out, you've got a talent way better than almost any 5th rounder you could draft. Of course you'll have to pay him more if he works out but I think it's worth the gamble.
    "I don't Twitter, I don't MyFace, I don't do any of those things, so I'd probably be the last to know."

- Bill Belichick on the social media exploits of Chad Ochocinco

This seems like a good move for both sides, provided the Giants don't move Boley inside. That would be a waste.

Quote Originally Posted by Gmaniac View Post
    That part is speculation.

We don't know how the things are going to shake out yet. They move use Rivers as they used Jacquian Williams last season.

The Giants LB core definitely looks better suited to playing the pass, though... which makes some sense in that the NFL is increasingly becoming a passing league.
    Jacquian Williams was really impressive for what he did as a rookie. He's a definite keeper and future starter. Key is, do they start Rivers-Boley-Kiwanuka, or is it Rivers-Boley-Williams? Rivers' strength is stopping the run, and he's a fast guy at that. We'll probably see a rotation of sorts. And Williams will always be a nickel and dime type LB either way. Dude was spying Vick last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Nastradamus View Post
    Howard was WAAAAY better than Rivers when he replaced him last year, and Rivers was clearly going to be his backup this year. Being a former Top 10 pick in the pre-rookie cap era, he was going to be a pretty expensive backup and a likely cap casualty. They got a low 5th round pick for a player they were probably going to release anyway.

It's a good low cost flier for a position of need for the Giants.
    Last edited by TrueNBlue; 04-12-2012 at 05:01 PM.
    “I spent a lot of money on booze, women, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.” -- George Best