Bears extend Briggs a year

Per ChicagoBears.com:

LM: #Bears have agreed to one-year contract extension with Pro Bowl LB Lance Briggs through 2014 season.
    I guess Lance isn't terribly upset with the organization anymore. I'm guessing Urlacher isn't far behind on his extension either. This will also likely piss Forte off even more.
    The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

so much for that trade request, huh?

as to your other point, Coach...
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ong-term-deal/
    Your Chicago Bears: still learning about this newfangled thing called the "forward pass."

Quote Originally Posted by thunderspirit View Post
    I saw that. We'll see where Matt's head is when the checks stop coming in and Michael Bush has his job.
    The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

this is a good perspective on Briggs, per Twitter:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Seifert
    Lance Briggs played every down for the #Bears last season. Best answer imaginable after team wouldn't re-do deal last summer.
    Your Chicago Bears: still learning about this newfangled thing called the "forward pass."

PFT has the numbers. Seems reasonable enough. I would have been content to make him honor the deal he signed, but I can see where they'd think it's worth it for locker-room peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Da Coach View Post
    I saw that. We'll see where Matt's head is when the checks stop coming in and Michael Bush has his job.
    Agreed. His statements mean nothing. It's easy to make a stand in April when there's no money on the line. A lot harder when you're passing on those fat checks in September.

If anything, this Briggs deal just adds to the long list of examples of the Bears being reasonable in rewarding their own players which makes it look more likely that Forte is the one being unreasonable.

Forte thinks he's worth top dollar. The Bears disagree.

Unfortunately for Forte, the Bears are perfectly within their rights to franchise tag him for two years. If he doesn't want the $7.7M, that's on him.

Does this save us any money in 2012? In other words, does it possibly help sign Forte (or another free agent)?
    Tall, Dorky, and Ham-handed

Quote Originally Posted by Bigwill View Post
    Forte thinks he's worth top dollar. The Bears disagree.

Unfortunately for Forte, the Bears are perfectly within their rights to franchise tag him for two years. If he doesn't want the $7.7M, that's on him.
    It certainly sounds like Forte is expecting Adrian Peterson money. If that is the case, it's absurd. He's not prime Adrian Peterson and never will be. Two Bear GM's appear to agree with that.

I don't remember offhand what the Bears were reportedly offering, but as I recall it was a little on the low side of reasonable. I hope that once the offseason programs get started they have a little more motivation to sit down and work something out.

As for Briggs, good on the Bears. They're working on a couple decades of doing a good job of taking care of their players like this.
    Superbowl.