Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Racism is in your mind...from Willie Bennet to George Zimmerman

There are many reasons for crimes and accidents.

Before Stuart was out of the hospital, the police dragnet found a suspect: William Bennett, 39, an unemployed black who had spent 13 years in prison for crimes that included shooting a police officer. According to the police, Bennett bragged to his 15-year-old nephew that he had robbed the Stuarts and taken their jewelry. In the warrant the police obtained to search Bennett's home, they underlined the recollection that Bennett said he told Stuart, ^ "Don't look in the rearview mirror." Those words were almost identical to the ones that Stuart, in a brief interview with the police right after the shooting, claimed the killer used. Already in custody on a charge of robbing a Brookline video store, Bennett was placed in a lineup as soon as Stuart was well enough to come to the station. Stuart picked out Bennett as a man who resembled the killer. With that, hope vanished that the police might look for flaws in Stuart's story...

earlier in the story

By identifying the killer of his seven-months-pregnant wife as a raspy- voiced black man dressed in a jogging suit, Stuart tapped into assumptions about race and crime so powerful that they overwhelmed skepticism about his tale. His fabrication raised the curtain on a drama in which the press and police, prosecutors, politicians and the public played out their parts as though they were following the script for the television movie that CBS will make about the case.

Instead of suspicion, Stuart was showered with sympathy. The media apotheosized the couple as starry-eyed lovers out of Camelot cut down by an urban savage. Some politicians attended Carol's funeral; others called for the death penalty. Mayor Raymond Flynn ordered all available detectives to work on the case. Hundreds of men in Mission Hill whose only connection to the case was that they were young and black were stopped and frisked.

The massive manhunt in all the wrong places tied up police for weeks. No one had time to look for cracks in the smooth facadeof the husband who tended his rhododendrons, jogged with his wife and shoveled snow off an elderly neighbor's steps. Few of the leads were followed that might have revealed a psychopath who had taken out large amounts of life insurance on his wife, possibly to finance the opening of a restaurant, a pathetic aspiration that shattered two families and a city's racial peace.

Stuart's story was made more believable by the media. First came broadcasts of the tape of his frantic call from his car phone to the police dispatcher as he fought off unconsciousness to summon aid for his dying wife. Then came videotape of the crime scene, recorded by a television crew that just happened to be traveling with emergency workers on the night of Oct. 23. Too gruesome to be broadcast in its entirety, it showed 30-year-old Carol Stuart, her head blasted open, her abdomen bulging, being pulled from the bloodstained front seat of the couple's Toyota.

Stuart's story gained even more credibility because of the severity of his wound. Though he apparently meant to shoot himself in the foot, he somehow ended up with a bullet in his abdomen. It was hard to imagine that anyone would inflict injuries so severe that he would need two operations, ten days in intensive care and six weeks in the hospital, that he would damage his bowels, gall bladder and liver merely to deflect suspicion from himself.

Stuart, 30, played the role of tragic victim with the boyish charm of a Ted Bundy, the dazed innocence of Dr. Jeffrey MacDonald. His farewell letter to his wife, composed in his bed at Boston City Hospital and read at the funeral by his best friend, was a tour de force of grief. "You have brought joy and kindness to every life you've touched. Now you sleep away from me. I will never again know the feeling of your hand in mine." Many at the crowded funeral at St. James Church in Medford, the very church where he had been married four years earlier, sobbed out loud. Among those who attended: Governor Michael Dukakis and the mayor. Lying in the hospital with tubes running in and out of his body, Stuart asked to hold his son Christopher one last time. Delivered two months prematurely by caesarean section, the baby died after 17 days. Every emotionally wrenching moment made the newspapers and nightly news.
    Read more: http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...#ixzz1reGFn1Uy
    I've got binders full of women
    and a one point plan.

The thing I remember the most about that was a sick joke I heard in school:

What's the difference between Stuart and Larry Bird?

One shoots before jumping and the other jumps before shooting.
    "I would not join any club that would have someone like me for a member." - Groucho Marx

So now you're not just posting unfollowable, incoherent posts, you're adding unfollowable, inchoherent articles...

I think it's time once again, Ray, for an Intervention.
    Gang Way!

Quote Originally Posted by Rear Admiral View Post
    So now you're not just posting unfollowable, incoherent posts, you're adding unfollowable, inchoherent articles...

I think it's time once again, Ray, for an Intervention.
    Are you having trouble understanding the point? The thread title is pretty self explanatory. Criminals commit crimes, violent situations happen. What if the paper doesn't give the race of the individuals? Do people presume some racial incident anyway?

Sorry if this is too abstract for you RA.

Some people made a big point that Zimmerman wasn't "white" (whatever that means). Why does that make a difference?

In Boston, a black suspect fit the description perfectly, even to some quotes he made. I'm guessing, being such a perfect match and having been identified in a lineup by the "victim", he would have likely been convicted.

There was even a serious move in liberal Massachusetts to re-institute the death penalty just for him. A neighborhood in Boston became an interrogation zone with privacy and constitutional protections against search thrown out the window with the approval of politicians and the populace alike, because this black killer was so vicious.

Except he never existed. How could an imaginary black man be so evil and powerful?

There's a link, you could look up Charles Stuart, or you could just say its too hard to follow, that's fine. Sometimes I give people too much credit.
    Last edited by RayClay; 04-11-2012 at 07:00 AM.
    and a one point plan.

Oh I remember that very well. The region was outraged over the killing of the pregnant mother. I was definitely one of them.
    Police were going door to door in black neighborhoods to find the criminal. All you said above was true.

And then it turned out her husband had killed her.

(and blamed it on a black thief)

Very instructive.
    Last edited by PatsFan2003; 04-11-2012 at 12:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RayClay View Post
    Are you having trouble understanding the point? The thread title is pretty self explanatory. Criminals commit crimes, violent situations happen. What if the paper doesn't give the race of the individuals? Do people presume some racial incident anyway?

Sorry if this is too abstract for you RA.

Some people made a big point that Zimmerman wasn't "white" (whatever that means). Why does that make a difference?In Boston, a black suspect fit the description perfectly, even to some quotes he made. I'm guessing, being such a perfect match and having been identified in a lineup by the "victim", he would have likely been convicted.

There was even a serious move in liberal Massachusetts to re-institute the death penalty just for him. A neighborhood in Boston became an interrogation zone with privacy and constitutional protections against search thrown out the window with the approval of politicians and the populace alike, because this black killer was so vicious.

Except he never existed. How could an imaginary black man be so evil and powerful?

There's a link, you could look up Charles Stuart, or you could just say its too hard to follow, that's fine. Sometimes I give people too much credit.
    Holy flippin' non-sequitors Batman!!!

When you whiff on a point you throw your bat into the cheap seats don't you?

It makes a difference because Jessie and Al and the Black Panthers would have a HELL of a lot less steam if the race was reported correctly. A large portion of the reason this picked up steam is because of the "racial injustice". "Oh here we go! Another white guy getting off scott free for gunning down a black child in cold blood!".

In fact, what is hysterical is that your article speaks more to my point about the media running with a story and it having wheels BECAUSE of the races supposedly involved. That is EXACTLY what I'm referring to. A hispanic man killing Treyvon wouldn't have been as much the story. But call him "white" (<--- Do you really need to have it explained why I'm putting "white" in quotes?), and whoah! National outrage!
    Last edited by Payton34; 04-11-2012 at 01:12 PM.
    "Yeah, everything that guy just said is Bullsh!t..... Thank you.." -Vincent LaGuardia Gambini-

Quote Originally Posted by Payton34 View Post

When you miss a point you throw your bat into the cheap seats don't you?
    Well, since it's my thread, I guess i know my point.

How about Tawawna Brawley, or the prosecutor in the Duke Lacrosse case?

She wrote racist slogans on herself thinking (rightfully) some people would believe her ridiculous story because they expected powerful white men could commit horrible (rape) acts and get away with it.

Or the prosecutor in the Duke Lacrosse case, so conscious of possible racism he didn't evaluate the complainant (pretty much a hard core insane criminal, she's in jail for murder currently) vs some naughty, but not criminal athletes.

Obviously, he wasn't supposed to favor them either and i don't think he was intentionally favoring one side.

He simply saw racist bullying because he was trying to be a do goodie in an area that's predominantly black, including a relatively high proportion of Professionals and business people.

Instead of seeing a psycho and evaluating the case, he only saw race. Once he overlooked her shaky story and overprosecuted the case because of the racial situation in his mind, it became a racial incident to others, but after all, they were only following the lead of the D. A.

There was racial language in the testimony, but that wasn't the case and the witness was not credible, to a competent D.A. without racism already in his mind (IMO).
    and a one point plan.

Media dishonesty and race hustlers

http://www.ocregister.com/opinion/bl...hite-year.html
    I promise I won't do it again

Quote Originally Posted by Payton34 View Post

When you whiff on a point you throw your bat into the cheap seats don't you?

It makes a difference because Jessie and Al and the Black Panthers would have a HELL of a lot less steam if the race was reported correctly. A large portion of the reason this picked up steam is because of the "racial injustice". "Oh here we go! Another white guy getting off scott free for gunning down a black child in cold blood!".

In fact, what is hysterical is that your article speaks more to my point about the media running with a story and it having wheels BECAUSE of the races supposedly involved. That is EXACTLY what I'm referring to. A hispanic man killing Treyvon wouldn't have been as much the story. But call him "white" (<--- Do you really need to have it explained why I'm putting "white" in quotes?), and whoah! National outrage!
    That's only one case. Sharpton and Jackson always have racism in their minds as my other examples suggest. I just provided a lot of information to that one because it was complicated and a lot of people aren't from the Boston area.

Are you saying everything is Oke dokee now because Zimmerman is part Hispanic? lol

Somebody got shot in cold blood. If people would concentrate on the facts instead of the racism (one way or the other) that is in their minds, it wouldn't be that complicated a case. their is lots of evidence here.

Sean Hannity is saying Zimmerman must be innocent because he used to tutor black people, therefore wasn't racist, therefore must have had a good reason to shoot him (self defense). This is the idiocy.

I don't care if Mother Theresa shot him, I don't care if she was black, white, or Indian. An unfortunate violent incident ended in death by shooting. Had the case proceeded based on just the facts (cronyism was a big factor IMO. Maybe due to racism, maybe not) I believe it could have been prosecuted and settled without the racial uproar. The delay in justice (either way) let the racism in people's minds ferment.

I personally believe that, had the victim been some white delinquent (orphan, runaway?) we could still have had Barney Fife and his police buddies shoving this under the rug because they misunderstood their obligations because of this stand your ground law. We'll never know now, though, because this kid had family and a lot of people have racism in their minds because of past incidents with Florida Police, no doubt.
    and a one point plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Raid View Post
    The media is only interested in selling ads. Provoking the racism already in people's minds is just a layup for them.
    and a one point plan.

How are the media dishonest in this case?

The media report the facts as they receive them. If the police identify a black suspect, then that's what's going to be reported because that's critical information, especially when you're seeking a suspect.

I understand media bias, but I can't see how it applies in the Stuart case. Maybe someone can help me.
    "Biologists must constantly keep in mind that what they see was not designed but rather evolved." - Francis Crick.

"For since the creation of the world, God's invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through what has been made, so that they are without excuse." - Romans 1:20

"It's one reason I hate reading what Tyke writes. It just annoys the hell out of me." - Big Pink Monkey

Quote Originally Posted by tyke1doe View Post
    How are the media dishonest in this case?

The media report the facts as they receive them. If the police identify a black suspect, then that's what's going to be reported because that's critical information, especially when you're seeking a suspect.

I understand media bias, but I can't see how it applies in the Stuart case. Maybe someone can help me.
    The media is interested in making money. That was a fantastic, horrible, but exciting story and the media was all over it.

I am not blaming the media for jumping on a sensational story. They are always dishonest in framing stories depending on their market. Add the element of racism (already in people's minds) and they can all buy new cars on that story. They were probably putting out special editions (old newspaper days) for the Stuart story.

Not sure who you're responding to, I haven't mentioned the media in this thread.

But let's speak about the media, Tyke. I think it's hilarious that this is a completely different story once the white Zimmerman became part Hispanic, yet the story was no different, someone was still dead and racism, if there was any, still existed.

The media writes a story and a story with racism and/or sex is the road to riches for them. lol at the media just collecting facts impartially.
    Last edited by RayClay; 04-11-2012 at 02:02 PM.
    and a one point plan.

Quote Originally Posted by RayClay View Post
    The media is interested in making money. That was a fantastic, horrible, but exciting story and the media was all over it.

I am not blaming the media for jumping on a sensational story. They are always dishonest in framing stories depending on their market. Add the element of racism (already in people's minds) and they can all buy new cars on that story. They were probably putting out special editions (old newspaper days) for the Stuart story.

Not sure who you're responding to, I haven't mentioned the media in this thread.
    Mine was a general response to whoever brought up the media.

Yes, I'm aware of the Stuart story. But the media was drawn into the story because of the level of interest the police department placed on the case. Also, because more homicides are committed by those known to the suspects, a story involving "innocent" people being assaulted (murdered) by some random suspect is more newsworthy.

What's the media supposed to do when the police are appealing to the public to find the victim? Not do the story?
    "Biologists must constantly keep in mind that what they see was not designed but rather evolved." - Francis Crick.

"For since the creation of the world, God's invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through what has been made, so that they are without excuse." - Romans 1:20

"It's one reason I hate reading what Tyke writes. It just annoys the hell out of me." - Big Pink Monkey

If we are going to consider a half hispanic to be white then can we claim a lot of middleweight belts as being won by whites?

Quote Originally Posted by tyke1doe View Post
    Mine was a general response to whoever brought up the media.

Yes, I'm aware of the Stuart story. But the media was drawn into the story because of the level of interest the police department placed on the case. Also, because more homicides are committed by those known to the suspects, a story involving "innocent" people being assaulted (murdered) by some random suspect is more newsworthy.

What's the media supposed to do when the police are appealing to the public to find the victim? Not do the story?
    I am agreeing with you on that, to a point. I think Raid brought up the editing job of NBC, making it appear, by deleting sentences in between, that Zimmerman offered that trayvon was black without being asked. that's despicable, but i attribute it more to looking for ratings than racism. Media is about ratings.
    and a one point plan.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast