Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Leyland clearly threw the game to make himself look good.

:)

Actually, I hope this shuts up all the idiots crying about Verlander being pulled in game 1.
    A Drinking Team with a Cycling Problem

Well, it's come down to a handful of games. We still don't know which team, the White Sox or the Tigers, really wants an early winter vacation more.

I thought it was the Tigers, but the Sox have really shown some resilience for not giving up the dream yet.

but hey, we have sole possession for the first time in a while. 7 to go, go tigs!
    "Governing doesn’t disappear when government shrinks; instead corporations come to govern your life — like HMO’s, oil companies, drug companies, agribusiness, and so on, with accountability only to maximizing profit, not to public needs." - George Lakoff

Up 2, crazy.
    "Governing doesn’t disappear when government shrinks; instead corporations come to govern your life — like HMO’s, oil companies, drug companies, agribusiness, and so on, with accountability only to maximizing profit, not to public needs." - George Lakoff

I know.

Where the hell did this sudden desire to get the job done come from?

So the magic number is now, what, 5?

down to 1 just like that. Better win tonight. Smyly is awesome though.

What the hell do they think they are doing?

They are going to ruin everything they've worked so hard to under-achieve.

It is absolutely crazy that Cabrera at this point looks like he very likely is going to win the triple crown and that some people still want to make the case that a guy from a team that isn't going to make the playoffs is the MVP over him.

Congrats tigers fans! I think you guys are dangerous team right now and could make a run in the playoffs. Good luck.
    Bleeding Purple since 1977

Quote Originally Posted by ducky View Post
    It is absolutely crazy that Cabrera at this point looks like he very likely is going to win the triple crown and that some people still want to make the case that a guy from a team that isn't going to make the playoffs is the MVP over him.
    I think Cabrera should get the MVP and I am really excited that he is moving towards winning the triple crown. However, to be fair, Trout's team does have a better record than the Tigers and would probably be in the playoffs had Trout been on the team all year. Again, I think Miggy deserves the MVP, but i don't think that is the best argument for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Nastradamus View Post
    I think Cabrera should get the MVP and I am really excited that he is moving towards winning the triple crown. However, to be fair, Trout's team does have a better record than the Tigers and would probably be in the playoffs had Trout been on the team all year. Again, I think Miggy deserves the MVP, but i don't think that is the best argument for him.
    The Angels only have a better record than the Tigers because they play in that cake walk of a division in the West. They don't have to go up against powerhouse opponents like the Twins, Indians and Royals 19 times a year. Not even sure if the Angels go 500 in this division and Trout probably doesn't even hit .300. ; )

Here I am trying to be nice and come into one of your team's boards and give a little support.....and you still have to call me out on my BS! C'mon man.

Are we including defense?

Love Miggy but Trout is my MVP.

Quote Originally Posted by seahawksfan837 View Post
    Are we including defense?

Love Miggy but Trout is my MVP.
    Are we including history? Because Cabrera is on the verge of a historical triple crown win. I would actually be upset if he isn't a unanimous MVP if/when he accomplishes that.

Trout has been great and all but we are talking about a triple crown winner. I can't imagine a scenerio where triple corwn winner wouldn't win the MVP.

Hell Cabrera could retire at the end of the season and this accomplishment (whether you want to consider it a meaningless statistical anomoly or not) just officially punched his ticket to Cooperstown despite never playing a game in his 30's.
    Last edited by ducky; 10-03-2012 at 01:55 PM.

Are we including history? Because Cabrera is on the verge of a historical triple crown win. I would actually be upset if he isn't a unanimous MVP if/when he accomplishes that.

Trout has been great and all but we are talking about a triple crown winner. I can't imagine a scenerio where triple corwn winner wouldn't win the MVP.

Hell Cabrera could retire at the end of the season and this accomplishment (whether you want to consider it a meaningless statistical anomoly or not) just officially punched his ticket to Cooperstown despite never playing a game in his 30's.
    No it doesn't include history IMO.

The MVP is the MVP. The most valuable player in the league. I can't see anyway you can say Miggy is more valuable than Trout, if we are including defense and baserunning. And the playoff argument doesn't hold much water when you consider the Angels have a better record in a better division.

I've always taken MVP to mean most valuable player to his team mixed with just general best player overall.

Both players are great but there is no way you can say Trout is more important to his team than Miggy IMO.

His defense and base runner (both outstanding) is mitigated by the fact that his replacement would have been outstading in those areas as well. Its not that hard to find good defensive CF's. And Miggy was actually solid at 3rd base...not gold glove by any means but he was about league average from what I understand (IMO you can't rate a guys defensive abilities off of stats....you have to watch him everyday so Tiger fans would be the ones to ask).

Miggy was 1st on his team in virtually ever single catagory there is (and 1st in that major in a lot of those catagroes as well). Trout was only 4th on his team in RBI's and didn't lead his team in extra base hits.

Look at just the %'s is really the big thing too. Miggy hit a remarkable 27% of his teams home runs, accounted for 16.3 % of his team total bases, 20% of the teams RBI's and 15% of their runs. Trout by comparison in those catagories 16%, 13%, 11% and 16.8%. The only area Trout beats him in there is runs and that is more because of where each batted in the lineup.

Trout is an absolute phenom. No question about it. Might not see a rookie season like that again for 25 years. But he wasn't more valuable to his team than Miggy was by any stretch of the imagination IMO.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast