Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by thelittlecheese View Post
    That's why we elect them. They pitch the laws they want to pass for their constituents during the campaign, they should know precisely what's in them. At the very least co-author or just have a lawyer proof-read/translate the intended law. The fact these congressmen can't answer questions about their own legislation is an absolute joke. If I were in Congress, I would stay up nights going over the bill and making sure I understood every part of it that I could. I expect from my representative the same dedication I would put in. I think a lot of these congressmen are shells, figureheads. One of these dolts is going to pass dangerous legislation that negatively effects a great number of people and not even realize what he's done.
    Do you know how a bill becomes a law? One congressman introducing a bill doesn't mean squat. It has to pass through both houses and the president to become a law...you know that right? The only "dolt" who can singlehandedly pass dangerous legislation is the President and thats after this dangerous piece of legislation has been reviewed by hundreds of representatives and probably been revised 100s of times. Even if the President doesn't like it and vetos the bill it can still be passed by 2/3 vote. A bill is normally changed hundreds of times by a large variety of individuals. Its rare that the original bill is not edited by anyone and quickly becomes law..that only usually happens during some sort of crisis.

I agree that any congress person should at least KNOW what is in the bill that they are co-sponsoring...sure bills can be long winded...but at least cover the particulars....
    "I would not join any club that would have someone like me for a member." - Groucho Marx

http://www.govtrack.us/blog/2011/08/...y-are-enacted/

Roughly between 7,000 - 9,000 bills are introduced each year....roughly 350-550 (3% - 5%) actually are enacted. My point is, that one dolt congressman isn't going to have much of an effect on a bill being passed. Also, there are probably a lot of "dolt" bills being thrown out there which don't get far at all in Congress. You are making it sound like every bill that is introduced is passed and not edited. If its an asinine bill its probably not going anywhere. It appears to me that its pretty darn hard for a bill to be passed, and as I mentioned earlier, almost all bills are edited hundereds of times throughout the voting process.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyped View Post
    I agree that any congress person should at least KNOW what is in the bill that they are co-sponsoring...sure bills can be long winded...but at least cover the particulars....
    I agree with that too. However, if the bill even has a chance at becoming law it will be read and changed numerous times. So, if the bill is totally bogus its not becoming a law. Its almost like TLC has no idea how a bill becomes a law. He's making it sound as if once its introduced its has a great chance of becoming a law...it doesn't.

If you don't like what is being introduced by your representative or how your representative votes on a bill...vote for another guy at re-election.

Congresscritters generally have staff that does most of the wonk work when it comes to formulating legislation. The staffer then will explain to the Congresscritter what is in the bill. A vetting process will then commence in which various subject matter experts, usually lobbyists, will weigh in on the legislation. Once it goes through that process it gets scored by the CBO or some other organization like that. Then its vote getting time and the bill is changed AGAIN in order to make key Congresscritters support it.

Part of the problem for the Congresscritters is that the bills many many many times from introduction to reconciliation. It would be impossible for a Congresscritter to know all the details about all the bills in the air at any given time.
    The trouble with the world today is the intelligent people are full of doubt and the dumb people are full of confidence - Charles Bukowski

I like that word, "Congresscritter"....
    "I would not join any club that would have someone like me for a member." - Groucho Marx

I like that word, "Congresscritter"....
    I thought I'd invented it, but BigFin set me straight three years ago...I was crushed, because I honestly thought I'd come up with something new.
    "You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." - Robin Williams

Congresscritter has been around a long time. I've used it for at least 10 years.
    The trouble with the world today is the intelligent people are full of doubt and the dumb people are full of confidence - Charles Bukowski

Quote Originally Posted by flyerhawk View Post
    Congresscritter has been around a long time. I've used it for at least 10 years.
    Didn't notice...then again I scan politico threads instead of read every word...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim in NYC View Post
    I thought I'd invented it, but BigFin set me straight three years ago...I was crushed, because I honestly thought I'd come up with something new.
    I felt the same way when I found out about Newton's law of gravity...prior to that I called it, "the everything drops and does so at the same speed law".

Quote Originally Posted by KRD227 View Post
    Do you know how a bill becomes a law? One congressman introducing a bill doesn't mean squat. It has to pass through both houses and the president to become a law...you know that right? The only "dolt" who can singlehandedly pass dangerous legislation is the President and thats after this dangerous piece of legislation has been reviewed by hundreds of representatives and probably been revised 100s of times. Even if the President doesn't like it and vetos the bill it can still be passed by 2/3 vote. A bill is normally changed hundreds of times by a large variety of individuals. Its rare that the original bill is not edited by anyone and quickly becomes law..that only usually happens during some sort of crisis.
    I know how the process goes. But when you sponsor a bill, even if it ends up distorted, you should know what's in it before you vote. If you don't like what's changed, then on principle you should withdraw your support. This is not rocket science. This is about creating laws that have a solid purpose.
    As defined by the Official Terrorism Training For Law Enforcement:
    What Is Domestic Terrorism?
    Extreme force and violence perpetrated by
    the people government of a country, within that country,
    for the purpose of coercing its government and population public
    into modifying its behavior"

You are either with Our Constitution or you are with The Terrorists!

Government...if it leans to the left it eventually means theft. - tlc

Quote Originally Posted by KRD227 View Post
    I agree with that too. However, if the bill even has a chance at becoming law it will be read and changed numerous times. So, if the bill is totally bogus its not becoming a law. Its almost like TLC has no idea how a bill becomes a law. He's making it sound as if once its introduced its has a great chance of becoming a law...it doesn't.

If you don't like what is being introduced by your representative or how your representative votes on a bill...vote for another guy at re-election.
    I should have been more clear that I was speaking solely on the issue of "drafting" the legislation. I never spoke about what the committees and other congressional pork rollers will do to it. I should have been more clear.

I want to respond to you that it's important the the original sponsor of the bill urge the other congressmen to stay on point and not betray the core principles of the new law.
    As defined by the Official Terrorism Training For Law Enforcement:
    What Is Domestic Terrorism?
    Extreme force and violence perpetrated by
    the people government of a country, within that country,
    for the purpose of coercing its government and population public
    into modifying its behavior"

You are either with Our Constitution or you are with The Terrorists!

Government...if it leans to the left it eventually means theft. - tlc

Man I wish I was 22 years old again ... back when I knew everything and figured the whole world had to know it.
    ----------------------

if you want to follow me you should know
    I was lost then and I'm lost now
    And I doubt I'll ever know which way to go

Quote Originally Posted by SinkLikeAStone View Post
    Man I wish I was 22 years old again ...
    And how many months ago was that?
    "You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." - Robin Williams

Quote Originally Posted by SinkLikeAStone View Post
    Man I wish I was 22 years old again ... back when I knew everything and figured the whole world had to know it.
    You were one of those douchebags, huh?

You were one of those douchebags, huh?
    Was any of us not? I'm still surprised my parents didn't murder me in my sleep.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast