Looking for an Example of a RETURN OF GREATNESS

Of the last time a QB went from a Pro Bowl Season to a bad season and then came back to Pro Bowl level (on the same team)? The subject at hand is Matt Cassel's decline in Kansas City.

2010 Cassel = 3000+ Yards, 27 TD, 7 TD - PRO BOWL SEASON
    2011 Cassel = 1700+ Yards 10 TD, 9 INT - injured at 9 games (5 losses)

n/m

i guess this year will be another chance to see if a different coordinator is the answer KCs offense needs.
    Gailey would've been great, but Haley fired him because he was too aggressive and the offense changed styles 3 times that year, the offense stunk in 2009.
    Weis was far better than Haley, so the offense was dramatically better in 2010.
    Haley back in control of the offense, and it stunk again.
    Last edited by IHT; 04-01-2012 at 11:07 PM.

I think a more on point question would be, "will Matt Cassel ever achieve greatness?"
    The world is a toll-free toilet
    Our mouths neurological ass0s
    And psychologically speaking
    We're in a state of mental diarrhea
    Talking sh*t a mile a minute
    Or in a state of constipated notions
    Can't think of nothin' but sh*t, and in this world of stinky futures
    Sh*tty memories and constipated 19 now-nows
    Emerges from the hiney of your head the doo doo chasers
    The Promentalsh*tbackwashpsychosisenemasquad
    Bringing you music to get your sh*t together by

Quote Originally Posted by dasher View Post
    Of the last time a QB went from a Pro Bowl Season to a bad season and then came back to Pro Bowl level (on the same team)? The subject at hand is Matt Cassel's decline in Kansas City.

2010 Cassel = 3000+ Yards, 27 TD, 7 TD - PRO BOWL SEASON
    2011 Cassel = 1700+ Yards 10 TD, 9 INT - injured at 9 games (5 losses)
    I'm sure that there are plenty of examples like these --

Joe Montana made the Pro Bowl in 1985, then threw eight TD passes and nine INTs in eight games and had an 80.7 rating in 1986. The next year, his rating was 102.1, and he made the Pro Bowl again.

John Elway made the Pro Bowl in 1981, then threw 10 TD passes and 17 INTs in 12 games and had a 65.7 rating in 1992. The next year, his rating was 92.8, and he led the league in passing yards and made the Pro Bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamJT13 View Post
    John Elway made the Pro Bowl in 1981
    One of the most impressive feats on his resume, in my opinion.

Apparently Matt Cassel needs an easy schedule + NE-style coaching (McDaniels, Weis) to come even close to anything that could be considered great. Let's just face it. The guy is another Scott Mitchell.

Quote Originally Posted by Shananahan View Post
    One of the most impressive feats on his resume, in my opinion.
    If I recall correctly, he is the only sophomore in college to ever make a Pro Bowl....iimpressive indeed.....
    My name is Mongo. I like to dance.....

Did you really just cite Matt Cassel as an example of greatness?

Eli had a pretty poor year in 2010 after a very good 2009 and prior to a great 2011. He had a 27/14 TD/INT and 7.9 YPA in 2009, then had a 31/25 TD/INT and 7.4 YPA in 2010, then followed that up with a 29/16 TD/INT and 8.4 YPA in 2011. He didn't dip anywhere near as badly as Cassel did from 2010 to 2011 though, and he's significantly more talented than Cassel (duh).

I do think Cassel will be better this year, if only because the Chiefs as a whole should get better. They'll have Charles and Moeaki back, the schedule should be easier, and I think the defense under RAC will continue to progress.
    "I don't Twitter, I don't MyFace, I don't do any of those things, so I'd probably be the last to know."

- Bill Belichick on the social media exploits of Chad Ochocinco

It was under when Eli's done in the past four years, but despite the high volume of picks he still had over 4,000 yards and 31 TD's. The entire Giants team in 2010 wasn't very good, plain and simple.

But at least on topic, I couldn't anoint Cassel that in any way. He was never great. If we're talking seasons where a player looks formidable and on the rise in one season then look like a total flop the next, sure.

Quote Originally Posted by StillSwinging View Post
    Apparently Matt Cassel needs an easy schedule + NE-style coaching (McDaniels, Weis) to come even close to anything that could be considered great
    or he just needs somewhat competent coaching from the OC, which Haley in '09, and Haley/Muir in '11 were not even close to good enough for a HS team.

**and i wouldn't call Cassel "greatness" either.
    he shouldn't be considered a "pro-bowler" any more than McNabb was. neither were voted to the pro-bowl, only made it there due to other QBs pulling out.

i think what dasher meant was a QB that had a good year (like Cassels 2010 season under Weis), followed by crap (again under Haleys control, like in '09), and back to a good year.
    Last edited by IHT; 04-02-2012 at 07:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mongo Freebase View Post
    If I recall correctly, he is the only sophomore in college to ever make a Pro Bowl....iimpressive indeed.....
    That's even better than Ray Lewis being credited for tackles when he didn't even play in a game.

Take a look at Big Bens career stats, he's a good example of coming back from "bad" seasons. 1st it was the Motorcycle accident, then it was the "Illegal Touching" penalties" and various injuries. Regardless, he's always bounced back to have a good year.