Which would you rather have happen?

Let's say you cheer for a team with national championship potential. Which would you rather have happen?

1. The team does great all year long, but then becomes the first #1 seed to lose to a16 seed in the big dance. Let's make it even worse, they get the #1 overall seed, and lose to the winner of a playin game.

2. The team underachieves all season, but wins the NIT.
    Cherish your children for who they are, not who you'd like them to be.

does #1 include a conference championship, or does it involve getting the #1 overall seed despite losing in the conference tourney, like Kentucky did this year?
    I don't have a signature. You're imagining reading this right now. You should really see a mental health professional about this.

Quote Originally Posted by SkinsDevil View Post
    does #1 include a conference championship, or does it involve getting the #1 overall seed despite losing in the conference tourney, like Kentucky did this year?
    your choice

After losing to a crap George Mason team, which is close enough to your scenario and having this situation play out for Uconn in 2010, I'll take the NIT year every time.
    Mac9, to the true warrior. the ultimate competitor and the most worth adversary any athlete has ever faced off against. He was an inspiration for both his on the field play, off the field contributions and his leadership. The world is now a worse place without him.

"Have the courage to have your wisdom regarded as stupidity" - Justice Antonin Scalia

"Just because you're the lone voice in the wilderness, it doesn't mean you're wrong."
    - Ghandi

Quote Originally Posted by AlexPKeaton View Post
    your choice
    The conference championship would be enough for me to go with the embarrassing loss in the 1st round. They both suck, but at least something good would come out of it.

I agree with SeahawksFan. I would want something to hang from the rafters. A conference championship would be enough.

And if the team we're talking about is the Duke Blue Devils, which i guess it would be for me, then i'd go with the embarassing loss regardless of if it included an ACC Championship or not. Duke hasn't missed the NCAA tournament under Coach K since 1983*, his third season on the job. That's a streak Duke fans are quite proud of, and i would rather keep the streak alive, even with a 16/1 loss, than win the NIT.

If the team in question is the USC Trojans, which has been relatively starved for basketball success but occassionally has a season with high expectations, my "i want something to hang from the rafters" argument applies. If we get a Pac Ten tournament championship banner, then i would want to be the #1 team losing to the #16. If we don't win the pac ten title, then i'd want the NIT tourney banner to hang.

* - Because I know that somebody will bring up 1995, when Duke missed the tournament. That year, The Blue Devils were 9-3 when Coach K went on Sabbatical and 4-15 afterwards under Pete Gaudet. One of the three losses under Coach K was even in the last game before the sabbatical, when Coach K was realizing he couldn't do his job to the level he expected of himself with his injury. Missing the tournament that year is not attributable to Coach K.
    Last edited by SkinsDevil; 04-02-2012 at 10:47 PM.
    I don't have a signature. You're imagining reading this right now. You should really see a mental health professional about this.

I'd rather take the NIT title. I wouldn't want the Terps to be the team that gets mentioned every single year when a 16 hangs around in the 2nd half...

And SD, Duke has been in 17 straight tournaments. No one outside of Duke cares about Coach K's sabbatical. If you're in you're in, if you're out you're out.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexPKeaton View Post
    And SD, Duke has been in 17 straight tournaments. No one outside of Duke cares about Coach K's sabbatical. If you're in you're in, if you're out you're out.
    Duke has not missed the NCAA tournament since 1995.

Duke has not missed the NCAA tournament under Coach K since 1983.

Notice that in my original post, i phrased the latter way.
    Last edited by SkinsDevil; 04-03-2012 at 02:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SkinsDevil View Post
    Duke has not missed the NCAA tournament since 1995.

Duke has not missed the NCAA tournament under Coach K since 1983.

Notice that in my original post, i phrased the latter way.
    Whatever dude. In is in, out is out. Duke has a 17 yr streak right now.