Angry Areas of the team that need improvement,not LB or QB

This will be a beauty is in the eyes of the beholder type thread w/o doubt b/c we all see things we like or don't like and possibly won't agree which is just fine b/c this is a discussion board.

For me trying to identify the positions still needing upgrades could be a typically long winded post. So I'll try to discuss just one area at a time.

The weakest area at present on the DC is at LB and there is a thread going for them. Until Flynn's addition there were two threads going both of epic length. So we can try to discuss other areas.

Reality is the Hawks haven't had much luck getting highlight reel WRs, those big play guys who bust open games and who can make the huge play to get the team back in a game, maybe they are here and it is the historical lack of a blue chip QB that prevents the WRs from breaking out, i.e. perhaps a genuine chicken rather than egg deal.

Of our present WR group of Rice, BMW, Baldwin, Tate, Butler, Obomanu, Durham, Lockette, Martin the is a nice combination of speed size big play ability and seemingly 3 who may not make the team. Will the team have the ability with the any of the three to by trade to acquire a pick to improve the depth or another area of the team?

Assuming we see a quantum improvement in QB play is the core of this group strong enough to win with? Who is at risk of not being kept? Which of them excluding Baldwin or Rice (only in his case for contract reasons) has any legit trade value or wouldn't hurt the team going forward by trading? Isn't it possible for this group to be materially improved by adding one big play guy, or is that guy here but as yet undeveloped?

Do you expect to see much turn over at WR?
    Last edited by jammer; 03-31-2012 at 03:03 PM.
    Seattle Seahawks, winners of SuperBowl XLVIII, what an amazing season!

Sorry didn't mean the angry emoticon in the caption thread and missed it with my marginal two finger limited typing skills. Now I can't edit it out.

Please add your other areas.

To me the OLine is still in need of quality depth as both OG positions remain suspect b/c of roster moves and injuries. When Carpenter returns this year it will most likely be at OG and while I liked what I saw from Moffitt during his rookie season until injured he wasn't exactly playing at a high level yet.

Statistically we did not have a very good OLine last year and our younger guys wound up all broken except for Unger.

Can the group we have there survive the year, is the depth good enough?

If we want Flynn to succeed we need to do much better at pass protection then we did last year.

A pass rushing DE that plays well under rotation.

More depth a RB and OL
    You can't be the best unless you can beat the best

As ever, short and succinct. Personally think the DE is our team's draft priority, but we will see. Which positions on the OL?

Clearly we may add at RB as well. LB is a given and understood area needing improvement as McGruff has said the depth there is like a a bag of stale donuts and flat diet coke.

Another area that seems to be the focus of some interest of the FO is TE and I think they had a vision of a 2 TE scheme before Carlson got injured last year.

I do agree that that plan will never come to fruition until the OLine become better at pass protection allowing Zach Miller to be used as a TE rather than an extra strong side OT.

Right now with this hybrid 4/3, elephant defense what ever you want to call it, our base defense ( when Big Red is in there) comes from only one person (Clemons). In theory this defense acts more like a 3/4. We need an outside LB that can get after the QB. We had hoped Curry would be the guy. This team needs a Chad Brown, JP type linebacker to help improve the pass rush on base defense. This would give us a pass rush from more then one position which would be a huge improvement.

On passing downs when we pull Big Red out and are running a more conventional 4/3 defense we need a pass rushing DE to compliment Clemons. If we get that combined with Jones at DT and that LB that I mentioned in the above sentence then we have the potential to be a top five defense.
    You can't be the best unless you can beat the best

We need another pass rushing DE.

We need depth at RB and TE.

We need quality at Guard and WR.

Our secondary could use some depth.

At CB or at S?

Who is gone from the pile at WR?

I think we need a quality starter at WR . . . either a 1 or a 2 . . . I don't know that we'll get one, but its certainly a need. I like Durham and Lockett as developmental guys, but OBO and BMW are what they are. Fringe players.

Depth is needed at both CB and S. I like our starters at S and our 4 deep at CB, but compeitition is needed for those second strong spots.

JMR is offline defender of the high life
    I like what we have at WR, hope we don't spend that #12 on Floyd. BMW should bounce back if Flynn will throw him the ball. Counting on Rice to make a full recovery.

The area of the team needing the most improvement is probably still pass rush. I don't know that there are any elite DEs in this class but we should be able to find someone who can help with outside rush from a base defense.
    U MAD BRO??

If Flynn is above average, you guys improve your o-line is pass protection, add a passrusher (legit) and maybe a couple decent backups here and there you guys are contenders.

I think the most important thing is obviously QB play and the passrush. That defense could be pretty scary. One of the better secondaries and excellent run stuffing personnel as well as a bit of passrush (just need that extra guy).
    "There were many ways of not burdening one's conscience, of shunning responsibility, looking away, keeping mum. When the unspeakable truth of the holocaust then became known at the end of the war, all too many of us claimed that they had not known anything about it or even suspected anything."

- Richard Von Weizsaecker

WR- I'm concerned some here because we have Rice coming off two shoulder surgeries and while he's a legit #1 WR, when healthy, I have no idea if that's the case right now and even if so then how long does he last this time. What scares me with this crew is what if he isn't?

Baldwin, Tate (potentially), and Obo are #3 WRs and we really don't have another guy that can play on the outside. I am not a big fan of the slow and methodical BMW. If he had any trade value he'd be the guy I'd send packing. Even if it's with a 7th for a 6th rounder. I'll take anything. Also, I'd expect Butler to get cut if everyone or even one less guy is coming back to camp.

These concerns are why although pass rushing DE is clearly my #1 need I wouldn't be opposed to Floyd (one alcohol related event is understandable but 3 by the time your 22 is incredibly alarming) or S.Hill. Especially if it came after trading back.

Guard - I'm worried about Guard and think DeCastro is in the mix in the context of this conversation. I have little doubt he's a plug and play stud. I'd side with other things because we were coming together at OL with the crew we had. I don't see that potential at DE or RB. Lockette is a huge wild card at WR. He's the guy where if they think they legitimately have something then we could see them not even touch WR in the draft.

RB - I do want another threat behind Lynch and since they seem reluctant to use Washington more, which I've wanted forever, we must draft one. It's not a big enough need to take one in the top 2 rounds though. There will be a few good ones that I like available in round 3 so that's when I'd start to target one.

Also interesting of the top few needs that most of us believe we have (RB, WR, OL, DE, & LB) the only position there where I haven't seen us bring someone in is WR. We even had a couple legit corners in and set up meetings with others that signed elsewhere but nothing at WR. Normally means the team is comfortable with that position.

On a related note we had ex Cardinal and USC alum, Guard - Deuce Lutui had a workout with the Hawks today. I read again today and remember this from last year his motivation has been questioned because he's come in out of shape. Couple sights believe he's a legit guard though when motivated so he could hurt our depth. Pete has proven that he might give the USC kids a shot but if they don't perform they'll get cut like anyone else.