Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Draft Thread #4

Yeah I still gotta put OL as a "glaring need" especially with a young QB as SW says.

OT is a need, but the bodies are there to ensure competition in camp and to also provide depth. By all accounts Jamaal Brown is recovering from his hip injury and I thought Willie Smith showed promise. I know nothing about the ex-Buc OT(James Lee) that they recently signed, but he has started in the league.

We may also see the skins looking to trade up into R2 or possibly adding a second 3rd rounder.
    ST forever

Quote Originally Posted by skinswin! View Post
    The protection of our franchise QB is glaring in my book. I don't care if he can run well, I don't want him running for his life.

If the signature part of our team going forward is our O-line, I can live with that. It worked for the Redskins of the 80s and 90's and got them three rings.
    Fixed that for ya :)

That you Kick,

You get the jest of my point.
    Daniel Snyder is a curse.

We can't afford to miss on our first pick in the 3rd round. Seriously. We have to do the most logical thing and to me the most logical thing is to address the O-line. The defense was more then decent last year that I think we can hold off untill the later rounds to add some defensive talent. That's just the way I see it.

We can't afford to miss on our first pick in the 3rd round. Seriously. We have to do the most logical thing and to me the most logical thing is to address the O-line. The defense was more then decent last year that I think we can hold off untill the later rounds to add some defensive talent. That's just the way I see it.
    I'm going to use Breed's favorite expression here by saying that the best way not to miss is to go BPA. You can't say they can't miss and then say they have to target a specific position because it may result in a reach. Now ideally, as I said, a good OL will be near the top of their board when they pick. But if they have 12 players ahead of the highest rated OL they can't simply draft the OL guy.

SW, I agree that the skins must find a player in the 3rd and addressing the OL would be a need, but the way you ensure that you hit on the 3rd rounder is to not reach to fill a need. Skins have to find the best combo of BPA and need, kind of like what they did last yr.
    ST forever

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck View Post
    SW, I agree that the skins must find a player in the 3rd and addressing the OL would be a need, but the way you ensure that you hit on the 3rd rounder is to not reach to fill a need. Skins have to find the best combo of BPA and need, kind of like what they did last yr.
    Dude I just said that. Come up with your own material.

you know, i may be wrong, but i think the best way to avoid a bust with our third rounder is to go BPA, not try to draft for need.

or has somebody made that point already?

I don't have a signature. You're imagining reading this right now. You should really see a mental health professional about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Davekn View Post
    Dude I just said that. Come up with your own material.
    yeah I saw that after I posted, I see my influence is getting through to you
    ST forever

I understand your point gentlemen. But I just don't agree.

I got back to my old saying, when your car needs a tire, you don't go buy the best windshield wiper. You get a tire.

Let me be more specific...When I say, "can't miss" I'm refering to picking the right lineman and him panning out. You can take a player ANYWHERE in the draft and as long as he pans out, that is all that matters.

We are not going to win any superbowls in the coming season. That's a fact. So...the only two things we have to do is:
    1. Protect our franchise QB from serious injury
    2. Make sure Griffin maturates nicely through the season.

And to do BOTH those things, Griffin has to be properly protected. So nothing else is important to me. I'm thinking in a 3 year window.

Chances are the BPA and OL might line up in the 3rd round. The BPA might be a QB and it wouldn't be in the Skins best interest to take a QB.

Yeah I agree Blaze which is why I keep saying that I hope an OL, preferably a RT, is near the top of their board. If they reach a few slots then I'm with SW. But you just can't pick a guy at 39 (or wherever the pick is) that you have rated at 51. That is no way to draft.

I understand your point gentlemen. But I just don't agree.

I got back to my old saying, when your car needs a tire, you don't go buy the best windshield wiper. You get a tire.
    The problem with that analogy is that all football teams always need new tires, wipers, oil changes, windshields, mufflers and brakes. Its a constant that needs pop up and get filled. Typically glaring needs get filled with free agents, like we did with Garcon and Morgan. What happens when you draft BPA consistently is that you end up with fewer gaping glaring needs, and you consistently have better young depth that can step in when a starter gets hurt or leaves via FA for another team. When you draft for need, you usually have to wait 2 or 3 years for that player to develop into a starter that truly fills the need and by then other needs have sprung up all over. When you draft for BPA, you have better quality depth all over and when a starter leaves you are more likely to have a quality replacement already waiting in the wings.

This is how the teams that consistently win and rarely rebuild do it. Teams like Pittsburgh, Baltimore, New England and the Giants. They (Giants) draft a DE (JPP) even when they have two quality starters already (Osi and Kiwi), with the understanding that they will still be able to use a great player even if he's not an immediate need. They ended up with an All Pro DE in JPP after both Osi and Kiwi missed time with injury. had they drafted for need tey would surely have passed on JPP at 15 overall two years ago, but now he's a total beast and they are stocked at DE. They can trade Osi or Kiwi or lose one to UFA and still be in great shape.

Draft for need and you miss those opportunities. BPA lets you take advantage of them.

drafting to fill position not BPA turned Adrian Peterson into Carlos Rogers for this franchise

Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast