Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2 round mock

Quote Originally Posted by ducky View Post
    They missed out on the really good QB prospects this year...why spend the 4th overall pick on a guy that you know probably isn't worth it??? Especially when you know for a fact that he is a guy that is likely going to have to redshirt his first year anyway. There isn't any reason to force the issue.

Use those 1st couple of picks in the draft this year to shore up the talent around the QB position and see what you have in McCoy. If he fails again, then go hard after a QB in next year's draft. It doesn't really change a lot of how everything works out. McCoy, no matter who they pick or when they pick them, is the starter in 2012 and a guy with little to no experience starts in 2013 (whether it be Tannehill or a QB they take in next year's draft) if McCoy fails.

I guess who would you rather be....a team like the Vikes, Jag's or Titan's who forced it in the draft and overdrafted pretty average QB prospects or a team like Washington who passed on taking those QB's last season, fixed their major holes on defense and then went all in on a really good QB prospect???
    While I strongly believe Cleveland will draft Richardson at #4, Tannehill still remains possible. GM's get fired for a number of reasons and after missing out on RG111, the owner may be in no mood to wait another season to find a QB.
    McCoy almost guarantees a stadium that won't be sold out which is another strong reason, GM's get fired. The average fan doesn't know draft picks and if you draft one, the average fan will buy tickets to see how he does, it gives them hope for the future and keeps them coming for another 2 or 3 seasons.
    You also have to factor in that Tannehill would start by game 8 if he has any talent and maybe sooner if McCoy isn't getting the job done.
    There is also no guarantee that Cleveland gets a franchise QB next season, improving the team could mean they win 6 or 7 games which could lead to drafting anywhere from #8 to #12 where the cost of moving up for a high pick will be even more expensive that what Washington paid this year.

Nice effort PV.

But honestly, if it turns out like that for the Pats... my TV may get thrown out the window.
    I wouldn't touch Jenkins with a 3rd round draft pick, much less a 1st.
    Randle in the first?

Actually, the rest of the picks were ok... but those two would really bother me. That being said, nothing would suprise me out of BB and Co. Frustrate me? Absolutely. Suprise? Not so much.
    Cherish your children for who they are, not who you'd like them to be.

I can understand not wanting to touch bad character guys, but not taking a guy who's a top 10 talent in the 3rd or even 2nd round is a bit ridiculous. Most of the Pats' 2nd and 3rd rounders end up being busts anyways. Better than another Butler/Wilhite I'd think.
    "Governing doesn’t disappear when government shrinks; instead corporations come to govern your life — like HMO’s, oil companies, drug companies, agribusiness, and so on, with accountability only to maximizing profit, not to public needs." - George Lakoff

Quote Originally Posted by Nastradamus View Post
    I can understand not wanting to touch bad character guys, but not taking a guy who's a top 10 talent in the 3rd or even 2nd round is a bit ridiculous. Most of the Pats' 2nd and 3rd rounders end up being busts anyways. Better than another Butler/Wilhite I'd think.
    I disagree. A guy like that can ruin chemistry as well. If you just suck (Butler/Wilhite), you just suck. But when off field issues start to become a part of the equation, bad stuff can start in the lockerroom.

JMO.

The way I look at it, the Ravens took a very similar player in the late 1st last year and so far it has worked out. BB also has ties to the UF program and tried to draft Harvin after a failed drug test a few years ago.

Being stupid doesn't really mean you are a bad character guy. I don't know whether Jenkins is a cancer or not, I tend to think not but that is clearly up for debate. Smoking some pot and having some kids is hardly serial killer territory.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexPKeaton View Post
    I disagree. A guy like that can ruin chemistry as well. If you just suck (Butler/Wilhite), you just suck. But when off field issues start to become a part of the equation, bad stuff can start in the lockerroom.

JMO.
    Has Jenkins ever been reported to have issues with his teammates? He smokes weed (so did/does Aaron Hernandez) and he got in a scuffle at a bar (happens to many college players). Have no sense that he is some sort of team cancer, Ryan Leaf type. So long as he can pay his child support and pass drug tests, I don't see any reason why he couldn't be a good contributor on and off the field.
    "I don't Twitter, I don't MyFace, I don't do any of those things, so I'd probably be the last to know."

- Bill Belichick on the social media exploits of Chad Ochocinco

Quote Originally Posted by ItIsWhatItIs View Post
    Has Jenkins ever been reported to have issues with his teammates? He smokes weed (so did/does Aaron Hernandez) and he got in a scuffle at a bar (happens to many college players). Have no sense that he is some sort of team cancer, Ryan Leaf type. So long as he can pay his child support and pass drug tests, I don't see any reason why he couldn't be a good contributor on and off the field.
    3 arrests, failed drug tests, multiple kids with multiple women...
    Exactly why should we believe that he will not continue to have problems?
    Seriously... in his entire adult life he's never shown the slightest level of maturity or responsibility. Why would I believe that NOW he'll be able to stay out of trouble? Especially since he'd have cash to spend...

I'm not saying it can't happen... but I think the likelyhood is pretty low. Definitely not worth risking a high draft pick.

Seriously... in his entire adult life he's never shown the slightest level of maturity or responsibility. Why would I believe that NOW he'll be able to stay out of trouble? Especially since he'd have cash to spend...

I'm not saying it can't happen... but I think the likelyhood is pretty low. Definitely not worth risking a high draft pick.
    Well, BB was trying to draft Harvin a few years ago and he took Hernandez plus Cunningham IIRC. He has connections to the Florida program, or at least did, not sure what the recent coaching changes did to that. Harvin and Hernandez had issues surrounding them.

http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci...cipline-issues

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoViking View Post
    having some kids is hardly serial killer territory.
    Lets not under estimate the problem....LOL

21 and 4 kids with 3 different women....Must be trying to be Cromartie...

No thanks I dont want any part of him.

We had this discussion in the Pats forum and APK and myself were in the minority but that doesent matter to me. I dont want someone like this on the team.
    Ignorance is those who disparage believers....12 They will come and shout for joy on the heights of Zion; they will rejoice in the bounty of the LORD—the grain, the new wine and the olive oil, the young of the flocks and herds. They will be like a well-watered garden, and they will sorrow no more.
    13 Then young women will dance and be glad, young men and old as well. I will turn their mourning into gladness; I will give them comfort and joy instead of sorrow.

According to nfl.com, JJenkins has admitted to several NFL teams that he continued to smoke pot at UNA, even after getting kicked off of the Gators team.
    http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000...P11_hot_topics

No thank you!

According to nfl.com, JJenkins has admitted to several NFL teams that he continued to smoke pot at UNA, even after getting kicked off of the Gators team.
    http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000...P11_hot_topics

No thank you!
    Who knows what the truth is.

"Certain teams told me they thought I would be a thuggish kid with baggy jeans or one of those wild guys," Jenkins said. "When they meet me, they see I'm not a bad kid. I just made some mistakes and everybody makes mistakes. The NFL is going to get a good person. Whoever gets me will get a competitor, somebody who works hard, a team player and a shutdown cornerback. Whoever skips over me, they're going to regret it now and later."

Jenkins added, "'I wasn't smoking marijuana at North Alabama. If anybody wants to know, they can give my coaches a call. I wasn't partying. They've been saying a lot of things about me that aren't true withuot getting my side of the story. It's been a humbling experience. I want to know why all of a sudden this is out there about me. Why didn't it come out after the combine when I was straightforward with the scouts? The timing is very interesting to me."

Jenkins has visited the Philadelphia Eagles, Indianapolis Colts and the St. Louis Rams.

Interesting stuff. Always seemed like an odd rumor to me. Not that he would have smoked pot while at NA so much, but that he would admit it pre-draft, unless he had to due to a test or something. I think someone may get a steal with Jenkins.
    "Governing doesn’t disappear when government shrinks; instead corporations come to govern your life — like HMO’s, oil companies, drug companies, agribusiness, and so on, with accountability only to maximizing profit, not to public needs." - George Lakoff

This is completely different than disrupting chemistry in a locker room fwiw. You think he's going to bust and be Pac MAn Jones or Aquib Talib, fine, so be it. He's going to affect the Patriots locker room all by himself? Come on man. Especially one that already includes 3 of his troubled former teammates.

A lot depends on the above post by PV too. Most of the bad character guys don't seem to be able to fake it from what I've seen. If he is showing up at his interviews and presenting himself professionally, while having stopped the drugs and the running with bad crowds, that is a very good sign IMO.
    Last edited by Nastradamus; 04-18-2012 at 10:59 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123