Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyboy View Post
    why am I watching path to the draft....they keep on talking about the vikes not taking kalil and taking Claiborne or Blackmon....now those are decent players, but they aren't elite. I could probably handle Blackmon being the pick....but I'll flip out if they take Claiborne.
    I would probably be the opposite. I think Claiborne is closer to elite than Blackmon, though I like Blackmon a ton and think Caliborne is not elite. But, if they stay at 3 and don't take Kalil, I will be pissed.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheeseland Vike View Post
    I would probably be the opposite. I think Claiborne is closer to elite than Blackmon, though I like Blackmon a ton and think Caliborne is not elite. But, if they stay at 3 and don't take Kalil, I will be pissed.
    i only say blackmon because of the effect that wr's have on today's game...elite corners do as well, but, imo, to less of a degree because of the rules that allow offenses to do pretty much whatever they want. Plus, if the vikes are serious about giving Ponder a tool, claiborne doesn't do that. If corner is in play, I would rather trade down and take Gilmore and get the extra picks....however, it would have to be a great offer to get me away from Kalil....
    Bleeding Purple since 1977

Quote Originally Posted by Cheeseland Vike View Post
    Well, I could make an argument that taking either of those guys over Kalil will be nowhere near as bad as taking Ponder over Fairley.

Quote Originally Posted by Go11 View Post
    When is the last time the Vikes had an elite Safety? Joey Browner? Sure would be nice to have someone back there that can actually hang on to an interception and at least give the strong QB's in this Division something to think about...

Go11
    Well, you're forgetting Robert Griffith - but for the most part, it seems like the best defenses over the past decade have had at least one really good safety.

Quote Originally Posted by Asgards Avenger View Post
    Well, you're forgetting Robert Griffith - but for the most part, it seems like the best defenses over the past decade have had at least one really good safety.
    I was going to say he was the last one we drafted...but he was undrafted.

The Vikes history of drafting DB's is just awful. In '83 we took Browner and later got a steal with Carl Lee in the 7th round (or something like that). Since then the number of DB's we have drafted that have worked out have been few and far between....although for whatever reason this team has never drafted a lot of early DB's.

I actually started making a list of all our DB selections since that '83 draft but I didn't want to post it after I was done because we already have enough to be depressed about. ; )

The Vikes should have taken Kerrigan and let Robson walk.They could have used that money on Hasselback or a veteran WR.

You mean Tyrell Johnson, Asher Allen, Marcus McCauley, Dustin Fox, Willie Offord, etc aren't any good???

They keep looking to pigeon hole DBs by athletic ability. That needs to stop. Plenty of DBs don't run a 4.4 flat but they can actually locate a football and read a play. Those things aren't important to the idiots that evaluate DBs for the Vikings, only size and speed.

Torian Gray and Orlando Thomas were OK.

Dewayne Washington was good for a short while.

How about this? Can anyone name the last Pro Bowl DBack we had? I cannot come up with one off the top of my head...

Go11

Winfield went to the pro bowl. Before that it was probably Griffith.

Yep, forgot about Winfield in 2009. Strange thing about that is Winfield made based on his tackling, fumble recovery for TD, not so much on pass D.

It actually would be pretty interesting if the Purple went Claiborne and Barron at the top of the draft. That would really change the culture of the Vikes D.

Go11

Didn't Sharper make it to the pro bowl that first year here??? I also think that Corey Chavous made it with us once as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Go11 View Post
    It actually would be pretty interesting if the Purple went Claiborne and Barron at the top of the draft. That would really change the culture of the Vikes D.

Go11
    The nice part of that is that at least we would be pretty much guaranteed to have a new coach and FO next season (now there is a culture change).

Guys like that will have a limited impact playing nothing but soft zones and I highly doubt Frazier is about to completely go away from his "system".

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoViking View Post
    You mean Tyrell Johnson, Asher Allen, Marcus McCauley, Dustin Fox, Willie Offord, etc aren't any good???

They keep looking to pigeon hole DBs by athletic ability. That needs to stop. Plenty of DBs don't run a 4.4 flat but they can actually locate a football and read a play. Those things aren't important to the idiots that evaluate DBs for the Vikings, only size and speed.

Torian Gray and Orlando Thomas were OK.

Dewayne Washington was good for a short while.
    torian gray was on his way to being darn near elite until he tore up his knee, and ended his career...it's a shame how forgotten he's become.
    Bleeding Purple since 1977

Quote Originally Posted by TeddyB View Post
    The more I look at it, I don't take a WR before round 4. You have to go Kalil, CB/S/LB in the next two because the WR's there at 2 just aren't that good....I guess you could take Sanu if there cause he's safe, but there should be a really good CB, LB or S.... WR is really deep this year as the 2nd rd guys = the 4th rd guys IMO.
    This is my line of thinking as well. It's not about DB/WR for 2nd/3rd, it's S/CB or CB/S.
    If the majority distributes among itself the things of a minority, it is evident that it will destroy the city. --Aristotle
    If we did all the things we are capable of, we would literally astound ourselves. - Thomas Edison

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12