3/28/12 - Mock Draft

This is what I'll label as the Best Player Available Draft. Pioli can easily man-the-field with starters next season. The Chiefs biggest weakness was depth and at Quarterback. I expect the Chiefs to trade down, espeically in the first round... but it's sort of lame and unconventional to predict how.

1. Melvin Ingram, SC, LB - Ingram will likely fall to 11 because of Scouts identifying him as a "tweener" . The same occurred with Shawne Merriman and Brian Urlacher and he turned out to be a multiple Pro Bowler. Ingram works best in space, and could be a MLB or OLB and would likely bring 7-10 sacks even as a subpackage player. His speed off the snap won't attract him to 4-3 teams, IMO.

Other Option : Stephon Gilmore, SC, CB

2. Kendall Reyes , UConn , DL - If Reyes doesn't get drafted by the Patriots, He could easily drop to Kansas City in the 2nd round. The 6'4, 299 lb DE/DT could be seen as a potential replacement for Tyson Jackson or Glenn Dorsey and could come in for subpackages.

Other Option : Amini Silatolu , G, Midwestern State

3. Casey Hayward, Vanderbilt, DB - Hayward might have been the 2nd Best DB in the SEC last season. He's a bit thin, but has the right measurements and mind to play against taller WRs. He could come in and find himself playing for the 3rd corner position with Brown, Arenas, and Carr.

4. Brandon Brooks, G, Miami (OH) - Brooks stock was hurt when he didn't receive an invitation to the combine. His Pro Day made up for it, however he could have been a 2nd round prospect had it turned out differently. With ZBS, there isn't that high of a need to draft a prospect higher than the 3rd or 4th round. It mostly involves intelligence as much as it does athleticism.

5. Trumaine Johnson, Montana, DB - Johnson is a project with high potential. In all likelyhood he'll need a year on the inactive list to understand the speed of the game. At 6'3 he could play a 3rd Safety or 3rd corner role to help the D face TEs. Although it's under the radar... the Chiefs are losing Jon McGraw, Sabbi Piscatelli, Rashard Langford, Bradnon Carr, and Travis Daniels. That's a pretty large laundry list for a secondary ranked highly last year.

6. Mike Brewster , C/G, Ohio State - Brewster has been dropping since mid-season. He struggled at the combine and had a medicore season. He is extremely smart and could potentially do well after sitting a year under Lilja.

7a. Jeremy Ebert, WR, Northwestern - Could be a slot WR the Chiefs need.

7b. Brad Smelley,FB, Alabama - The Chiefs need to find someone to block for Hillis. I expect them to try to find a fullback in this draft as Shane Bannon looks to be a special teams/bust type of player.

Biggest problem going into next offseason?

Quarterback ... After RGIII / Luck the QB Class starts to become extremely medicore.

Due to new rules, the Chiefs must sign Dwayne Bowe before July. But perhaps the ball is more in Bowe's court and he'll wait and see what happens in 2012.

Chiefs will likely Franchise-Tag Brandon Albert and risk losing Dosey or Jackson. This Draft also predicts that the Chiefs will sign a NT (Shaun Cody) based on Crennel's statements on the matter however that will take place AFTER the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by dasher View Post
    3. Casey Hayward, Vanderbilt, DB - Hayward might have been the 2nd Best DB in the SEC last season. He's a bit thin, but has the right measurements and mind to play against taller WRs. He could come in and find himself playing for the 3rd corner position with Brown, Arenas, and Carr.
    Did we sign Carr from Baltimore? I never saw that....just saw he was visiting.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate....some men you just can't reach

Webb didn't sign. Free Agency is likely dead until after the draft or during it.
    Most Agents know they can get a better deal during those 3 days as teams explore what players will fit where.

dasher,
    i think he meant chris carr, who also visited.
    and i think you meant Routt.

----

on the write up, i like the work put into it.
    i agree that we need some more depth at OG/DE, and need to do something at SSILB where Belcher sucks ass and we don't know what Siler can bring to the table. and, as always, DBs who can cover (i don't care if they're thin, if they can cover, that's their job, not look good in a swimsuit competition).

I think the worst fear I have for KC is that Berry,Charles, and Moeaki won't be 100% in their return &/or get re-injured in the process.

If you look at our losses.....

Buffalo = Bad game by Cassel, sloppy secondary, bad luck (turnovers by DexMex). Chiefs Offense was being played the same way that Baltimore beat them in the playoff game.

Lions = Bad game by Cassel, Charles gets injured , sloppy secondary w/ McGraw. Team felt jinxed.

San Diego = No first downs in the 1st half. Cassel can't play without an extra safety in the box. Bad O-Line Play.

Miami = Poor coaching by Haley. Bad game by Cassel, Defense looked sleep deprived on all ends
    Denver = Poor coaching by Haley. No real gameplan.

New England = 1st half prep was solid. We had them shut out until 4 minutes left in the 1st half. No adjustments. No.23 + DJ got owned in this game. This is one of the worst losses I've seen because the Chiefs weren't out of it at the Half. But they left the locker room like they were. They were down a TD and New England's secondary was beatable that night (a lucky INT from Arrington). No coaching.

Steelers = This was the game that turned out around the Defense. No confidence when they could have won the game. Palko lost this one. Haley should have put in Stanzi. The game could have been won but no one in the offense believed they could. Especially Bowe.

Jets = Again Haley didn't seem to care ... at all. The Defense carried the team. He just wanted to die. Lack of creativity in the playcalling. Offense didn't seem to give a F.

Oakland = First time all year that I saw both sides try to WIN and want to WIN at the end even thought we LOST. Give Orton some credit.

My vote for WORST play of the year.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/auto/09000...saves-the-game

doesn't matter.
    Last edited by IHT; 03-30-2012 at 03:45 PM.

not worth it.
    Last edited by IHT; 03-30-2012 at 03:45 PM.