Thread: Mendenhall

Mendenhall

I just seen on the NFL Networks Ticker that the Steelers expect Rashard Mendenhall to play this upcoming season. Anyone else see this? If they are reporting this Mendenhall must be ahead of schedule. Anyone here reports on how Mendenhall is progressing?

I saw it being reported elsewhere yesterday, yeah. Couple places. It was basically just Colbert clarifying what he said a few weeks ago, since a few sources had taken his quote and started the "Mendenhall's done in Pittsburgh" train rolling:

"What I said was I never think players coming off an ACL are 100 percent for a full year. It doesn't mean they can't play," Colbert told Pittsburgh reporters (via the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review) before the start of the NFL owners meetings. "At some point, we'll have Rashard back. I'm confident of that."
    What he didn't touch on was when he thought that was. So, in all probability he's still going to start the year on the PuP. Colbert really didn't say anything he hasn't been saying for months. He thinks Rashard will be back, but doesn't know when, and didn't make any kind of statement about the capacity he'd be used in when he does return.

He DID make it sounds as if they are more than comfortable rolling with the runners that they currently have though:

While Colbert couldn't say when Mendenhall will suit up again, he did give insight on who will replace him.

“With the young guys we have, we feel confident someone will emerge who can fill that role," Colbert said, via the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. "Somebody in the group of those guys will fill it out.”
    I still think they bring in another runner...of course it could just wind up being Mewelde Friggin' Moore again.
    Last edited by ThinMan; 03-28-2012 at 01:38 PM.
    "I'm like a hungry piranha with a capybara on it's period in the water..."

- westcoast

Quote Originally Posted by ThinMan
    I still think they bring in another runner...of course it could just wind up being Mewelde Friggin' Moore again.
    Using the term runner to describe Mewelde Friggin' Moore is just, just, just........
    It's like poking a bear with Downs-Syndrome...
    Thank you AZ. This made my freakin day!

Also seen the NFL is considering adding a new DL spot where you could put a player on it and he won't count as a spot on the roster. If the player ends up being able to play at some point during the season he can come back and play. Heard it was brought up because of the Manning situation last season where the Colts had to keep him on the Roster the whole season because they weren't sure if he could play or not at some point. They've only talked about it at this point, but I heard it's likely to get approved before this season. I'm sure they'll put Mendenhall on that.

Seriously, I think the Steelers proposed it. They could actually have a lottery to see if they place Hampton, Mendenhall, resign Starks and put him on it or wait for Leftwich to go down again this summer or Poncey's ankle to flair up. Then their Sanders and thank God Smith retired.

Quote Originally Posted by westcoast View Post
    Seriously, I think the Steelers proposed it. They could actually have a lottery to see if they place Hampton, Mendenhall, resign Starks and put him on it or wait for Leftwich to go down again this summer or Poncey's ankle to flair up. Then their Sanders and thank God Smith retired.
    I think it's going to be limited to 1 player from what I heard, but I wouldn't be surprised if they made it 2 players. I doubt it would be more then that because teams would abuse it. Really that's why I think they might keep it at 1 player.

Yea, doubt it would be more than 1, I forgot to mention Colon. Just being cynical but we sure have had our share over the last couple years. I know other teams get bit by the injury bug from time to time, be nice to go through this season fairly unscathed.