Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    The problem at RB like you said is we have so much unknown, inexperience. We've seen flashes at time from Dwyer before being hurt and Batch before being hurt but we don't know if that will turn into solid play this year and if they can stay healthy, which unfortunately seems to be a recurring theme with a number of positions coming into this year.

We have some bigger pounders in Redman, Clay and even Dwyer at 230lbs, but we really need that homerun threat we seem to lack and even if Mendenhall returns this year who is to say what he'll have left, if may not be till 2013 that he is affective again.

A guy like Pead or James would be great but question is how early do we go after a RB, these guys will go in 2nd or 3rd, pushing other needed positions like OL/DL/ILB down further in the draft depending on where we go RD 1. Question is, will there be a back in the middle rounds that could suit our needs.
    "Once I start, they'll be no stopping me."

In today:

BYU DT Hebron Fangupo
    Wayne State safety Jeremy Jones

Fangupo is interesting. Has the build/potential to work out nicely as a decent 2-down NG. May take a year or more to develop fully though and he's already older.
    "I'm like a hungry piranha with a capybara on it's period in the water..."

- westcoast

Quote Originally Posted by BIG STEEL View Post
    The problem at RB like you said is we have so much unknown, inexperience. We've seen flashes at time from Dwyer before being hurt and Batch before being hurt but we don't know if that will turn into solid play this year and if they can stay healthy, which unfortunately seems to be a recurring theme with a number of positions coming into this year.

We have some bigger pounders in Redman, Clay and even Dwyer at 230lbs, but we really need that homerun threat we seem to lack and even if Mendenhall returns this year who is to say what he'll have left, if may not be till 2013 that he is affective again.

A guy like Pead or James would be great but question is how early do we go after a RB, these guys will go in 2nd or 3rd, pushing other needed positions like OL/DL/ILB down further in the draft depending on where we go RD 1. Question is, will there be a back in the middle rounds that could suit our needs.
    My personal preference would be to wait and go after Ronnie Hillman later. Same sort of player....and in the end he may be better than either of the two backs mentioned at the pro level anyway(or at least their equal). Smith from Utah St. has similar qualities too, with a much lower draft grade than Pead/James. Much rather have Hillman in 5 or Smith in 6 than Pead/James in 2 or 3. Maybe it's just me.

I think we can pretty safely assume, unless it's a total smokescreen, that a speed back is some level of a priority to the coaches/FO. If we read the tea leaves, it sort of makes sense given Haley's offense/history: Edge/Hightower and Arrington in AZ(grinder and speedy, pass catcher guy), Jones and Charles in KC(grinder and speedy, pass catcher guy). Right now the Steelers have.....3 grinders, a PS guy, a kid coming off a major knee injury, and Mendenhall nursing a knee of his own. I think the interest in these guys is probably legit and a lot of it may be coming from the new OC.

Depending on if/how highly they take a RB in the upcoming draft may also tell us what they're feeling about Mendenhall long-term. They burn a top 3 pick on a runner, he's probably gone after the season for sure.

Something like this wouldn't upset me:

1. Hightower
    2. Best G available
    3. Mike Martin/Chapman if available(unlikely)
    4. BPA at OL/WR
    5. Hillman
    6. CB(or maybe QB)
    7. Depth guys at OLB, DL and a K in whatever order they wish to address them.

Or even this:

1. Glenn
    2. Kendricks
    3. Martin/Chapman if available(unlikely)
    4. BPA at OL/WR
    5. Hillman
    6. CB(or maybe QB)
    7. Depth guys at OLB, DL and a K in whatever order they wish to address them.
    Last edited by ThinMan; 04-13-2012 at 04:22 PM.

- westcoast

Yeah pretty much my thought if they go early on RB Mendy is as good as done. Again he won't much use this year due to surgery even if he does make it back.

I'd be fine with Hillman, Gray in middle rounds depending who is there and yes with Haley now here he'll want a speedy pass catcher in the mix. I am hoping Batch comes back 100% since I think he could be that 3rd down guy, but we'll see.

Fanguapo is definitely interesting, would add immediate depth, Very strong guy who can take on the blockers and open lanes but not likey to get into the backfield alot or chase anyone down.

Saw last night on ESPN WR Stephen Hill will be coming in for a visit but have seen nothing else on it.

Don't know much about Jones from Wayne St other than he was a CB who might project as a FS, though a bit undersized.

Quote Originally Posted by ThinMan View Post
    In today:

BYU DT Hebron Fangupo
    Wayne State safety Jeremy Jones

Fangupo is interesting. Has the build/potential to work out nicely as a decent 2-down NG. May take a year or more to develop fully though and he's already older.
    I like Hebro Fangupo, the Jewish Samoan Mormon. Dude played both 4-3 at USC and 3-4 at BYU. Played allot of DE and over the guard and center. Guy's a solid citizen, already married, kind of a Polamalu type although a little louder. Big strong and quick enough. Allot of people have him going in round 5 or 6, I wouldn't be upset if they took him in round 4. Only negative about him is his favorite team - Da Raiders. I'm sure he'll be won over by the true Nation, the Steeler Nation.

Andre Branch/OLB and Keshawn Martin/WR are in today....
    The Leafies are Scumbags.

Ed Bouchette
    4 #steelers visitors today: WR Keshawn Martin, TE Ladarius Green, LB Andre Branch, DT John Hughes

heh Steelers Trib said WR Keyshawn Johnson. I'm like awww hell no, not another one.

Martin is a speedy special teamer basically. Good returner, who could end up as a nice #4 WR.

Branch to me is a pass rush OLB in the 3-4, not really a good run stopper, likely a one trick poney, but very good pass rusher.

They are obviously tooking at TEs who are receivers with Egnew and Green, if either fall into middle rounds would be nice pickups, I like Egnew better.

Hughes is more of a 4-3 DT type, could be looking for depth, he should go undrafted.

Well Batch is back for another year at least he'll be in training camp. He signed a one year deal. Imagine that is for insurance in case Leftwich doesn't return and he's had interest from the Colts. Saw Ravens are looking at Dixon along with the Rams and Denver.

I like what I read about Ladarius Green. Seems like a potential match up player.

Green could be, he's just raaaaaaaaw. Unlikely he could contribute a lot in year one, but you never know.

They are obviously tooking at TEs who are receivers with Egnew and Green, if either fall into middle rounds would be nice pickups, I like Egnew better.
    Like Egnew better today....but in a couple years? Hard to say.

- westcoast

right on, Charlie is back.

K. Lewis, Mundy and Redman all signed the tenders.

Read we have an interest in Courtney Upshaw but basically name a number of teams with interest so take it for what it's worth.

Couple more visitors, T Mitchell Schwartz, California and WR Stephon Hill, Georgia Tech.

Both very good players, Hill likely a 1st rounder, with Wallace likely back and with Cotchery resigned not sure we need to go RD 1 after a WR, Hill would be great as a replacement for Wallace if we can't get him resigned and a bigger target.

Schwartz is a solid T who should go in the 3rd somewhere. Has starter quality though had some back problems in college.

Last day for visitors, I believe.

Poe in today. As well as....

Cincy TE Adrien Robinson
    SMU OL Kelvin Beachum
    Colorado WR Toney Clemons
    Arkansas WR Gregory Childs (*swoon*) :)

Given who is on their master list, it certainly looks like they're pretty interested in getting both a RB who is fast as hell and more of a move TE onto the roster.

- westcoast

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast