Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Near Duluth, MN
    Posts
    1,375

    Minneapolis City Council on board with stadium

    This, IMO, is a huge step forward for the stadium bill:

    http://www.startribune.com/politics/...144226125.html

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    18,707
    I think this was an inevitability. It really was just a pissing between the members of the council to see which one of them gets to score political points by opposing the stadium while at the same time knowing that there is enough support to make sure that it happens.

    ....now let's just hope they figure out the state's financial part of it quickly. I agree with a lot of the state political leaders that there is little chance of those electronic pull tabs covering the amount that they are saying they are going to cover. Sure wish these morons on both sides of the aisle would do what is right for the state by breaking up the Indian gaming monopoly once and for all and use those funds to help cover the cost of this (with enough left over for other things as well).

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    36,579
    I still doubt it passes because the turd Zellers doesn't want it to happen.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    18,707
    Boy this stadium thing is going downhill quickly.

    NFL now threatening a move...

    http://www.startribune.com/politics/...148022185.html

    It wouldn't surprise me in the least if this is what it looks like down at Winter Park the week after this season has ended:


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Woodbury, MN
    Posts
    6,772
    I feel for these politicians, their careers are likely over if they vote for a stadium and they are surely over if they let the team leave.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    The Big Muddy
    Posts
    18,061
    As a now resident of Minnestoa I can tell you this. If these MORONS let the team leave now, and then 5-10 years from now the rest of the MORONS around the state who oppose the stadium now but later change their minds, decide they want an expansion team ALA Cleveland for 3 times as much money, I will lead the NO protests at the capital. Freaking idiots in this state can't see the forest for the trees and how much an NFL team means to the image of a city and state alone, far less any other positive impacts. What a joke.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    The Big Muddy
    Posts
    18,061
    Quote Originally Posted by Platz View Post
    I feel for these politicians, their careers are likely over if they vote for a stadium and they are surely over if they let the team leave.
    That's why there should be term limits at every level of government and there should not be "career" politicians. Make the RIGHT choices, not the choices that get you re-elected.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    36,579
    Part of me believes they'll leave, the other part just sees a bluff by the NFL. I really have a hard time seeing the Packers, Lions, and Bears all making trips out the west coast routinely. Maybe they'll re-do the divisions again but its hard to see them remove a big part of the traditional NFC Norris. Money cures all, I guess.

    The politicians are douches, no doubt about it, and I REALLY don't think the committee of idiots thought this kind of backlash would happen. I think they mis-calculated the result of their vote a few days ago. I've also seen a number of people suggest that they only voted against it because other people didn't vote for it. Same old mental midget politician type of thinking....they only want to support things that will pass easily and have no opposition.

    Ultimately, I think the governor calls a special session and it gets an up/down vote in either Arden Hills or with a Hennepin County deal. I'm not sure it will pass even then.

    Its really just the anti-tax crazies putting ideology above all else all the time. Every other community finds a way to tax non-resident businesses (car rentals, hotel tax, etc) to pay for it but for some reason these d-bags think this is a horrific imposition that cannot even be contemplated. Its stupid all around.

    I also think Wilf should just man up and put an even $500M into it. Most of his contribution isn't even his money, its new money coming from the stadium. Naming rights and additional money make up most of the contribution.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    18,707
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheeseland Vike View Post
    Freaking idiots in this state can't see the forest for the trees and how much an NFL team means to the image of a city and state alone, far less any other positive impacts. What a joke.
    And the worst part of this is that it was the legislators from the MPLS area that killed this. The city, county and surrounding area stand to lose so much money if the Vikes leave. The economic impact of the SB being held in MPLS in the future if the Vikes do build a new stadium is almost justification for the investment alone.

    ....but you are right about the term limits. This is a decision that is being made by legislators not on what is best for the state but rather what is best for their reelection campaign. But in that regard we only have the voters to blame.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Woodbury, MN
    Posts
    6,772
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheeseland Vike View Post
    That's why there should be term limits at every level of government and there should not be "career" politicians. Make the RIGHT choices, not the choices that get you re-elected.
    No argument from me.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Twin Cities
    Posts
    2,835
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychoViking View Post
    Part of me believes they'll leave, the other part just sees a bluff by the NFL. I really have a hard time seeing the Packers, Lions, and Bears all making trips out the west coast routinely. Maybe they'll re-do the divisions again but its hard to see them remove a big part of the traditional NFC Norris. Money cures all, I guess....
    The NFC West already does this, in reverse, with StL having to go out to play SF, AZ and SEA. Simply swap the LA Vikings with StL and the travel problem is fixed.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Richfield, MN
    Posts
    19,756
    It sounds like the major reason this was scuttled was that no one wanted to vote for gambling... allegedly our treatment centers are already full.
    If the majority distributes among itself the things of a minority, it is evident that it will destroy the city. --Aristotle
    If we did all the things we are capable of, we would literally astound ourselves. - Thomas Edison

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    36,579
    Quote Originally Posted by Vin Lombardi View Post
    It sounds like the major reason this was scuttled was that no one wanted to vote for gambling... allegedly our treatment centers are already full.
    If that is the reason then we should just get down the business of banning everything.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Central MN
    Posts
    4,124
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheeseland Vike View Post
    As a now resident of Minnestoa I can tell you this. If these MORONS let the team leave now, and then 5-10 years from now the rest of the MORONS around the state who oppose the stadium now but later change their minds, decide they want an expansion team ALA Cleveland for 3 times as much money, I will lead the NO protests at the capital. Freaking idiots in this state can't see the forest for the trees and how much an NFL team means to the image of a city and state alone, far less any other positive impacts. What a joke.
    I'll join you CV, there's no reason to chase after another NFL team if these idiots let the one they already have leave.
    FIRE CHILDRESS NOW!!!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    18,707
    Quote Originally Posted by Cougar-00 View Post
    I'll join you CV, there's no reason to chase after another NFL team if these idiots let the one they already have leave.
    Screw chasing one....this state flat out doesn't deserve an NFL franchise if it can't get this worked out. They've known this was a must for over a decade now and they still can't get it done.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  






Fantasy Football Rankings


Part of USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties.