Previous Draft Classes

I know there are a few people besides myself that like to "mock draft" and such, so I was wondering if anyone had their sights set on a player that we did not draft but was available. I.E. I really wanted Patrick Robinson over Best although I am Robinson has not lived up to his potential yet.

It's draft time and although I like what we have done in free agency, it hasn't exactly been exciting for us. We desperately needed some new threads.

I'll admit that I thought the Pettigrew pick was bad. I was hoping for either DT Peria Jerry or MLB Rey Maualuga at that spot.

Jerry was hurt in preseason or TC that year and hasn't done much of anything since. I think Maualuga has been pretty good in Cincy, but I don't think he's had the impact that Pettigrew has had. Apart from the sometimes maddening drops, Pettigrew has been a very good TE.

Other than that, I'm not sure there's been a lot of players that I've set my sights on as "must haves". I enjoy looking at mock drafts and formulating my opinions as to whether they address the Lions needs or not, but I know my limitations when it comes to judging a player's talents to the point of truly questioning why the Lions would pick another player over that guy.

Now, the previous regime? The biggest head scratcher for me was probably either...
    1) spurning MLB's like David Harris and Paul Posluzny to trade out of the 2nd, only to trade back up into the 2nd for Drew Stanton.
    2) drafting Jordan Dizon over, well, just about anyone in the 2nd round.
    "Let's eat Grandma!"..."Let's eat, Grandma!"
    Punctuation saves lives.

The heavens declare Your glory - X Structure at the Core of Whirlpool Galaxy

Quote Originally Posted by FamineGod View Post
    I'll admit that I thought the Pettigrew pick was bad. I was hoping for either DT Peria Jerry or MLB Rey Maualuga at that spot.

Jerry was hurt in preseason or TC that year and hasn't done much of anything since. I think Maualuga has been pretty good in Cincy, but I don't think he's had the impact that Pettigrew has had. Apart from the sometimes maddening drops, Pettigrew has been a very good TE.

Other than that, I'm not sure there's been a lot of players that I've set my sights on as "must haves". I enjoy looking at mock drafts and formulating my opinions as to whether they address the Lions needs or not, but I know my limitations when it comes to judging a player's talents to the point of truly questioning why the Lions would pick another player over that guy.

Now, the previous regime? The biggest head scratcher for me was probably either...
    1) spurning MLB's like David Harris and Paul Posluzny to trade out of the 2nd, only to trade back up into the 2nd for Drew Stanton.
    Scouting and or drafting is the one part of the NFL where I actually think any number of us fans could perform as well if not better than the so called experts. Most of the time these guys are about as accurate as the weather man. A matter of fact, I would be willing to bet that if an NFL team took 15 educated college and pro football fans, and polled every pick that you would end up with a better draft then most teams get now. Egos!

The previous regime has all types of head scratchers and you pointed out a couple of great ones. I have stated before that it alwasy frustrates me when we let our own local college tallent escape our state come draft time. David Harris, TJ Lang, Blair White were all bargain guys.

A few names that come to my mind with this regime are....
    1. Drafting Best (I went off over this pick) over Robinson as mentioned and or sticking with our original pick and getting Angerer.
    2. Big fan of Bowman when we drafted Spievey.
    3. Hated the wr out of Penn State although I don't remember who I would of drafted.

Nas has stated some tackles in the past he liked. I think Veldheer?

I liked Maluega or however you spell that over Oher, and would have taken both over Pettigrew. Although I was never really upset by that pick, it just wasn't the one I would have made.

Previous regime though had quite a few. I actually liked Stanton, but LOVED Pozluzney and was pretty ecstatic when he fell to our pick despite being projected to go higher. Derrick Johnson was one of my favorite prospects of all time, especially since we were a Tampa2 team at the time. Definitely wanted him over Mike Williams, but again wasn't upset over that pick, just wasn't the way I would have gone, and thought "BMW" was actually gonna be a good pick for us. The one pick that I really didn't like and never understood was Ernie Sims over almost anybody else, especially because I thought Chad Greenway was a better player at the same position.

Quote Originally Posted by FamineGod View Post

A small addition to #1, I preferred Woodley. Not that I would have minded the 2 you mentioned.
    "Governing doesn’t disappear when government shrinks; instead corporations come to govern your life — like HMO’s, oil companies, drug companies, agribusiness, and so on, with accountability only to maximizing profit, not to public needs." - George Lakoff

Stop it!!

Bringing up anything to do with Matt Millen just irritates the piss out of me.

:(

I used to travel alot. One year, I brought my wife down to Ft. Worth. I took her to the stockyards. After which we were supposed to go to Del Frisco's. Del Frisco's may just be the best restaurant in the US. The steaks are out of this world, and they have the best Australian Lobster tails I've EVER HAD.

So we're walking in the stockyards and she says to me -- "Let's have spit-roasted pig instead"

Matt Millen is kinda like that.
    Last edited by lionfan; 03-29-2012 at 10:17 PM.
    "Government is like a baby. An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other."

Ronald Wilson Reagan