Page 9 of 37 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by KEROUAC View Post
    QUESTION:

Since it now appears more than likely that Barron will be snapped up by either the Cowboys at 14, Eagles at 15, or Jets at 16....WOULD YOU TRADE #27 AND #48 TO THE CARDS FOR #13 AND PICK BARRON?...

Tempting thought, and very doable since the Cards need players and don't have a 2nd rounder. It matches up fairly well with the draft value chart -- #13 is 1150pts, #27 & #48 are 1100pts.

(I'm really uncomfortable with the Harrison Smith at #27 talk I've been hearing.)
    That makes a crap load of sense.

QUESTION:

Since it now appears more than likely that Barron will be snapped up by either the Cowboys at 14, Eagles at 15, or Jets at 16....WOULD YOU TRADE #27 AND #48 TO THE CARDS FOR #13 AND PICK BARRON?...

Tempting thought, and very doable since the Cards need players and don't have a 2nd rounder. It matches up fairly well with the draft value chart -- #13 is 1150pts, #27 & #48 are 1100pts.

(I'm really uncomfortable with the Harrison Smith at #27 talk I've been hearing.)
    Would love that....
    Ignorance is those who disparage believers....12 They will come and shout for joy on the heights of Zion; they will rejoice in the bounty of the LORD—the grain, the new wine and the olive oil, the young of the flocks and herds. They will be like a well-watered garden, and they will sorrow no more.
    13 Then young women will dance and be glad, young men and old as well. I will turn their mourning into gladness; I will give them comfort and joy instead of sorrow.

It wouldn't be a "TV out the window" moment for me or anything, but I still have a hard time seeing Barron as the type of prospect that's worth making a move like that for. As I've said before I like him and I think he'll have a good NFL career, but I think it'll be more as a solid dependable player than an elite playmaker. I know it's a thin class at the position and Barron's a good prospect, but I think if you're giving up a premium pick, it should be for a premium player, and I'm not convinced that's Barron.

Put another way, I think Barron and Smith are close enough that I'd much rather have the latter and whoever they can get at #48, than just the former.
    "My life is not easy, but it's awesome." - Steve Gleason

Quote Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
    Put another way, I think Barron and Smith are close enough that I'd much rather have the latter and whoever they can get at #48, than just the former.
    Understood, but I would rather trade up and get a player who is going to contribute now than trade the picks into next year...LOL

Plus I think Barron is going to be a really good safety...
    Ignorance is those who disparage believers....12 They will come and shout for joy on the heights of Zion; they will rejoice in the bounty of the LORD—the grain, the new wine and the olive oil, the young of the flocks and herds. They will be like a well-watered garden, and they will sorrow no more.
    13 Then young women will dance and be glad, young men and old as well. I will turn their mourning into gladness; I will give them comfort and joy instead of sorrow.

No, I don't want them to trade into next year, either (thought I expect them to at some point)...bottom line, though, if they agree with you, APK, et al, that Barron will be elite, then it's a good move. And I'll be happy to have underestimated him.
    "My life is not easy, but it's awesome." - Steve Gleason

Not sure if I'd be psyched if we traded 27 and 48 for Barron at 13, but I do think he'll be a very good player in the NFL and a good fit for the Pats. Like Chung, he's a do-it-all safety which would give the defense a great deal of flexibility. If we got him and Dowling stays healthy, our defensive backfield would immediately become a strength, imo.

We could still trade down from 31, pick up something in the mid rounds or next year and grab an OLB/DE like McClellin, Branch or Vinny Curry in the late 30s or early 40s. I just don't think there's a Seymour type to be had in this draft. Brockers has potential, but isn't there yet. And Cox may be a little light for 3-4 DE. (I will admit I'm increasingly intrigued by Worthy.)

Imagine the following scenario:

-Trade 27 & 48 to Cards to pick Barron at 13, solidifying the all-important safety spot (and killing any chance the Jets get him at 16 in the process).

-Trade down 8-10 spots at 31 -- picking up a 3rd this year or a 2nd next year -- and drafting McClellin, C.Jones, Branch or Curry at 40 or so. (One should be available there.)

-Pick Jared Crick at 63. Tough, scheme diverse D-Line help. Rotation guy, not a stud, but a football player who will contribute.

-Pick a WR prospect and an interior OL to groom in the 3rd round, assuming we'd pick up an additional 3rd by trading down at 31. Let's say Nick Toon and Michael Brewster for the sake of argument.

-Pick up BPA in 4th.

I'd be very happy with this draft as we'd get help on all three levels of D, as well as a WR and OL to groom for a year or two.

QUESTION:

I'd make that trade all day long. I think there is a huge difference between Barron and all the other safeties this year.
    Cherish your children for who they are, not who you'd like them to be.

We could still trade down from 31, pick up something in the mid rounds or next year and grab an OLB/DE like McClellin, Branch or Vinny Curry in the late 30s or early 40s.
    +1
    Cherish your children for who they are, not who you'd like them to be.

I would not. Barron is not a game-changing safety. He's not a Polamalu or even a Jairus Byrd. We are all jaded by the horrid safety play of 2011, but you don't need a star there - you just need a guy who is capable. Barron being much better than other safeties in this class says more about the overall lack of depth at the position than about Barron's abilities. He's a really nice player, one who I'd be happy with at 27 or especially 31, but I'm not packaging multiple top 50 picks to get a safety unless he's going to compete for an All Pro spot.
    "I don't Twitter, I don't MyFace, I don't do any of those things, so I'd probably be the last to know."

- Bill Belichick on the social media exploits of Chad Ochocinco

Absolutely no way I would make that trade. Being the best safety in a horrid safety class doesn't justify going #13, especially when you're giving up multiple top 50 picks to move up there to get him. I'd rather roll with Chung / Gregory than give up that much to get Barron.
    God - An imaginary friend for grown-ups.

Quote Originally Posted by ItIsWhatItIs View Post
    I would not. Barron is not a game-changing safety. He's not a Polamalu or even a Jairus Byrd. We are all jaded by the horrid safety play of 2011, but you don't need a star there - you just need a guy who is capable. Barron being much better than other safeties in this class says more about the overall lack of depth at the position than about Barron's abilities. He's a really nice player, one who I'd be happy with at 27 or especially 31, but I'm not packaging multiple top 50 picks to get a safety unless he's going to compete for an All Pro spot.
    I agree. Ive never understood the talk of him as a top 15-20 pick. Definitely would not trade up for him.

He's not the ballhawk, big play safety that would warrant such a pick. Reed in his prime, Polamalu, hell even Eric Berry.

He's a downhill safety, that has some awareness in coverage, but doesn't have the standout physical tools to be a big playmaker in coverage. He's not going to match up on tight ends or wideouts in man coverage and lock them down. He's not going to cover a ton of territory to break plays up down the field. He's going to be very good at making plays in front of him, and he'll make the occasional play in coverage. Definitely something you want in your secondary. But not worth two first rounders, or a top 15 pick IMO.

If we're trading both picks to move up, go get the pass rusher. Coples, Ingram ... Personally, I think Perry is a top 20 pick. I know his value is a bit lower most likely, but dont know why. Talent, production, work ethic ... Nobody is a lock for stardom, but there's nothing to suggest he busts.

I don't disagree with you guys. Fact is I don't really know how he compares to an Eric Berry or Earl Thomas, but now that people have reviewed his tape more thoroughly and he's recovered from hernia injury, he seems to be shooting up draft boards. Could very well just be need-based and the fact that it's a down year for safeties, but it could be that he's just a damn good player. Don't really know. We'll find out.

Give me George Iloka in the 2nd or 3rd over Barron in the 1st any day. If we're going to trade up I hope it's for Dre Kirkpatrick.
    I'm tryin' to explain to you that Ronald Reagan was the devil. Ronald Wilson Reagan? Each of his names has six letters? 6-6-6? Man, doesn't that offend you?

-Huey Freeman

Barron reminds me a lot of the late Sean Taylor.

FWIW, internet messageboard rumblings .... Josh McDaniels is in Waco this week (home of Baylor) scouting out Kendall Wright?

http://cowboyszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234144
    “I spent a lot of money on booze, women, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.” -- George Best

Page 9 of 37 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast