Tom Brady restructures contract

New England Patriots QB Tom Brady restructured his contract to create $7.2 million in salary cap room, a league source confirmed. Brady's four-year, $72 million contract was restructured last week as he reduced his base salary from $5.75 million and scheduled $6 million roster bonus to a fully guaranteed $950,000 for 2012 as the Patriots gave him a $10.8 million bonus. The $6 million roster bonus and the remaining $4.8 million were combined to come up with the bonus amount. The salary cap figure for 2012 is now $8 million, down from $15.2 million.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/gnews.php?id=776...#ixzz1prRBtId6

Do you think this extra $ will go to lock up some of the players we have or do you think we have a big name player in mind to bring in?

Probably going to sign Welker....

There are no more big name FA's left...
    Ignorance is those who disparage believers....12 They will come and shout for joy on the heights of Zion; they will rejoice in the bounty of the LORD—the grain, the new wine and the olive oil, the young of the flocks and herds. They will be like a well-watered garden, and they will sorrow no more.
    13 Then young women will dance and be glad, young men and old as well. I will turn their mourning into gladness; I will give them comfort and joy instead of sorrow.

I think Gronk and Hernandez....
    "I would not join any club that would have someone like me for a member." - Groucho Marx

Does not have to be a FA they could make a trade. Never know what the Pats will do. Also, I would consider Micheal Bush somewhat of a big name.

I would love it if they locked down Gronk and Hernandez!!

Quote Originally Posted by Run_stuffer View Post
    Does not have to be a FA they could make a trade. Never know what the Pats will do. Also, I would consider Micheal Bush somewhat of a big name.
    Bush to the Bears. 4 years / $14 million.
    God - An imaginary friend for grown-ups.

Welker is already counting 9.5M against the cap. No need for a restructure to sign him

This gives the Pats about 11.5 in cap space. All of which can be carried over though. I don't think this was done for any particular move. Probably just to give them flexibility going forward.

But not all high priced FA have signed. Mike Wallace is still out there....

Quote Originally Posted by Fantomex View Post
    Bush to the Bears. 4 years / $14 million.
    LOL was this before or after my post?

Quote Originally Posted by hendersonsplow View Post

But not all high priced FA have signed. Mike Wallace is still out there....
    No interest at all...He already said he want Fitzgerald money...On top of a 1st rounder...No thanks..
    Ignorance is those who disparage believers....12 They will come and shout for joy on the heights of Zion; they will rejoice in the bounty of the LORD—the grain, the new wine and the olive oil, the young of the flocks and herds. They will be like a well-watered garden, and they will sorrow no more.
    13 Then young women will dance and be glad, young men and old as well. I will turn their mourning into gladness; I will give them comfort and joy instead of sorrow.

Signing Welker would likely lower their cap hit. If Light retires, Bedard says the Pats would save $5MM on him as well. Plenty of space to be creative.
    "I don't Twitter, I don't MyFace, I don't do any of those things, so I'd probably be the last to know."

- Bill Belichick on the social media exploits of Chad Ochocinco

No interest in Wallace either.

Pats were pretty tight against the cap with only around 4M before the restructure. Still need to pay the draft picks plus they usually like to go into the season with a little room to make a move or two if necessary.

Isn't it obvious? They obviously pushed the cap hit into next year because Brady told them he's retiring after this year so he can spend more time with his kids, banging Giselle, and not getting hurt all the time.
    "I will punch you." - Wounded Bear

This is certainly puzzling . Welker signing would lower cap room so that's not it. My hope is Gronk extension can't have both TE expire same year. Or dream world Lardarius Webb RFA CB.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    REx's prediction in 2011

1. Jets will win division FAIL
    2. Jets beat the Patriots FAIL
    3. Jets will beat Giants FAIL
    4. Jets will win AFC FAIL
    5. Jets will win the SB FAIL
    6. Ravens will beat Pats FAIL

Light retiring will free up another $4.5M. Signing Welker to a long-term deal should free up cap space in Year 1. Restructuring or releasing Ochocinco should free up cap space or both, restructure first to lower base and add incentives, but if he doesn't earn roster spot then possibly release post June-1.

Patriots have looked to the trade market in the past. Some teams are right up against the cap too.

There are some players still available in free agency that could help us, like Yeremiah Bell, who has been pretty durable and was a defensive captain for the Dolphins. If you pay $3 million a year for Steve Gregory, would you offer similar to Bell?

Other free agents like Luis Castillo is frequently injured so hard to pay a lot over a long period to a player that rarely makes it through the season.

A big trade with Indy for Dwight Freeney? Bring back Dan Koppen or Andre Carter?

Extend our own players early: Chung? Gronkowski? Vollmer? Hernandez?

Since all unused cap space can be rolled forward it just means we can do anything we want.