Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Skins got off on this one... unless we get a fine for having the "hit stick."

Quote Originally Posted by skinswin! View Post
    I knew the penalties would be harsh. They have been preping us for the last couple of days.
    But I don't agree with the penalties in any way, shape or form. There have been bounties BY ALL TEAMS but the term "bounty" is used in this case by the NFL. The Saints had no more illegal hits then any other team in the NFL.

The Defense's job is to intimidate by pain. That's has been the essence of defense in football since the inception. As long as the hits are legal, I don't care how hard the hits are. It's the teams O-line job to protect their QB adequetely. If they don't their QB pays the price. And that's just the harsh reality of real football.

James Washington of the Dallas Cowboys in 1991 was known as "drive by" for the hits he was putting on wide recievers. He was the leader of the Cowboys "bounty" program too. But it was under another name.

My point is, this is part of football in all teams. Defense hit hard to intimidate or put you out the game if they can. Weather there is a bounty or not. We all know that when a defensive player puts out an offensive player, there is a little something extra in their lockerroom when they go back at the end of the game.

Roger Goodall is destroying what the essence of the game is about. He is repeatedly taking away any aspect of defense that he can. And this is just his latest move.

Did you know that he also is trying to take away from grabbing the back of Quarterbacks coller when you tackle them? When a pass rusher is pushed past the QB, he now won't be allowed to reach out and grab the back coller.

This is just another example of Goodall destroying the game.

Weather you like it or not, it's a game that's essece is violence. And there are going to be injuries. It's the nature of the game. It is what it is.

The NFL is going too far.
    well said SW
    ST forever

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by murphskin View Post
    If I understand it correctly, the cover-up (e.g., lying to investigators) is what made the penalties so harsh.
    Yep.

Not only that, but apparently the league warned the Saints about this... and the owner of the Saints went to Loomis/Payton/Williams at that time and made it clear that they had to clean up their act. But Loomis/Payton/Williams continued with the Bounty program anyways.

Considering all the facts:

- A paper trail 3 years long (including bounties against prominent names like Kurt Warner, Brett Farve, Cam Newton, etc.)
    - The fact that the Saints were warned but Payton et al. ignored the warning
    - The attempted cover-up, lying to league investigators, etc.

I'm surprised so many of you think the penalty was excessive.
    Although it is said that our faith concerns matters which are obscure, the reasons for embracing the faith are not obscure but on the contrary are clearer than any natural light.
    -Descartes

Quote Originally Posted by Gmaniac View Post
    Yep.

Not only that, but apparently the league warned the Saints about this... and the owner of the Saints went to Loomis/Payton/Williams at that time and made it clear that they had to clean up their act. But Loomis/Payton/Williams continued with the Bounty program anyways.

Considering all the facts:

- A paper trail 3 years long (including bounties against prominent names like Kurt Warner, Brett Farve, Cam Newton, etc.)
    - The fact that the Saints were warned but Payton et al. ignored the warning
    - The attempted cover-up, lying to league investigators, etc.

I'm surprised so many of you think the penalty was excessive.
    I don't think it went too far. The NFL's response on the matter is very illustrative of a Saints organization that apparently thought it was above punishment.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12