Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkItAZero! View Post
    You'll see this upheld as well as a major assault on firearms before his term ends in 2016.
    The paranoia that the right has in regard to gun rights is absolutely mind blowing. It is not centered in reality whatsoever. But reality has never been a barrier to that group.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be."
    -Kurt Vonnegut "Mother Night"

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoViking View Post
    Can you imagine the cluster**** in Congress if they struck the mandate down? Congress would have to immediately pass significant changes to health care law...........yeah, that'll be easy.

Which means you can't get passed now... not with a GOP House. :)
    [I]"It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." ___ Samuel Adams "Father of the American Revolution"

"Originally Posted by JackBauer"
    I'm still waiting to see the Democrats running on a platform of reduced federal spending.

Quote Originally Posted by Fandango View Post
    I never said there was one, but if governmental mandates to buy a producet are illegal for this, then they have to be illegal for everything in my mind.

Car insurance is a State mandate.
    [I]"It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." ___ Samuel Adams "Father of the American Revolution"

I'm still waiting to see the Democrats running on a platform of reduced federal spending.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenKelly View Post
    Car insurance is a State mandate.
    Try to keep up GK, everyone knows that already . We are talking about the concept of governmental mandates in totality right now, and I only hope that if this mandate is struck down that all governmental mandates are struck down.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be."

Quote Originally Posted by flyerhawk View Post
    Apparently the ABA did a survey of a bunch of lawyers on whether they thought the SCOTUS would overturn ACA. 85% of the respondents believe the court will uphold the case.

http://www.tnr.com/blog/jonathan-coh...a-survey-lopez

Now there's a shocker.

Any answers for emtala? That's an unfunded federal mandate that costs hospitals, insurance, employers, and employees a massive amount of money.
    The consistent factor of all of your dissatisfying relationships and failures is you.

R.W. 09.21.10 I love you.

FTR I wouldn't be surprised one bit if the individual mandate portion of the ACA was overturned, the court has gone hard right (based upon politics) for years, and this would just be a continuation of that trend.

Quote Originally Posted by Superbelt View Post
    Any answers for emtala? That's an unfunded federal mandate that costs hospitals, insurance, employers, and employees a massive amount of money.
    There are 5 choices that I can think of off the top of my head:

1) Keep it and everyone shrugs their shoulders like the last 30 years.
    2) Let the hospitals writeoff all costs associated with the mandate
    3) Re-pass some version of Obamacare with a taxation scheme instead of a mandate/fine
    and the two unlikely ones:
    4) Repeal the mandate and turn away people
    5) Pass some sort of Hillarycare
    If the majority distributes among itself the things of a minority, it is evident that it will destroy the city. --Aristotle
    If we did all the things we are capable of, we would literally astound ourselves. - Thomas Edison

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoViking View Post
    Can you imagine the cluster**** in Congress if they struck the mandate down? Congress would have to immediately pass significant changes to health care law...........yeah, that'll be easy.
    Or more appropriately, both sides come up with their solution and the voters decide in November.
    If the majority distributes among itself the things of a minority, it is evident that it will destroy the city. --Aristotle
    If we did all the things we are capable of, we would literally astound ourselves. - Thomas Edison

It would be best if we could just go single payer, that is why my support for the ACA has always been conditional at best.

FTR I wouldn't be surprised one bit if the individual mandate portion of the ACA was overturned, the court has gone hard right (based upon politics) for years, and this would just be a continuation of that trend.
    Actually, the SC should decide whether the law is constitutional. Constitutionality knows no right or left.
    "I like my women the way I like my scotch, 20 years old and mix up in coke."

Try to keep up GK, everyone knows that already . We are talking about the concept of governmental mandates in totality right now, and I only hope that if this mandate is struck down that all governmental mandates are struck down.
    A few differences. If you choose not to drive, you don't have to buy car insurance. Just by living in the US, you must buy health insurance. If you don't buy car insurance and still drive, it's a penalty administered by the courts, not a tax administered by the IRS.

I predict the mandate get struck. The Commerce Clause has never been used to force citizens to purchase a product when they otherwise might choose not to. The same system under the Tax and Spend Clause would almost certainly be Constitutional. I don't think SCOTUS will be too keen on a vast expansion of the Commerce Clause simply because it's politically untenable to call a "tax" a "tax."
    "I just threw away a lifetime of guilt-free sex and floor seats for every sporting event in Madison Square Garden, so please, a little respect, for I am Costanza, lord of the idiots!"

They might think better of it and still punt the issue until 2014, when the mandate actually takes effect.

It should be a losing battle though, as both Scalia and Roberts have voted / been on record as supporting this type of commerce clause use.

Wickard & Raich decisions. We'll see if they are consistent in their past.
    I think the govt should force you to buy sterilization so you don't breed. And throw on top of that anything else they want you to buy, like a GM car, because, you know, they 'said so'. Just a few steps away from Hugo Chavez/state sponsored everything.
    As defined by the Official Terrorism Training For Law Enforcement:
    What Is Domestic Terrorism?
    Extreme force and violence perpetrated by
    the people government of a country, within that country,
    for the purpose of coercing its government and population public
    into modifying its behavior"

You are either with Our Constitution or you are with The Terrorists!

Government...if it leans to the left it eventually means theft. - tlc

I am sterilized. Thanks though. Two kids was enough for me.
    The consistent factor of all of your dissatisfying relationships and failures is you.

R.W. 09.21.10 I love you.

I am sterilized. Thanks though. Two kids was enough for me.
    There's two more of you??? OMG! The world is DOOMED! :P
    As defined by the Official Terrorism Training For Law Enforcement:
    What Is Domestic Terrorism?
    Extreme force and violence perpetrated by
    the people government of a country, within that country,
    for the purpose of coercing its government and population public
    into modifying its behavior"

You are either with Our Constitution or you are with The Terrorists!

Government...if it leans to the left it eventually means theft. - tlc

Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast