Schefter: Donte Stallworth a patriot

Schefter just reported this:

The Patriots just agreed to a one-year deal with free-agent wide receiver Donte Stallworth.
    Wow Ocho, Branch it was nice knowing you?
    REx's prediction in 2011

1. Jets will win division FAIL
    2. Jets beat the Patriots FAIL
    3. Jets will beat Giants FAIL
    4. Jets will win AFC FAIL
    5. Jets will win the SB FAIL
    6. Ravens will beat Pats FAIL

At the very least there's going to be some competition in training camp.

Quote Originally Posted by PatsFan2003 View Post
    At the very least there's going to be some competition in training camp.
    I think our 4 wideouts will look like this:

Hernandez
    Brady
    Lloyd, Welker----- O-line----- Gronk Stallworth
    REx's prediction in 2011

1. Jets will win division FAIL
    2. Jets beat the Patriots FAIL
    3. Jets will beat Giants FAIL
    4. Jets will win AFC FAIL
    5. Jets will win the SB FAIL
    6. Ravens will beat Pats FAIL

A litlte surprised by this. Not sure what Stallworth has left. Surprised they didn't just re-sign Branch. Not like they went with youth.

Pats now have 9 WRs under control including Welker:
    Welker, Lloyd, Edelman, Ochocinco, Slater, Anthony Gonzalez, Stallworth, Tiquan Underwood and Britt Davis.

I'd say only Welker and Lloyd are guaranteed roster spots. The rest are fighting for a spot. That is some serious competition. Edelman is a return guy and played DB last year. Slater is a special teams guy.

Stallworth is probably not much more than camp fodder. In all honesty though, I might rather have him as our 4th WR than Deion Branch - he's still 31 so it's not like he's completely over the hill, and I think he can do the same things Deion can at a lower cost and with a greater potential to break a big play.

I'd say that the locks are:

Welker, Lloyd, Edelman, Slater (not considering him a WR anymore, mostly a pure ST'er)

That probably leaves 2-3 slots for WRs. Ocho, Gonzo, Stallworth, Tiquan, Davis and Branch will be battling for a couple spots. I'd imagine that one of them will be a guy like Underwood/Davis/Gonzo who can fill a role on STs, and the ohter will be someone like Ocho/Stallworth/Branch to be the backup X/Z receiver.
    "I don't Twitter, I don't MyFace, I don't do any of those things, so I'd probably be the last to know."

- Bill Belichick on the social media exploits of Chad Ochocinco

Stallworth is a bigger target than Branch..he doesn't always need to be open to make a play. In addition, he's more likely to break a tackle than Branch. Branch was a great player, but he was always a player who played well in space...found the spots in coverage. The issue is that he cannot get to those spots as fast as he used to. I still want Branch on the team, but at the same time he needs to earn it. Branch would make a great mentor for any young WR's we might draft.
    "I would not join any club that would have someone like me for a member." - Groucho Marx

Stallworth is a bigger target but I'm not sure he can still make plays. He had 22 rec and 300 yards last season and that was his best season since 2007 with the Pats.

I think he's worth a look assuming this is a very cheap deal. He might prove to be an asset in this offense and the Pats should be able to tell in camp what Stallworth has left. I'm just not counting on him but I doubt the Pats are either.

I wouldn't mind them re-singing Branch for cheap and letting them all fight it out in camp. I don't really see room on the roster for both Branch and Stallworth.

Agreed henderson, maybe Stallworth doesn't have much left, but I always like the idea of bringing in cheap bodies who have produced in the past and can challenge the incumbents.
    "I don't Twitter, I don't MyFace, I don't do any of those things, so I'd probably be the last to know."

- Bill Belichick on the social media exploits of Chad Ochocinco