Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    JMR is offline defender of the high life
    Quote Originally Posted by McGruffHawk View Post
    JMR seems pretty tepid as well.
    He's unproven and comes with maybe more fanfare than expected given 2 starts. Smart risk though, I think. I was hoping for a guy with a bit bigger arm but then again, we don't have track stars for WRs.
    U MAD BRO??

I imagine even the Flynn-skeptics wouldn't have a problem with this because it's a cap-friendly deal that allows Flynn to prove himself first, and then make the big bucks.

Personally, I'm absolutely ecstatic about this considering the rumors over what Flynn was looking to get. Very smart signing IMO.

Meh... Imo, we just signed another CBJ, TJax type of a QB... A career backup type of a QB... Needless to say, I won't be going out to purchase his jersey anytime soon...

I'll support him and cheer for him as a our starting QB but my expectations for him aren't very high...

I like Flynn. Don't like that you signed him, but at least it's not Manning.
    "There were many ways of not burdening one's conscience, of shunning responsibility, looking away, keeping mum. When the unspeakable truth of the holocaust then became known at the end of the war, all too many of us claimed that they had not known anything about it or even suspected anything."

- Richard Von Weizsaecker

Quote Originally Posted by Anointed One View Post
    Meh... Imo, we just signed another CBJ, TJax type of a QB... A career backup type of a QB... Needless to say, I won't be going out to purchase his jersey anytime soon...

I'll support him and cheer for him as a our starting QB but my expectations for him aren't very high...
    I think calling him another CBJ is unfair (given what CBJ ended up being, and I'm speaking as a formerly unabashed CBJ supporter over the alternatives). Another T-Jax? Maybe right now he's not much better, but Flynn brings something to the position T-Jax can't and never will: hope. Flynn could actually grow into competent or better at the position. Jackson will never get there.
    "Personal foul, 69, offense. He was giving him the business."

Well you may be right but what was our better option? We got a VERY cap friendly deal for a QB that has a LOT more upside than what we have. Had Barkley gone pro things may have been different but, IMO, Flynn is EASILY the best option available to us.
    The trouble with the world today is the intelligent people are full of doubt and the dumb people are full of confidence - Charles Bukowski

Quote Originally Posted by flyerhawk View Post
    Well you may be right but what was our better option? We got a VERY cap friendly deal for a QB that has a LOT more upside than what we have. Had Barkley gone pro things may have been different but, IMO, Flynn is EASILY the best option available to us.
    This is about where I'm at too. This was realistically our best case scenario.

What's not to like, he's young but slightly experienced and well trained as a pro. He is familiar with the west coast style O. He sees the whole field and makes quick decisions. He has a solid college pedigree and was a National Champion QB with LSU. He has a quick release and not a hitchy delivery. He is accurate, has a good arm and though his deep ball isn't elite it is good enough to be a weapon commanding respect. His cap cost is reasonable and in fact comparatively low. Best of all he didn't cost the team a draft pick while giving us a QB who has had several years of pro training to allow him to seize the starter's job.

Assessing our options w/o question he was the best available option b/c Manning didn't want to come here. As an aside, save that one in your memory bank going forward, so we can give PM a warm Seattle welcome next time he appears in town. I'm psyched by this addition and finally we have a good young QB with an upside on the team, one who just may turn into the QBOTF.

Great job P&J! He's a very good addition to the team.
    Seattle Seahawks, winners of SuperBowl XLVIII, what an amazing season!

Quote Originally Posted by flyerhawk View Post
    You're right, he was probably the best option for us at this time... Seems like Seahawk land (not necessarily referring to you guys on this board) believe that we've got our future... Hawk fans keep comparing him to Hass... A guy who played a few years under the GB system, while being a late round draft pick... Not many late round draft picks make it in the pro's as a starter... Of course, there are a few exceptions to the rule but the likelihood of it happening are slightly minimal... I don't see him being anymore than a game manager for us... Did we land that guy that beat's the odd's? I hope so...

It's just hard to get excited about him personally because I really don't expect him to be any better than what we have now... Cap friendly deal? Of course it is... Prop's to mgmt for making this deal... A three year deal is a bit easier to swallow than a 5 year deal...

If we dont' draft a QB this year, I won't be very happy with the signing of Flynn...
    Last edited by Anointed One; 03-19-2012 at 03:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MKHawk View Post
    I think calling him another CBJ is unfair (given what CBJ ended up being, and I'm speaking as a formerly unabashed CBJ supporter over the alternatives). .
    I was more-or-less speaking of him being a stop gap type of a QB than anything else... A backup... I don't believe he'll be as bad as CBJ imo... If he is, then Schneider needs to be fired...

You're right, he was probably the best option for us at this time... Seems like Seahawk land (not necessarily referring to you guys on this board) believe that we've got our future... Hawk fans keep comparing him to Hass... A guy who played a few years under the GB system, while being a late round draft pick... Not many late round draft picks make it in the pro's as a starter... Of course, there are a few exceptions to the rule but the likelihood of it happening are slightly minimal... I don't see him being anymore than a game manager for us... Did we land that guy that beat's the odd's? I hope so...

It's just hard to get excited about him personally because I really don't expect him to be any better than what we have now... Cap friendly deal? Of course it is... Prop's to mgmt for making this deal... A three year deal is a bit easier to swallow than a 5 year deal...

If we dont' draft a QB this year, I won't be very happy with the signing of Flynn...
    I don't think there's any way the Hawks take a QB in the first 3 rounds after signing Flynn. If they move for a QBotF it will be next year IMO
    "Personal foul, 69, offense. He was giving him the business."

Quote Originally Posted by MKHawk View Post
    I don't think there's any way the Hawks take a QB in the first 3 rounds after signing Flynn. If they move for a QBotF it will be next year IMO
    Then I definitely wouldn't be happy with them putting all their eggs into the Flynn basket... We did that last year with Jackson/CBJ and now we're stuck with Flynn... How many teams' backups are we going to go after before we get our QBOTF?

I think Flynn's ceiling is somewhere in that Mattie H. range. Not elite, but good enough to get who where you need to go. I think jammer overrates his arm and deep ball a bit. I wouldn't say his arm is "good" even now, although its good enough, and I don't think anyone is going to respect his deep ball. But what he does have is very good field IQ, excellent accuracy, and a competitive drive.

He reminds me a bit of Hass, actually. Even his sideline/locker room demeanor is reported to be very clown-ish. Matt probably had a slightly better arm, but I think Flynn probably will take less chances because of his weakness there.

Then I definitely wouldn't be happy with them putting all their eggs into the Flynn basket... We did that last year with Jackson/CBJ and now we're stuck with Flynn...
    I'm interested to see what kind of strides Portis is making. I really get the feeling they are comfortable with developing his raw talent.

Quote Originally Posted by McGruffHawk View Post
    I think Flynn's ceiling is somewhere in that Mattie H. range. Not elite, but good enough to get who where you need to go. I think jammer overrates his arm and deep ball a bit. I wouldn't say his arm is "good" even now, although its good enough, and I don't think anyone is going to respect his deep ball. But what he does have is very good field IQ, excellent accuracy, and a competitive drive.

He reminds me a bit of Hass, actually. Even his sideline/locker room demeanor is reported to be very clown-ish. Matt probably had a slightly better arm, but I think Flynn probably will take less chances because of his weakness there.
    I just hope we have the perfect system for him... Matt was definitely a system QB as well... The IQ, competitive drive and leadership was Hass' best attributes... We tried to throw the ball down the field more last year to loosen things up for our running game... If our running game can be top 10, then it could work... I don't see us throwing the ball down the field much with Flynn's arm... Even more pressing to get a solid running game going... Part of the reason I believe M. Bush would be a great addition...

I understand mgmt's plan and I can't fault them for it... On offense, get a solid running game, build the OL and bring in a game manager at the QB position...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast