Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 24 of 24
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    18,687
    You know what else it would take for me to deal down in the draft??? The Vikes signing a FA like Bell. I really don't want to watch another year with Charlie Johnson at LT.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    A van down by the river.
    Posts
    9,968
    Quote Originally Posted by ducky View Post
    If Tannenhill goes top 5, I am going to laugh my ass off.

    There is some sort of strange draft QB bubble that has been created in the last year that pretty much resembles the housing bubble that caused the economic collapse.

    That actually might work out really well for us if Ponder fails because in 2 years no team is going to be able to take a QB in the first round because of the idiotic commitments made to young guys on their roster which is going to cause certain QB's to be underdrafted in the future.

    As far as the trade down, I am with CV that a move down with Cle getting little in return would be just fine as long as they agreed to not take Kalil. If we were dropping down to the 8th spot, it would take a future 1st + at least a 3rd in this year's draft. If we did drop down that far, I would love to see them target Kuechly as a future leader of our defense. The problem with it is that we still would have one of the worst OL's moving forward after that.
    Regarding the commitments to young guys...I thought the new rules seriously cut down the financial commitment to draftees? Like it's not possible to draft QBs early, even if you do have a franchise guy...?

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    A van down by the river.
    Posts
    9,968
    Quote Originally Posted by Go11 View Post
    Pat Devlin from Delaware is the only QB on the Miami roster. If Flynn goes to Seattle they literally have no QB.

    We should do everything possible to make that work in our favor.

    Go11
    TEBOW!

    Only PARTLY kidding.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    A van down by the river.
    Posts
    9,968
    Trade back, trade back and trade back some more. You could trade back to a mid round pick via like 4 or 5 deals. Load up on second rounders.

    We're more than an offseason or two from competing. This team needs a massive influx of youth and talent. Trade back as much as you can to get 2nd and 3rds this year, and hopefully some picks next year as well. We need quantity over quality. Once we have the quantity of young top 3 round picks, then we can start looking for more quality. We're just REALLY bad.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Woodbury, MN
    Posts
    6,772
    Our 1st and Webb for their 1 and 2nd this year and their 1st next year.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    A van down by the river.
    Posts
    9,968
    Quote Originally Posted by Platz View Post
    Our 1st and Webb for their 1 and 2nd this year and their 1st next year.
    DONE! Seriously. For that deal, I'd give them Ponder and start Webb. Then I'd try to trade back again.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Richfield, MN
    Posts
    19,748
    Quote Originally Posted by Platz View Post
    Our 1st and Webb for their 1 and 2nd this year and their 1st next year.
    Miami or Cleveland? (or both)
    If the majority distributes among itself the things of a minority, it is evident that it will destroy the city. --Aristotle
    If we did all the things we are capable of, we would literally astound ourselves. - Thomas Edison

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    18,687
    Quote Originally Posted by VOTC View Post
    Regarding the commitments to young guys...I thought the new rules seriously cut down the financial commitment to draftees? Like it's not possible to draft QBs early, even if you do have a franchise guy...?
    Yes 1st round picks get paid less....but you still only get one a year.

    People have to remember that most GM's in the league at any point are two bad years away from being fired (unless you work for the Vikes where you can have paltry draft after paltry draft and get a new fancy title for your years of poor decisions). Most of the time they aren't going to select a QB in the first or early 2nd round unless they plan on starting that player in at least 1 year's time. How much a first rounder gets paid isn't going to change that.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    A van down by the river.
    Posts
    9,968
    Quote Originally Posted by ducky View Post
    Yes 1st round picks get paid less....but you still only get one a year.

    People have to remember that most GM's in the league at any point are two bad years away from being fired (unless you work for the Vikes where you can have paltry draft after paltry draft and get a new fancy title for your years of poor decisions). Most of the time they aren't going to select a QB in the first or early 2nd round unless they plan on starting that player in at least 1 year's time. How much a first rounder gets paid isn't going to change that.
    While I agree that you're right as far as having to make decisions for the now, that's simply an asinine way to run a business. If you plan long term in virtually every decision you make, you smooth out the highs and lows.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  






Fantasy Football Rankings


Part of USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties.