Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by WindyCityFlyer View Post
    Why would he involve the Dolphins in a lie? That's my point. He said both parties knew about the incident, if it wasn't dicussed, then that's a lie.

For all he knows, the Dolphins would come out and say that Marshall's incident was not discussed, in some interview or something....why would he risk exacerbating the situation with a lie?
    Not to mention if he is lying and the Dolphins want to get involved and start calling Emery a liar, it makes them look petty and could be a turn off for future potential trade partners.

Quote Originally Posted by thunderspirit View Post
    if Miami wants to stay rid of him, they'd have no incentive to contradict Emery.

no one is saying definitively that's what happened; indications are that it was known by the league office on Monday. what we're saying is, what people say (especially in multibillion dollar business ventures with very public faces) is sometimes -- maybe often -- very different from the truth.
    the trade wouldn't be reversed? What are you talking about? Why would that happen? You're grasping at straws, I can only guess.

If he didn't involve the Dolphins, and just said he had sources and knew of the situation, I could see your stance more, though know idea why I would jump to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigwill View Post
    Jeff Dickerson, Bears beat reporter foes ESPN Chicago, just said, literally, the exact same thing I did above. 'Emery says he knew, and you're free to believe him, but we don't know.' Wow, right?
    not really. Bears beat reporters say and imply stupid things...all the time. Hitch your wagon up though if it makes ya feel more secure in your stance. Doesn't do much to dissuade the logic I've applied.

Regardless, maybe Emery is a complete moron and didn't even think about ramifications if he lied here. I prefer to think he's not a moron. You prefer to think he is a moron, and a liar. To each there own, I guess its true neither of us know, I'm pretty comfortable with my stance as far as common sense rolls.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffaloaf View Post
    Not to mention if he is lying and the Dolphins want to get involved and start calling Emery a liar, it makes them look petty and could be a turn off for future potential trade partners.
    Not saying they will come out to specifically call Emery a liar. But why would they lie if asked by some reporter if Marshall's situation came up in trade talks, as seems highly likely to happen? They wouldn't so they would therefore have to lie for Emery themselves if the situation really didn't come up in talks as Emery implied.

peace
    "To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty.
    To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be."

"Stay low, keep your feet moving... Be perfect."

If I didn't believe in God, I would say I'm really lucky, but its not luck: I'm blessed

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." – Aristotle

Ok. This argument has descended into the absurd. I suggest everyone just stops because you're all going back and forth on a bunch of hypotheticals.

Can I change to a much more interesting topic: me! How about some credit for "The Kaiser?" I mean there I am hours after the trade is over and I'm thinking about this deal-- and start asking myslef-- wait a minute. Thus the original post of this thread.

And bam!, 40 mins later Shefter tweets "there was an incident" more to come. Half an hour after that we have Marshall's lawyer's statement and then an hour later the now infamous NY Post article.

Anyway, just want to say that I may need a sling because I think I just injured myself patting my own back :)

not really. Bears beat reporters say and imply stupid things...all the time. Hitch your wagon up though if it makes ya feel more secure in your stance. Doesn't do much to dissuade the logic I've applied.

Regardless, maybe Emery is a complete moron and didn't even think about ramifications if he lied here. I prefer to think he's not a moron. You prefer to think he is a moron, and a liar. To each there own, I guess its true neither of us know, I'm pretty comfortable with my stance as far as common sense rolls.
    I have no need to feel more secure in my stance. This is one of those rare instances where I know I'm right. It's not a matter of opinion. Because all I've said is that we don't know. And we don't.

The fact that you'd suggest that I 'prefer to think Emery is a moron and a liar' tells me all I need to know. I've already stated, at least twice, that I believe him. Why you've chosen to ignore that is beyond me.

Not saying they will come out to specifically call Emery a liar. But why would they lie if asked by some reporter if Marshall's situation came up in trade talks, as seems highly likely to happen? They wouldn't so they would therefore have to lie for Emery themselves if the situation really didn't come up in talks as Emery implied.

peace
    You assume that they have to answer with a "yes" or a "no," but I think the response would be nebulous and intentionally uninformative. e.g. "We discussed Brandon's off the field history and the Bears were comfortable with the talet:risk they assume." Even a, "We don't care to comment," would prevent them from lying and yet still not providing information.

The truth isn't always "if not A then B" or "if A then not B".

Props to Kaiser for the question.

I still like the trade.

I also agree with Bigwill that we can't/won't know for sure what was known or how much was known. Emery said the right thing regardless, but in every sport you have GMs saying we have no plans to trade this guy and then guy gets traded. Similar situation and part of the game.
    Basic, yes, but it was something we rarely saw under former Bears coordinator Ron Turner. Turner's idea of in-game adjustments involved his boxer shorts. -Rick Morrissey.

Hmm...

@dan_bernstein: A #Bears source I trust believes they had no idea about the Marshall incident before the trade. Completely pantsed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigwill View Post
    Hmm...

@dan_bernstein: A #Bears source I trust believes they had no idea about the Marshall incident before the trade. Completely pantsed.
    that's plausible. Jeff Ireland's got experience; Phil Emery doesn't.

it's also plausible that they found out late in the deal and evaluated on the fly -- rumors are that the deal has been in the works for some time now. none of us were in the room, so we don't really know.
    Your Chicago Bears: still learning about this newfangled thing called the "forward pass."

Quote Originally Posted by The Kaiser View Post
    Can I change to a much more interesting topic: me! How about some credit for "The Kaiser?" I mean there I am hours after the trade is over and I'm thinking about this deal-- and start asking myslef-- wait a minute. Thus the original post of this thread.

And bam!, 40 mins later Shefter tweets "there was an incident" more to come. Half an hour after that we have Marshall's lawyer's statement and then an hour later the now infamous NY Post article.

Anyway, just want to say that I may need a sling because I think I just injured myself patting my own back :)
    Can I join in?

http://forums.kffl.com/threads/29478...26#post5769526
    That the world is explicable is miraculous, and so explanations need not be the undoing of miracles.

We never learn anything, never in the world, and in spite of all the history books written. There’s a regular warehouse of fine suggestions, and if we’re not better it isn’t because there aren’t plenty of marvelous and true ideas to draw on, but because our vanity weighs more than all of them put together.

latest ESPN story i can find: link

alleged in the article:
    Quote Originally Posted by An unidentified source
    ...told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter that although the Bears knew there was an incident involving Marshall, the team didn't know the details or that he was being investigated by police.
    if that is, in fact, the case, this could be Phil Emery's checked-box moment.
    Your Chicago Bears: still learning about this newfangled thing called the "forward pass."

to be completely honest I don't care really whether we knew or not before the trade is completely irrelevent now. The simple fact is that Brandon Marshall is now a Bear and with that comes his baggage that is why his price was much lower than it should have been.

I still like the move as much now as I did at this time yesterday before any of the news got reported about the incident we just maynot have him on the roster for some of the early games this season. Trading for a player like Brandon Marshall will always have some risk to it but it sure is great that we atleast seem to be willing to try and make that move to push us over the top.
    Next thing you know they will take my thoughts away

per Twitter:
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad Biggs
    #Bears GM Phil Emery tells me team traded #Panthers 3rd rd pick this year and #Bears 3rd in 13 for Marshall
    so it's #73, not #80. not a huge deal, just cleaning things up.

You guys wanted a number 1 WR and you got him. So he has baggage or he doesn't, who really cares if he gets us to the promised land.

I wanted Andre Johnson as my one, and Calvin Johnson as my two. That would have been nice.

highly suspect "quote" -- what team owner is going to call a season ticket holder anyway? -- but worth noting anyway, i suppose.

link (quote is found on page 3 online)
    Quote Originally Posted by Quote of the Week III
    "[Ross] said they had been shopping him for a couple weeks. Nobody would return their phone calls about getting him. If Chicago didn't take him, they would have ended up cutting him very shortly after that."

-- Miami Dolphins season ticket holder Jason Lawrence, to the South Florida Sun-Sentinel. "Him'' is wide receiver Brandon Marshall. Lawrence talked about a phone call he got from owner Stephen Ross, who, according to Lawrence, said the team was lucky to get two third-round picks for troubled wideout Brandon Marshall.
    caveat emptor, and all that.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast