Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheeseland Vike View Post
    Winston has been a very good player on a very good (maybe the best?) OL in the league. I can't believe they cut him, not sure why? I would be better with spending big bucks on a tackle as opposed to a Guard.
    Assuming we take Kalil, does that mean Winston at RT and Loadholt slides to RG?

I would love those bookend tackles for the next 5-10 years!
    "I rooted for the Russians in 1980 because they were the better team." - Twolvesguy

The way I understand it, he was a cap casualty. Apparently they didn't want to pay the 5.5 million he was due.

Outside of getting killed by speed to the outside, I think Loadholt did fine. Loadholt is in a contract year. He's going to need a good year to get paid.

Quote Originally Posted by Platz View Post
    Outside of getting killed by speed to the outside, I think Loadholt did fine. Loadholt is in a contract year. He's going to need a good year to get paid.
    I generally agree that I think Loadholt is better than given credit for here, expecially the 2nd half of last season. Is he, or will he be a All-Pro? I don't think so, but I can think he can be at least a league average RT.

I guess it all comes down to what the front office thinks of Loadholt for this year and the future. Winston is a proven NFL player however, and almost certainly an upgrade (though also an older player).

I think, aside from a gaping hole at LT, this O-Line isn't nearly the problem the secondary (and WR), is.

Quote Originally Posted by Platz View Post
    Well, that is a very big part of the NFL now. You can't be weak against the rush today or your QB will get killed and your passing game will suffer.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheeseland Vike View Post

I think, aside from a gaping hole at LT, this O-Line isn't nearly the problem the secondary (and WR), is.
    I don't see how you can say this. The secondary is probably the most putrid unit we have but the OL has zero significantly above average players on it. Sullivan would be maybe somewhat above average, both OGs are complete unknowns, Kalil might be the LT, and Loadholt is at the very best average and in many games is so far below average that that he single-handedly shuts down our passing game.

To me it's more about the other option at RG. If the Vikes like Fusco or DeGeare at G or Lo e at T. Then I can see going im another direction. If not, adding Winston a.d Kalil makes this line formidable.

Assuming we can only get one high paid FA, I'd like Carr or Finnegan. Our secondary was atrocious. Getting a good player would be a massive upgrade.

Unfortunately, the same is true at WR, where no one outside of Percy can get any separation. Part of Loadholt's (and the OL overall) problems is that we couldn't keep TEs in to chip as often as we wanted, because tkaing them out of the pass pattern gave our QBs no one to throw to! Spielman correclt identified the need of both upgraded OL play but also playmakers. They go hand-in-hand in helping out your QB.

But there are so many WRs who would be upgrades, we don't have to sign a guy like Vincent Jackson to improve. I like L.Robinson. Good hands, body control. Injuries have held him back but he should be a good value buy. Garcon has great hands but poor focus (leading to drops). Meachem gets lost for long stretches of games and even seasons. Of course, either could start for us.

They have to get at least one, preferably 2, new safeties. Could Barron drop to us in Rd 2? I'm not super excited about any FA, except Landry on an incentive-laden, make-good deal.

Those CBs scare me. I don't think Carr is a $7M+ CB. Finnegan wasn't very good when I saw him last year. They are less than elite guys that will be overpaid to the extreme IMO.

I remember Carr (pretty sure anyway) getting roasted by Aromad when we played KC.

I'd rather go after the highest level players, i.e. Nicks, even if we could only get 1 of those guys and then fill in with others later.

I'd really like to get DT Red Bryant but I'm not sure what he is looking for or whether he'd consider coming here. The DT from Miami would be nice, too, but it sounds like he wants to go to a 3-4 team.

Have a feeling Vernon Carey will be a Viking before the end of the day.
    The poster formerly known as
    TEDBROWN23

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoViking View Post
    I don't see how you can say this. The secondary is probably the most putrid unit we have but the OL has zero significantly above average players on it. Sullivan would be maybe somewhat above average, both OGs are complete unknowns, Kalil might be the LT, and Loadholt is at the very best average and in many games is so far below average that that he single-handedly shuts down our passing game.
    I agree with Cheeseland, too. While LT is probably the single biggest hole on the roster, the secondary as a whole needs to be overhauled, it legitimately needs 4 new starters! OL has at least a few positions in place, and it's easier to cover up for one or two holes on the OL than it is in the secondary.

Quote Originally Posted by Asgards Avenger View Post
    I agree with Cheeseland, too. While LT is probably the single biggest hole on the roster, the secondary as a whole needs to be overhauled, it legitimately needs 4 new starters! OL has at least a few positions in place, and it's easier to cover up for one or two holes on the OL than it is in the secondary.
    I don't really trust any of the coaches to determine a single thing about good DBs. Their track record isn't exactly good.

I don't think its easy to cover up holes on the OL or in the secondary. Was it easy to cover up Loadholt on passing downs? LOL, no.

http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci...b-brandon-carr

Vikings aren't in line for CB Brandon Carr
    By Jeremy Fowler
    jfowler@pioneerpress.com
    Posted: 03/13/2012 12:01:00 AM CDT
    Updated: 03/13/2012 02:30:31 PM CDT

Despite the need for a top cornerback, the Minnesota Vikings are not expected to enter the free agency bidding for Kansas City Chiefs cornerback Brandon Carr, according to two people with knowledge of the situation.

Carr, 25, has eight interceptions and 65 pass deflections in four NFL seasons and would seem a good fit for the Vikings because of his age and ability. Carr and Tennessee's Cortland Finnegan are considered the two best corners in free agency.

Free agency begins at 3 p.m. CDT. The Vikings could be in the market for cornerbacks and wide receivers to help quarterback Christian Ponder, the team's 2011 first-round draft pick.

News:

Vikings resigned Guion to three year deal.

Chicago gets Brandon Marshall from Miami in exchange for a pair of 3rd round picks.

Am I the only one who has never heard of Brandon Carr until today? If he's so good why are the Chiefs letting him go and basically choosing Stanford Routt over him?
    The poster formerly known as
    TEDBROWN23

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast