Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nastradamus View Post
    But from what I remember, Kap was considered a high character, high IQ guy who was a good interview as well. Also, like I said above, is the throwing motion an actual issue on the field?
    Very true regarding Kaeps character.
    As smart as the internet

We're all Bozo's on this bus.~FST

Quote Originally Posted by The Q View Post
    I don't understand what was gimmicky about RG3s offense. Yes he threw some of those short screens, which...guess what are pretty common now in todays NFL.

He made every throw imaginable at Baylor. Go watch that TCU game. Name a throw he DIDN'T make there. Or the OU game.

You know I respect Locker as a college player. IMO he's better than Tebow because he was dominant with significantly less talent (and wouldn't have lost badly like Tebow did his soph and sr years with the kind of loaded teams he had). But he's simply not on RG3's level. Especially in regards to accuracy.
    I just don't agree on the accuracy. Locker is very accurate. I've shown you the numbers before. When you compare his completion % to the distance his throws were going he stacks up very well, and thats with god awful WRs and OL. I'm not saying Griffin can't make a particular throw, but can he set his feet, make the reads and make the throw in a tight window with the right combo of touch,timing and velocity? Very possibly so, I just think its fair to say we don't know yet. HE can't do the backyard football stuff as much in the pros.

Gimmicky might not be fair, but its a typical spread, read option. Lots of open WRs, lots of easy throws, and he never had to read a defense. However, QBs have come out of these systems lately too. Its hardly an NFL offense with multiple reads though. Newton's was much less NFL like and I still believed in him, same for Bradford, so I'm not exactly ripping the guy apart for his offense either.

Edit -Also there is some worry about him taking hits regularly with that frame.
    Last edited by Nastradamus; 03-13-2012 at 04:24 PM.
    "Governing doesn’t disappear when government shrinks; instead corporations come to govern your life — like HMO’s, oil companies, drug companies, agribusiness, and so on, with accountability only to maximizing profit, not to public needs." - George Lakoff

If you can make all the throws, as he's proven he can, there's no questioning his "polish" as a passer. That's what simply doesn't make sense to me.
    Mac9, to the true warrior. the ultimate competitor and the most worth adversary any athlete has ever faced off against. He was an inspiration for both his on the field play, off the field contributions and his leadership. The world is now a worse place without him.

"Have the courage to have your wisdom regarded as stupidity" - Justice Antonin Scalia

"Just because you're the lone voice in the wilderness, it doesn't mean you're wrong."
    - Ghandi

Best breakdown of him I've seen .

http://draftbreakdown.com/scouting-r...rt-griffin-iii
    "Governing doesn’t disappear when government shrinks; instead corporations come to govern your life — like HMO’s, oil companies, drug companies, agribusiness, and so on, with accountability only to maximizing profit, not to public needs." - George Lakoff

Quote Originally Posted by The Q View Post
    If you can make all the throws, as he's proven he can, there's no questioning his "polish" as a passer. That's what simply doesn't make sense to me.
    Link I posted breaks it down pretty well. Timing isn't great nor is his pocket presence, behind his WRs at times, doesn't plant and transfer weight well and footwork overall needs work, never had to make reads or face man coverage is of course the biggest issue. I'm not a hater though, with his smarts and talents he has a good chance to develop and succeed. I just think he's more raw than he's being made out to be right now.

I mean, most #3 QBs in the NFL can "make all the throws".

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoViking View Post
    Kaepernick is basically just a right handed Tebow without the intangibles. Terrible throwing motion, he is like a submariner in baseball.
    Please. CK throws the ball far better than Tebow. The throwing motion is quirky but the Niners haven't tried to change it much because he gets the ball off quickly. Doesn't matter how it comes out as long as it's fast and gets where it needs to go.

Kap was probably taken a round higher than he should have been because of the lack of viable prospects after him. A lot of QB's went higher than expected last year. Just one of those years where there was a run on QB's.

Link I posted breaks it down pretty well. Timing isn't great nor is his pocket presence, behind his WRs at times, doesn't plant and transfer weight well and footwork overall needs work, never had to make reads or face man coverage is of course the biggest issue. I'm not a hater though, with his smarts and talents he has a good chance to develop and succeed. I just think he's more raw than he's being made out to be right now.

I mean, most #3 QBs in the NFL can "make all the throws".
    That was a good breakdown in the link. The guy is supremely gifted physically but he's hardly shown that he's ready to step in and run an NFL offense. I'm guessing Shanahan will put in some of the spread stuff he ran at Baylor to get him acclimated to the pros.

Quote Originally Posted by LASam View Post
    Please. CK throws the ball far better than Tebow. The throwing motion is quirky but the Niners haven't tried to change it much because he gets the ball off quickly. Doesn't matter how it comes out as long as it's fast and gets where it needs to go.

Kap was probably taken a round higher than he should have been because of the lack of viable prospects after him. A lot of QB's went higher than expected last year. Just one of those years where there was a run on QB's.
    Throwing motions tend to stick out like a sore thumb. You should know as a 49ers fan how many of our own fanbase think Kaepernick will never amount to anything strictly because of that throwing motion.

I agree with others that Griffin is a much more polished product and a bit more "traditional" but I think with time Kaepernick will impress out there. The throwing motion is the only issue with him imo, smart, hard working and has all the physical talents necessary to be a good QB. With time and Harbaugh's coaching he will be. But Griffin is more NFL ready and needs less tinkering/babying.
    Draft well and then coach em up!

Find the next Ronnie Lott & Justin Smith & Jerry Rice & Deion Sanders

I think both will be studs. What we consider traditional standards for QBs is being thrown out the window. Kaep is a winner too, I loved that guy in college even when he went against one of my teams.

I can't imagine how someone can say that about Cam still after what he just came out and proved.
    Proved an ability to turn the ball over at a high rate?

Quote Originally Posted by JonBlaze View Post
    Kaep is a winner too
    Barf.

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoViking View Post
    Kaepernick is basically just a right handed Tebow without the intangibles. Terrible throwing motion, he is like a submariner in baseball.
    Tebow is probably hyperbole, but I lean way closer to this than thinking that Kaep is even close to RGIII as a QB prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by seahawksfan837 View Post
    Proved an ability to turn the ball over at a high rate?
    Was it really all that high of a rate for a rookie? More TDs than INTs, 60% completions rate, 4000 yards, 85 rating and 7.84 ypa is a pretty good passing line for a rookie QB. To say Robert Griffin will be "more pro ready" than someone who put up those numbers as a rookie, that's quite a statement. If he drops 3-5 INTs off and ups his TDs by at least 5, his turnover rate will hardly be an issue. Pretty unfair criticism I'd say. Hardly an alarming amount of INTs on 518 attempts. Nor were his fumbles anything of note.

Quote Originally Posted by seahawksfan837 View Post
    Barf.
    haha, sore spot?

I think it's more of reading progression than throwing motion with Kap.

The amount time a College QB has to throw the ball compared to an NFL QB is very different. QBs like RGIII and Kap are RIGHTHALF-1-2-Run or RIGHTHALF-1-2-Throwaway. QBs.
    That progression can be about 6 seconds and College. In the NFL that is usually shorter than 4 seconds.

RGIII

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMm2qGMGV8Q

The throw itself isn't gorgeous, but watch how RGIII goes from LEFT-Read1-LEFT-Read2--SCRAMBLE-RIGHTDEEP. He used his eyes to misguide the DEEP safety and allow his man to go to the corner. This is a 3 READ NFL throw in 4 seconds. It's a reason why coaches believe that he'll do well in the pros.

but the truth is that you have to LOOK deep to find Kaepernick throwing an NFL Style Throw. I wasn't high on Cam Newton because I doubted his discipline to get to LEFT-READ1-LEFT-READ2-RUN in under 3 seconds. But his coaches had faith in him and that's why he looked like Superman in year 1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEzwj...eature=related

The Nevada PISTOL is literally PLAYACTION-READ1-BOOTLEGRUN but more like PLAYACTION-BOOTLEG.

He reads off the DE quickly and uses the Conventional Defensive Timing of READ1-READ2 to run. He decides on whether he'll throw in pre-read. Play Action in Pistol is meant to disrupt the defensive end and mike backer (like an option). Play Action in the NFL is meant to disrupt the safeties. When I watch film on CK in shotgun, he scrambles and reads just one player.
    His passes were high-percentage plays that work in college (bubble screens and play-action-post). Against NFL corners stengh and ability to adjust their hips, I couldn't see him starting under he gets 1 or 2 offseasons. Not only did he buy time in college w/ scramblng but he took 6-7 seconds at times to get to his 2nd read.

As a QB, it's hard for me to believe that , under pressure, CK could ever become a LEFT1-CENTER2-DROPOFFRIGHT-3 QB like Luck, RGIII, Brees, or Manning. He has the brain and character to do it, but the NFL expects QBs to get this within months when it really takes 4-5 years to master (ie Aaron Rodgers).

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast