Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nastradamus View Post
    He does have an incredibly akward throwing motion, but the main hang up there was his release and he proved to have the quickest release time of all the QBs in that draft IIRC, as well as pretty solid accuracy. People seem to be misremembering how Kaepernick was talked about this time last year. People were saying everything they are saying about Griffin, only he wasn't rated as high mostly due to his school and offense.

I really wish YK would chime in.
    To be fair I didn’t understand why so many people thought Kaep, with his throwing motion and coming out of that high school offense he ran in college, was considered as a 1st or 2nd round draft pick last year. He was a guy that traditionally is a mid to late round QB prospect.

You will never see a NFL draft again like last year where teams reached 2 or 3 full rounds for every half ass QB prospect all because free agency hadn't happened yet and they were afraid of where they would be on the QB carousel when the music stopped.

....and sadly for me my team was the worst offender in that regard.
    Last edited by ducky; 03-12-2012 at 06:46 PM.

I was a big Kaepernick fan. He was always going to be a development player. I think it's wierd how many people are passing judgments on last year's picks when they never got any preparation for the season.
    Anyone who conducts an argument by appealing to authority is not using his intelligence; he is just using his memory. - Leonardo da Vinci

I can't imagine how someone can say that about Cam still after what he just came out and proved.
    You'll see... the difference is between the ears.

Quote Originally Posted by puddycat View Post
    I was a big Kaepernick fan. He was always going to be a development player. I think it's wierd how many people are passing judgments on last year's picks when they never got any preparation for the season.
    I would have told you last year at this time that Kaep was at his very best a 3rd or 4th round type of developmental guy too. It has nothing to do with what he did or didn't do last season. He did exactly what everyone should have expected him to do last season....sit on the bench. There was zero chance he was ever going to be able to competently run an NFL offense last season. That is a big part of what makes him a mid round prospect and not an early 2nd round prospect.

...if he is in this draft he probably would be fighting Cousins and Osweiller for being the 5th or 6th QB taken somewhere around the 4th round.

Kaepernick is basically just a right handed Tebow without the intangibles. Terrible throwing motion, he is like a submariner in baseball.

I think Griffen is the better prospect. He's got a cleaner throwing motion out of college and has shown more accuracy. I don't think his arm is as strong. I think running ability wise they are comparable with Griffen being faster but Kaepernick being tougher to tackle.
    "There were many ways of not burdening one's conscience, of shunning responsibility, looking away, keeping mum. When the unspeakable truth of the holocaust then became known at the end of the war, all too many of us claimed that they had not known anything about it or even suspected anything."

- Richard Von Weizsaecker

He's somewhat similar to Kap but he's just better at everything. Better athlete, cleaner throwing motion, better deep ball, better production in college (against much tougher competition), has a bit more experience in NFL reads/throws. That, and he is just a phenomenal interviewer. Don't think for a second that his eloquence/polish and reported work ethic aren't helping his stock. That's not to say Kap has Jamarcus Russell's work ethic and Belichick's savvy with the media, but Griffin seems to have that "it" factor whenever he talks with someone, be it coach, teammate or sports reporter.
    "I don't Twitter, I don't MyFace, I don't do any of those things, so I'd probably be the last to know."

- Bill Belichick on the social media exploits of Chad Ochocinco

I love Kaepernick, but Griffin is more ready to play right now. As others have pointed out, his footwork and release is cleaner, he comes from a system that has a better track record of success in the NFL than the pistol. Long term, I think Kaepernick compares very well. But Griffin is the more pro-ready player.

I can't even believe this is a serious thread.

They're not even on the same planet prospect-wise.

The last 2 years it's Newton, RGII and Luck

and then the grand canyon gulf....

and then there's someone else who's barely relevant compared to those 3.
    Mac9, to the true warrior. the ultimate competitor and the most worth adversary any athlete has ever faced off against. He was an inspiration for both his on the field play, off the field contributions and his leadership. The world is now a worse place without him.

"Have the courage to have your wisdom regarded as stupidity" - Justice Antonin Scalia

"Just because you're the lone voice in the wilderness, it doesn't mean you're wrong."
    - Ghandi

Quote Originally Posted by eaglesnut View Post
    You'll see... the difference is between the ears.
    Wow, agree to disagree I guess. I think the between the ears stuff is what makes Newton most special. Physical skills only go so far. Griffin is not as polished or accurate as a passer IMHO. Newton didn't get much experience at it in college, but he displayed pocket presence and mechanics beyond his years.
    "Governing doesn’t disappear when government shrinks; instead corporations come to govern your life — like HMO’s, oil companies, drug companies, agribusiness, and so on, with accountability only to maximizing profit, not to public needs." - George Lakoff

Wow, agree to disagree I guess. I think the between the ears stuff is what makes Newton most special. Physical skills only go so far. Griffin is not as polished or accurate as a passer IMHO. Newton didn't get much experience at it in college, but he displayed pocket presence and mechanics beyond his years.
    I'm amazed at how people think Newton is dumb but he was able to run that picture book play calling offense that no team was able to figure out despite having the ability to tape them and try to decipher it.

That alone tells me how smart Newton is.
    Mac9, to the true warrior. the ultimate competitor and the most worth adversary any athlete has ever faced off against. He was an inspiration for both his on the field play, off the field contributions and his leadership. The world is now a worse place without him.

"Have the courage to have your wisdom regarded as stupidity" - Justice Antonin Scalia

"Just because you're the lone voice in the wilderness, it doesn't mean you're wrong."
    - Ghandi

Quote Originally Posted by The Q View Post
    I can't even believe this is a serious thread.

They're not even on the same planet prospect-wise.

The last 2 years it's Newton, RGII and Luck

and then the grand canyon gulf....

and then there's someone else who's barely relevant compared to those 3.
    I don't mean to completely discredit Griffin, but at the same time, I don't see him as the elite prospect you and others do. I don't see him as an obvious top 5 QB type. I certainly don't see him as a better prospect than Locker for that matter while we're at it. I'd have loved to have seen Griffin in an offense like that, with no talent around him and consistently having to make tough mid range throws. Not saying he'd have failed, but it would be a better litmus test of his NFL abilities.

I also don't mean to artificially prop up Kaepernick, and I know the scouting reports weren't unanimous, but a lot of people said the same types of things about CK that they are saying about Griffin. He's a phenomenal athlete, a very high character guy and has a rocket for an arm. Good passing numbers, won games etc. Yah, his offense was gimmicky, but so was Newton's, and Griffin's to a lesser extent. Didn't stop Newton from

Yes, he has a funky throwing motion, but it never seemed to cause a problem either. He seemed to be pretty accurate with it and proved to have a quick release, the biggest concern with his motion. Its not a Tebow issue where his throwing motion seems to cause obvious problems with accuracy and release point/time.

Again though, not meaning as much to directly compare them as to break down Griffin as a prospect and whether he is as deserving of his standing as people are making it seem. I thought doing so by comparing him to another physical specimen without an obvious flaw on paper was an interesting way to do so.
    Last edited by Nastradamus; 03-13-2012 at 04:15 PM.
    "Governing doesn’t disappear when government shrinks; instead corporations come to govern your life — like HMO’s, oil companies, drug companies, agribusiness, and so on, with accountability only to maximizing profit, not to public needs." - George Lakoff

Quote Originally Posted by The Q View Post
    I'm amazed at how people think Newton is dumb but he was able to run that picture book play calling offense that no team was able to figure out despite having the ability to tape them and try to decipher it.

That alone tells me how smart Newton is.
    Not to mention I consider him an incredible leader and worker. He will win Super Bowls, guaranteed

I don't understand what was gimmicky about RG3s offense. Yes he threw some of those short screens, which...guess what are pretty common now in todays NFL.

He made every throw imaginable at Baylor. Go watch that TCU game. Name a throw he DIDN'T make there. Or the OU game.

You know I respect Locker as a college player. IMO he's better than Tebow because he was dominant with significantly less talent (and wouldn't have lost badly like Tebow did his soph and sr years with the kind of loaded teams he had). But he's simply not on RG3's level. Especially in regards to accuracy.

- Ghandi

Quote Originally Posted by ItIsWhatItIs View Post
    He's somewhat similar to Kap but he's just better at everything. Better athlete, cleaner throwing motion, better deep ball, better production in college (against much tougher competition), has a bit more experience in NFL reads/throws. That, and he is just a phenomenal interviewer. Don't think for a second that his eloquence/polish and reported work ethic aren't helping his stock. That's not to say Kap has Jamarcus Russell's work ethic and Belichick's savvy with the media, but Griffin seems to have that "it" factor whenever he talks with someone, be it coach, teammate or sports reporter.
    But from what I remember, Kap was considered a high character, high IQ guy who was a good interview as well. Also, like I said above, is the throwing motion an actual issue on the field?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast