Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Washington Post saying Redskins had bounty system when Gregg Williams was there.

I recall the hit on Manning in 2006 that very well may have started all these neck issues. That was a dirty play on a star QB.

Quote Originally Posted by Marley View Post
    IMO, there's a difference between the NFL making money selling those types of videos and players being rewarded by a team for intentionally trying to hurt other players. It may be a fine line, but it's there and NO appears to have crossed it.
    Actually, it's not really a fine line, it is more like the Grand Canyon. As reported, this involves players being paid ""bounties" to injure players on other teams sufficient enough to force them out of the game. These are not ""big hits" as such; these are deliberate acts intended to injure other players - and to collect extra money for doing it. Hard collisions and bone jarring tackles and blocks are well within the rules and integrity of the NFL game. But paying cash incentives to injure players on the other team is way, way over the edge. More often than not, players don't get hurt by getting blocked or tackled hard or in fierce collisions downfield. It is a lot easier to inflict serious injury when you deliberately go after a knee or ankle or shoulder or, when a player in vulnerable by late/out of bounds hits when the player isn't expecting it or, serious infractions like crackbacks and facemask.

If what has been reported today holds up and is as bad as initially reported, I think the Saints are facing the forfeiture of something like 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round draft picks for at least two years as well as very heavy fines levied against the players who participated and the coaches and front office that allowed or encouraged it.

Beyond that, if I am a player whose career was shortened or was materially damaged in any way by the actions of the New Orleans Saints, its management and/or coaching staff and players as part of a deliberate effort to injure me in order to collect a "bounty" paid by the team inv violation of the NFL rules and the CBA, I'm going to seek appropriate damages in a lawsuit.

Tainted ring for New Orleans...

Check out some of these lines from the 2006 Redskins/Colts recap:

"After being bent over awkwardly twice in the first half, losing his helmet and once appearing hurt, the two-time MVP knocked out the Washington Redskins with three third-quarter touchdown passes Sunday as the Indianapolis Colts rolled to a 36-22 victory."

"Manning declined to elaborate on what he hurt on the first big hit, when one defender grabbed his legs and Phillip Daniels hit him high."

The Saints are going to get destroyed by this, and rightfully so. I agree with Bern. A lot of draft picks is very warranted. This is far worse than spy gate. Spy gate was terrible, but this is the kind of stuff that can destroy a persons life (not only football career, but ability to make money period).

I won't be surprised to see players sue the Saints by the way. It will be curious to see how they handle that or if they can.
    "There were many ways of not burdening one's conscience, of shunning responsibility, looking away, keeping mum. When the unspeakable truth of the holocaust then became known at the end of the war, all too many of us claimed that they had not known anything about it or even suspected anything."

- Richard Von Weizsaecker

Quote Originally Posted by Iggloo View Post
    Tainted ring for New Orleans...
    Also obvious they were taking cheap shots on Favre in the Championship.
    "There were many ways of not burdening one's conscience, of shunning responsibility, looking away, keeping mum. When the unspeakable truth of the holocaust then became known at the end of the war, all too many of us claimed that they had not known anything about it or even suspected anything."

Both John Clayton and Schefter think they will be punished MUCH harder than New England was for Spygate.

It'll be interesting to see if Goodell is truly interested in "player safety".

Yeah, it really puts the beating they laid on Favre in a different light. It's worth noting that Williams is a disciple of Buddy Ryan. These are classic Buddy Ryan tactics.

I also think Williams should get banned from the league.

Quote Originally Posted by StillSwinging View Post
    Williams should be banned from the league
    If it's true that he set up and administered that system in NO, and also had a bounty system with his last team in Washington, I actually wouldn't be surprised by that. I would at the very least doubt he will be coaching this full season. I think on the light end he is out for 4 games, probably more than that.

They have 50,000 pages of documents on this? Damn.

Hopefully some dork won't be shredding the papers outside Goodell's office this weekend.

I don't think players were laying a beating on Favre just for an extra $1500. Just saying.

Coming from the players, this doesn't really surprise me. Defensive football players are crazy, violent and rich. It's their jobs and the Saints took it a step too far.

The part that is unquestionably more important and stupid is the organisation being involved. Gregg Williams needs a severe penalty, as does the Saints organisation. I bet we'll lose our second this year and first and second next year. Along with stiff fines for Mickey Loomis and Sean Payton.
    "The combination of all of those things - the line, the tight ends, the backs, the receivers, the quarterback, the coaching, the system - they give you a lot of different things to defend. You might be good at handling some of them, but it's hard to be good at handling all of them and then the ones that you're not good at, then of course that's what you're going to see the most of... They're good." - Bill Belichick

You deserve to lose multiple firsts, seconds and thirds. This **** has no business in football and neither does Gregg Williams or any of his staff.

Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast