Page 1 of 44 12311 ... LastLast

This is what racism looks like in America today

We have lots of discussions about race here. And typically the debate revolves around whether the racism of the past exists(i.e. overt violence/speech against a group). But that really isn't how racism today manifests itself today. At least not in my experience. Racism today comprises mostly people talking privately to each other and stating their true feelings. I've seen it countless times. At the work place. In social circles. Once a person feels comfortable about speaking about their racism, they let it all out.

So a judge in Montana sent out the following email to a few friends...

Quote Originally Posted by Chief U.S. District Judge Richard Cebull
    “Normally I don’t send or forward a lot of these, but even by my standards, it was a bit touching. I want all of my friends to feel what I felt when I read this. Hope it touches your heart like it did mine.

“A little boy said to his mother; ‘Mommy, how come I’m black and you’re white?’” the e-mail joke reads. “His mother replied, ‘Don’t even go there Barack! From what I can remember about that party, you’re lucky you don’t bark!’”
    The email got forwarded along until it eventually reached the desk of a journalist who reported on it.

When the judge was challenged on it he said....

“This is a private thing that was, to say the least, very poor judgment on my part,” Cebull said. “I did not forward it because of the racist nature of it. Although it is racist, I’m not that way, never have been.”
    So the problem wasn't that I sent it but that it wasn't intended for public consumption. And while he agrees that it is a racist comment that doesn't count because he isn't a racist. I'm sure he is friends with black people.

Now in itself I don't think the story has much national important. Some backwoods judges says something racist. Hardly the first, or last, time that has or will happen. What I found interesting was his response because it highlights how a lot of Americans think. It's the "I'm not a racist but I will certainly engage in racist humor or language if I don't think I'll be called out on it" argument.
    The trouble with the world today is the intelligent people are full of doubt and the dumb people are full of confidence - Charles Bukowski

'a lot of Americans' it highly subjective.

There are still racists, some overt, some covert, and that is regretable.

Without question, however, the problem with racism is only a fraction of what it was 40 years ago, and that is a good thing.
    A Drinking Team with a Cycling Problem

But what about the real problem, reverse racism?
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be."
    -Kurt Vonnegut "Mother Night"

It's a joke. Geez. And by the looks of his email sarcastic. Nothing to see here. Just a journalist who thought he got something juicy.

Racism in America today looks like oversensitivity.

So we're past hanging black folk from the ole hickory tree, no we just make fun of them in emails. Progress!
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Joseph Palmi: Let me ask you something... we Italians, we got our families, and we got the church; the Irish, they have the homeland, Jews their tradition; even the niggers, they got their music. What about you people, Mr. Wilson, what do you have?

Edward Wilson: The United States of America. The rest of you are just visiting.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    -George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by eaglesnut View Post
    It's a joke. Geez. And by the looks of his email sarcastic. Nothing to see here. Just a journalist who thought he got something juicy.

Racism in America today looks like oversensitivity.
    For once we agree 100%.

This has become a nation of fuggin' pansies. I honestly wonder what the WWII generation thinks, those that are left these days.
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Joseph Palmi: Let me ask you something... we Italians, we got our families, and we got the church; the Irish, they have the homeland, Jews their tradition; even the niggers, they got their music. What about you people, Mr. Wilson, what do you have?

Edward Wilson: The United States of America. The rest of you are just visiting.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    -George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Fandango View Post
    But what about the real problem, reverse racism?

Yes, I literally laughed.
    "Biologists must constantly keep in mind that what they see was not designed but rather evolved." - Francis Crick.

"For since the creation of the world, God's invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through what has been made, so that they are without excuse." - Romans 1:20

"It's one reason I hate reading what Tyke writes. It just annoys the hell out of me." - Big Pink Monkey

I, for one, am shocked that USAF is attempting to downplay this. Clearly nothing at all racist about saying the first black president was the product of a union between a dog and his white mother.
    Last edited by JackBauer; 03-01-2012 at 06:19 PM.
    Tell me where the bomb is or I will kill your son.

"Responsibility without conviction is weak, but it is sane. Conviction without responsibility, in the current incarnation of the Republican Party, is raving mad."

The hope it touches your heart like it did mine. line is just sad.

But from where I sit. That joke is insulting/hateful/whatever word or term you choose to use to B-rock's mom and her only. As opposed to a particular group.
    I'm your mama, I'm your daddy
    I'm that nigga in the alley
    I'm your doctor when in need
    Want some coke, have some weed
    You know me, I'm your friend
    Your main boy, thick and thin

I'm your pusherman
    I'm your pusherman

Ain't I clean, bad machine
    Super cool, super mean
    Dealin' good for the Man,
    Superfly, here I stand
    Secret stash, heavy bread
    Baddest bitches in the bed

I'm your pusherman
    I'm your pusherman
    I'm your pusherman

Quote Originally Posted by MarkItAZero! View Post
    This has become a nation of fuggin' pansies. I honestly wonder what the WWII generation thinks, those that are left these days.
    They'd want you to start another thread whining about something, obviously.
    "the blade itself incites to violence." - Homer

--

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." - Kung fu Monkey

Quote Originally Posted by JackBauer View Post
    I, for one, am shocked that USAF is attempting to downplay this. Clearly nothing at all racist about saying the first black president was the product of a union between a dog and his white mother.
    Monsanto and Bill Gates have patented the canine-human hybrid.

If I read that joke in a vacuum, I'd interpret it as she could've engaged in beastiality, due to it being a wild party.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFin View Post
    If I read that joke in a vacuum, I'd interpret it as she could've engaged in beastiality, due to it being a wild party.
    Right. Which totally would explain how he came out black. Maybe it was just a black Labrador
    Tell me where the bomb is or I will kill your son.

"Responsibility without conviction is weak, but it is sane. Conviction without responsibility, in the current incarnation of the Republican Party, is raving mad."

Quote Originally Posted by Breed View Post
    The hope it touches your heart like it did mine. line is just sad.

But from where I sit. That joke is insulting/hateful/whatever word or term you choose to use to B-rock's mom and her only. As opposed to a particular group.
    To each their own. The judge himself agrees that the joke is racist even if he tries to claim that he wasn't trying to be racist.

Honestly, that is problem. I actually believe the judge when he says that he wasn't trying to be racist. That doesn't change the fact that it was a racist joke.
    The trouble with the world today is the intelligent people are full of doubt and the dumb people are full of confidence - Charles Bukowski

Quote Originally Posted by BigFin View Post
    Sure if you ignore that the statement was in response to the child saying "Why are you white and I am black?"

Now you could interpret it in different ways. One would be that Obama's father was a dog. Another way to suggest that is that Obama's mother is so immoral and base that she would sleep with ANYTHING, including a dog.

Page 1 of 44 12311 ... LastLast